Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does Sigma Use Cheap Coatings?

I've had my Sigma 17-50 for a little over a month. Today, I was going to take some pictures and just as I was going to remove the lens cap, I fumbled the cap a bit and it touched the lens. When I looked at the lens closely, it looks like either the lens was scratched by the cap, or a piece of the coating came off. Originally, I thought that maybe it was just some dust. It doesn't feel like a scratch (feels smooth) so I do believe it is the coating. I haven't tried cleaning it (don't want to make it worse). Either way, I took pictures and there is no effect on the pictures (I also have no plans to sell the lens any time soon. It's my favorite lens right now).

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems crazy that this would happen. I have seen the abuse that lenses can take and not break or scratch so this is also leads me to believe that it's just some of the coating. Hoping for some recommendations on what to do. Thanks.

03-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have this lens but do have other Sigma lenses. As far as performance goes, modern Sigma coatings have a pretty good reputation - on similar level to Pentax coatings.
Not sure how delicate the coatings are compared to Pentax but I have a Sigma 17-70 and I now have a minor mark on lens coating thanks to Sigma's poorly designed lens cap (it is possible to scratch if cap does not go on straight at certain orientations of the cap!). So yes that is probably what you are seeing. Its unlikely to effect the photos but does not help the resale value of the lens unfortunately. I don't like using filters but for these Sigma lenses there is an argument (or get a better lens cap).

That said give cleaning a try... Use a blower first to remove any dust (and avoid dust scratches) before using a lens tissue with lens fluid. I quite like the eviteo-clear wet / dry packets - because they are sealed and guaranteed to be clean.
03-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have one modern Sigma lens and have not had a problem with coating scratches.

Steve
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure that's what it is (could be dust). Either way, doesn't matter. It doesn't affect the image quality at all and I got a great copy of the lens. No front or back focus issues and sharp in every way possible. Why would they put such a terrible cap on such an expensive lens?