Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One tough lens.. dropped and repaired

last weekend, I was doing an event photo shoot, after switching out the DA*50-135mm lens, in a hurry, I have forgotten to zip the pocket after I placed the lens back in my camera bag. Not paying attention to this, I pulled the bag up to my shoulder and ready to move, and then I heard a big booming sound like "PLAAAK"... I thought someone dropped something heavy near me... and I realized that oh, my lens!! then I saw the a camera front cap flying across the floor. The lens hood and the filter-window piece were also flying in other directions. Just realized that was my lens!! The poor lens was sliding across the floor (thank goodness, hardwood gym floor) with the rear lens cap was still in tact. I picked it quickly hoping for the best expecting the worse. Thankfully, no broken glass, just focus ring stuck and a cracked hood.

Took the lens to Pentax Canada repair shop the other day, they had replaced front frame (damaged with plastic latch pushed in) and the gear plate assembly (I guess it is the motor). With some glue to the hood (some cracks), the lens appears to be working fine now. I originally thought that the damage could be much worse (may be a complete write off), considering that it is dropped from 3-4 feet and like throwing a bowling ball. If it was on a concrete floor, it could be a complete damage, but still that is one tough lens. I am also happy that the new motor give the lens a newer (and better) life since it seems to focus so much snappier and accurate than before. All things considered, I am glad to have this lens back in good shape.

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lucky you
But, pentax stuff is quite rugged. I had once a similair accident, dropping my K20d on a tilefloor (not sure if written correctly, same sort of floor as in a bathroom) when I took my bag out of the locker at work (also unzipped). Checking the lens and testing the body it all seemed fine, no damage found. Only half a year later I discovered a very small crack in one of the seams of the body. That was 3 years ago and both lens and body still work.

Accidents like these make you grow old fast...
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Lucky you
But, pentax stuff is quite rugged. I had once a similair accident, dropping my K20d on a tilefloor (not sure if written correctly, same sort of floor as in a bathroom) when I took my bag out of the locker at work (also unzipped). Checking the lens and testing the body it all seemed fine, no damage found. Only half a year later I discovered a very small crack in one of the seams of the body. That was 3 years ago and both lens and body still work.

Accidents like these make you grow old fast...
Will definitely remember to zip the bag next time and every time before pulling it up the shoulder.
03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Well I have been there 2 or 3 years ago - although not so exotic glass: a 55-300 (attached to a K-x).

Mine was from a pack with two ways of accessing the camera. Got the camera out one way and put it back the other way leaving a flap undone (and its not obvious). Walked out to the garage (concrete floor) and rattle bump the lens and K-x fell out against my car and fell to the floor. Talk about ageing! How could I be so stupid!
I was absolutely amazed to see a couple of tiny minor scuffs on the camera and focus ring of lens but no other damage. What more they seemed to work fine afterwards. And both still work absolutely fine now.

Very impressed with Pentax build. And I now have a new camera pack with one point of access!