Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read once that the infant mortality rate for electronic devices was substantially higher than that as they get older.

QuoteQuote:
The main difference between electrical and mechanical reliability is that generally speaking electronic systems do not wear out (with some exceptions). While there are debatably some wear out mechanisms such as electromigration and component parameter drift, electronic systems behave fundamentally different than mechanical ones. Typical to a discussion of reliability is the concept of the bathtub curve.
Read More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About It Here

03-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have recently dropped the DA* 50-135mm lens and thinking about a complete write-off and had also thoughts about replacing it with Sigma 50-150. However, after I took it over to Pentax Canada for service, they did it in two days to replace the front frame and motor, I changed my mind of replacing it. The new motor (focus assembly) has given the lens a new and much better life. Focus is very swift and right-on and little or no hesitation. This lead me to think that the motor used in the early production versions are likely prone to failure whereas newer production versions (with new motor) are good. Keeping in mind the new models are more pricier than the older versions, so if you are prepared to get the motor replaced anyway (worst case scenario) or if you are lucky, no need to replace the motor then you get yourself a deal. Although I can't say much about the Sigma since I don't have it, but I highly recommend this lens for stage and event photos.
have talked to the service rep. here and the new SDM motors are much better,so it seems the problem has been solved...about $250 here for a new motor,so not so bad...
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
have talked to the service rep. here and the new SDM motors are much better,so it seems the problem has been solved...about $250 here for a new motor,so not so bad...
Actually the cost of the part (motor) is only 110 but the labor is more that the cost of the part though. I am pleasantly surprised by the focusing speed with this new motor, so I think it is worth it. Furthermore, the DA*50-135mm is one tough lens with WR feature, I don't know if any other equivalent third party lens can match that.
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

There is a risk in buying any used lens. Just about any repair I have sent in has cost a minimum of $200. If you end up spending $250 for a motor (going by the above price quotes), you are close to what it would have cost new to begin with. Any used lens I buy has to be a considerable saving. I would look for a better deal given the history these lenses have.

03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How long does Pentax usually take to do a big repair job like replacing a lens motor?
03-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
How long does Pentax usually take to do a big repair job like replacing a lens motor?
I dropped it off on Monday and I picked it up on Wednesday.
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I dropped it off on Monday and I picked it up on Wednesday.
I've seen other threads where people had to send their lens to Japan when it needed work, but I don't know how common that is.
03-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've seen other threads where people had to send their lens to Japan when it needed work, but I don't know how common that is.
I live close to the Pentax repair center, so it is not a problem for me. Perhaps, they stock some parts such as the SDM motors. They did it quickly for me as I told them I need the lens for an event coming up soon - and that is my main lens for stage shows. I was surprised that they stock the front-ring-frame (a small piece) assembly as well considering how many people dropped the lens like I did.

03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There is a risk in buying any used lens. Just about any repair I have sent in has cost a minimum of $200. If you end up spending $250 for a motor (going by the above price quotes), you are close to what it would have cost new to begin with. Any used lens I buy has to be a considerable saving. I would look for a better deal given the history these lenses have.
Hi what would a reasonable price be for this then,say one that is 3 yrs old?
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #25

I read this as "Is it risky to get a '3 year old' a da 50-135?"
I thought "who the hell is giving that lens to a toddler?!"
*backs slowly out of thread...
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
*backs slowly out of thread...
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
Probably a good choice actually, since all of the DA* lenses are SR (Slobber Resistant).
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi what would a reasonable price be for this then,say one that is 3 yrs old?
For me? I would try to get one for $500. Take a few minutes and browse back through the price watch threads. The DA* 50-135 was being sold for $749 in late November, brand new with warranty. The same held true for a lot of other lenses around the Christmas shopping season. We are now approaching spring and people are thinking about all the stuff they want to shoot once the warm weather comes. Here in the US, people are getting their tax refunds. Not too many discounts right now except maybe on winter clothes. My advice? Don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket and hold out until you get your price. At worse, it will probably be $749 again next Thanksgiving weekend.