Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it Risky to get a 3yr. old DA 50-135

Have a chance to get a 2009 DA50-135 2.8,owner says no SDM problems so far but I wonder when/if they will come. Have read that in 2012 the SDM issue should of been solved,so is it better to get a new one? the used on is about $860
Thanks

03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

It depends on how much a new 50-135mm costs in Denmark but I think this seems to be worth buying. I have bought three used DA* lenses and none of them have had any SDM-problems so far. The prices I paid for my used lenses was so low that even if I have to repair the SDM the total cost would be lower than bying new DA* lenses.
03-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

On the other hand, if it has not failed in 3 years, it must be a good one.
03-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I bought mine in early 2009 and have had no issues. If it's in good condition and a good bit less than the new price, I'd go for it. Definitely a fantastic lens.

03-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've purchased a used copy of this lens, it seems if the SDM didn't fail within 6 months of purchase, it's a "Working as intended" copy.
03-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

My brother's 16-50 SDM failed about 3 years after purchase.

My 50-135 SDM failed long ago, but I've recently switched it to screwdrive only following directions here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html
03-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so probably OK, I will call Pentax service & find out how much a new SDM is just in case..otherwise maybe screw drive is just as good..

03-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've read just about every thread here about SDM - the good and the bad. My first impression is that this is the internet - as with any product on any forum, you will hear from 90% of the people who have had a problem, and 10% of the people who have not had a problem. So I take the SDM failure statistics with a grain of salt because of that.

I own 4 SDM lenses - two of which I bought used here on the forum. Sure, there is some risk, but not as much as the statics show because of what I said above. But to give myself peace of mind with a used SDM lens purchase, this is what I do:

Make sure the lens is working properly. Also find out from the seller if the SDM motor had ever been replaced.
Make sure the seller has a good return policy so I can evaluate the lens myself with little or no financial risk (return for full refund).
Factor in the cost of an SDM repair - here in the US it seems to be between $200-$250. Split the difference and use $225 as a factor.
Add half that $225 to the cost of the lens since I believe that there might be a 50/50 risk of future failure.
After adding that $125.50 risk factor to the cost of the lens, look at the cost of the lens new and look at the used values of recently sold lenses.

With my scenario, talking about the DA* 50-135, the recent sold used prices here on the Marketplace seem to be between $700-$750. Average that to $725 and add the $125 possible risk to come to $850. With that figure, look at what the lens costs new and then evaluate from there.
03-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
is it Risky to get a 3yr. old DA 50-135
The question just sounded like, at the stroke of twelve it might would turn back into a pumpkin.

I forgot about the SDM issues.
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've read just about every thread here about SDM - the good and the bad. My first impression is that this is the internet - as with any product on any forum, you will hear from 90% of the people who have had a problem, and 10% of the people who have not had a problem. So I take the SDM failure statistics with a grain of salt because of that.

I own 4 SDM lenses - two of which I bought used here on the forum. Sure, there is some risk, but not as much as the statics show because of what I said above. But to give myself peace of mind with a used SDM lens purchase, this is what I do:

Make sure the lens is working properly. Also find out from the seller if the SDM motor had ever been replaced.
Make sure the seller has a good return policy so I can evaluate the lens myself with little or no financial risk (return for full refund).
Factor in the cost of an SDM repair - here in the US it seems to be between $200-$250. Split the difference and use $225 as a factor.
Add half that $225 to the cost of the lens since I believe that there might be a 50/50 risk of future failure.
After adding that $125.50 risk factor to the cost of the lens, look at the cost of the lens new and look at the used values of recently sold lenses.

With my scenario, talking about the DA* 50-135, the recent sold used prices here on the Marketplace seem to be between $700-$750. Average that to $725 and add the $125 possible risk to come to $850. With that figure, look at what the lens costs new and then evaluate from there.
Hi Stan
that was sorta my plan, to find out here what a new SDM motor costs..if 225 in the US then I imagine $400 here.... I found one for $850 but maybe too much as 1200 is a new one on sale (at bootic!!!)
03-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Stan
that was sorta my plan, to find out here what a new SDM motor costs..if 225 in the US then I imagine $400 here.... I found one for $850 but maybe too much as 1200 is a new one on sale (at bootic!!!)
Ahh - Bootic still selling Pentax in other countries.......

Yeah - with the prices you are showing it makes it tough. Kind of comes down to if you have the finances to buy a new one or not. The lens lists for $1597 here and the best on-line price I found was $1099.

I will say this - it is a fantastic lens. I've only had mine for a month and haven't really used it much yet as the weather is just starting to warm enough now for me to get outside. I have yet to figure out if it is going to be redundant with my DA* 60-250 or not..........
03-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Ahh - Bootic still selling Pentax in other countries.......

Yeah - with the prices you are showing it makes it tough. Kind of comes down to if you have the finances to buy a new one or not. The lens lists for $1597 here and the best on-line price I found was $1099.

I will say this - it is a fantastic lens. I've only had mine for a month and haven't really used it much yet as the weather is just starting to warm enough now for me to get outside. I have yet to figure out if it is going to be redundant with my DA* 60-250 or not..........
Hi where was it 1099?
03-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi where was it 1099?
Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

While this is a third party seller (Emmy Photo), they have very good feedback. I've ordered a couple higher priced items from them with a very pleasurable transaction. I believe they are based in Canada. Also since the item is "fulfilled by Amazon" all the return and protection policies of Amazon apply.
03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

While this is a third party seller (Emmy Photo), they have very good feedback. I've ordered a couple higher priced items from them with a very pleasurable transaction. I believe they are based in Canada. Also since the item is "fulfilled by Amazon" all the return and protection policies of Amazon apply.
hmm lot to consider..
no bootic is not in Europe...they said maybe after the summer(after they are chased out of the US!) probably too many rules here..and consumer protection is quite good(at least in Northern Europe)
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have recently dropped the DA* 50-135mm lens and thinking about a complete write-off and had also thoughts about replacing it with Sigma 50-150. However, after I took it over to Pentax Canada for service, they did it in two days to replace the front frame and motor, I changed my mind of replacing it. The new motor (focus assembly) has given the lens a new and much better life. Focus is very swift and right-on and little or no hesitation. This lead me to think that the motor used in the early production versions are likely prone to failure whereas newer production versions (with new motor) are good. Keeping in mind the new models are more pricier than the older versions, so if you are prepared to get the motor replaced anyway (worst case scenario) or if you are lucky, no need to replace the motor then you get yourself a deal. Although I can't say much about the Sigma since I don't have it, but I highly recommend this lens for stage and event photos.