Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Did I just get a bargain?

There's a pawn shop near me that very rarely gets cameras and lenses. When they get them, they tend to be very cheap, so sell very quickly. (e.g. I bought a Prinxflex 200mm lens and 2x teleconverter with a leather carry case for 10, or about $15).

I went in last week and saw what I thought was a load of K-mount lenses. I bought a set of extension tubes, a 50mm f2 Minolta lens, a 200mm f3.5 Vivitar Lens, and a 135mm f2.8 Hoya lens with a hard case, all for about 30, or roughly $45. Problem is, I didn't have my camera with me, so couldn't check the mount. When I got home, I found out that they're actually M/MD mounts.

Are there any decent, cheap adaptors I can buy to use them on my K-x, or should I just sell them on? I'm watching a ridiculously cheap Sony Alpha on Ebay at the moment, but assuming I don't get it, what should I do?

Thanks for any advice

03-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there is a k mount adapter. You could probably sell them, you can check ebay completed auction to see what they have been going for. Buy a Q and Q to Minolta adapter.
03-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Minolta lenses have shorter register distance than Pentax, making it near impossible to modify and there is no such adapter available. If you don't end up getting the Sony, you can always use them as doorstops, paperweights, etc... Possibilities are endless. They will work with a Q or m4/3 with appropriate adapters though.
03-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

There is a MD to K-mount adapter, but like the Nikon F and Canon FD adapters it has a corrective element to maintain infinity focus. It will act like a short tele-converter and reduce image quality at low apertures.

An Alpha won't do you much good either. The MD has a registration distance of 43.5mm, the Alpha has a register of 44.5mm. A NEX, M4/3, or Q is your best bet.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is a MD to K-mount adapter, but like the Nikon F and Canon FD adapters it has a corrective element to maintain infinity focus. It will act like a short tele-converter and reduce image quality at low apertures.

An Alpha won't do you much good either. The MD has a registration distance of 43.5mm, the Alpha has a register of 44.5mm. A NEX, M4/3, or Q is your best bet.
Lucky I didn't get the Alpha then!

I may try to get an adaptor, if it's cheap enough. I'm still figuring out the different types of photography, so I can handle a drop in IQ if it lets me get a feel for the type of lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If you don't end up getting the Sony, you can always use them as doorstops, paperweights, etc... Possibilities are endless.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited by Tippon; 03-08-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Formatting
03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look closely at the vivitar and Hoya lenses/mounts and perhaps photograph them to post here.

It could be that they are Tmounts which can be replaced,

Also, I have , with a little light machining, changed over a Minolta mount to a manual aperture Pentax mount, including maintaining infinity focus, so it is not completely lost. Tree re may be something to do, if you consider you are recovering money already spent.

The vivitar 200/3.5 could actually be quite good
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell

I found this thread here with a picture of a lens that looks very similar to the Hoya and Vivitar lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/163655-please-h...-converte.html

The inside of the mount, nearest the glass, has a very fine screw thread on both lenses. Hopefully they are T-mounts and can be replaced
03-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tippon, where are you in the UK ? I might trade those Minolta's for some PK lenses if that would help ?

03-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mount those Minolta-mount lenses on a Nex. Used Nex-3 go for ~US$200 (or less )
03-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lloydy: I'm in Aberdare, about 25 miles North of Cardiff. I may take you up on that offer, but I'm going to try getting a T-mount adaptor first. The advantage is, even if it doesn't work for these lenses, I can pick up a telescope in the future for astrophotography. I'm on the edge of the Brecon Beacons, which has just been designated as a Dark Sky area (no light pollution )
03-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm only up in Ironbridge, Shropshire. I'll PM you a list of what I've got that you might like.