Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with Pentax-F 70-210 zoom

I just bought a Pentax-F 70-210mm zoom on line sight unseen and it arrived today. While it looks pretty good, I immediately found two issues. The first is that the zoom seems very stiff. I own 3 other F series zoom lenses (80-200, 35-70 and 35-135) and they all zoom smoothly and with little effort. This lens requires you to squeeze the zoom ring tightly and turn hard! Is this normal for this lens? The other issue is what appears to be fogginess or a film on the inside of the front element when you look at it in bright sunlight. There is also an apparent circle the size of a dime visible in that film. So much for buying online from Goodwill!

03-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not consider either of those conditions normal. My F70~210 zooms and focuses freely and the lens elements are clear.
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
I just bought a Pentax-F 70-210mm zoom on line sight unseen and it arrived today. While it looks pretty good, I immediately found two issues. The first is that the zoom seems very stiff. I own 3 other F series zoom lenses (80-200, 35-70 and 35-135) and they all zoom smoothly and with little effort. This lens requires you to squeeze the zoom ring tightly and turn hard! Is this normal for this lens? The other issue is what appears to be fogginess or a film on the inside of the front element when you look at it in bright sunlight. There is also an apparent circle the size of a dime visible in that film. So much for buying online from Goodwill!
If the lens hasn't been used for a while, then the stiffness may go away after some use. This was the case with my A series 35-105mm lens. Not sure about the AF lens, though...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That lens should zoom freely, and of course having haze on the inner elements is not normal.

As Adam states sometimes you can free up a stiff lens by exercising it. This loosens up grease that may have gotten stiff. However, I have only seen this on A series and older lenses, the F series and newer all generally seem to move freely. Possibly a different type of grease, possibly a different design. Or maybe I've just never run into one with the problem.

Anyway, just one more reason to never buy anything from goodwill.com. Hope you did not pay too much for it. Good, nearly mint, ones go for maybe $100 plus or minus.

03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had a second copy of this lens for a short time, which IIRC I had to send back to the private party I got it from. It sounds almost like you got the same lens. Perhaps the zoom stiffness happens more often on this particular model, but even if it does that doesn't mean it's OK.
03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help!

I appreciate all the responses, and figure I bought a bad lens. I'll see what the Goodwill Store in Eugene, OR that was selling the lens online decides to do. Hopefully they will refund my money, but you never know with all their disclaimers. You don't find any great deals on shopgoodwill.com and I think you take a much larger chance than on Ebay, where I have been stung before as well. That's what I get for exercising my LBA from the sticks!
03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The front element probably is separating. I have one like that but not unusable. The zoom should be like the F35-135 in effort.