Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens for wedding shoot

I have been asked to shoot a family wedding and can't decide on the perfect lens. My camera is an
"old" K100d super (still works perfectly and see no reason to upgrade yet). This will be an indoor shoot
using available light, but I don't want to use flash. As none of my zoom lenses are fast enough I will have to
use a fast prime and have identified several possibles from my collection:

Super Takumar 85/1.9 superb portrait lens, very forgiving, could be difficult getting distance in confined space.
Helios 44M 58/2
Pentax K50/1.2 ultimate low light lens, but tricky to use on digital.
Pentacon auto 50/1.8 fast and sharp wide open
Pentax K30/2.8 a joy to use and sharp wide open, could zoom and crop in Elements.

Looking forward to reading your comments, thanks in advance. Glenn

03-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K50/1.2 (stopped down) ... it gets my vote ... J
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I second the K50 f/1.2, as I've shot a wedding and it helped out so much, esp in low light situations, where I could hit ISO 400, instead of ISO800 in a darker room. I even was successful with the cake cutting and some dancing shots (due to Live View), so it is worth the trouble of using it wide open.
03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Same here, I'd go with the K50 f1.2, you can never have enough aperture speed when working indoors with available light

03-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Not much choice there... but the k30/2.8 gets my vote. You need wide for wedding shots especially in tight quarters. You probably also need hotshoe flash although you will have to do with manual flash.
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #6

You may not see any reason to upgrade your k100d super yet, looking at your images I can see why. However once you get into a dark church or other dark venues then your k100d will struggle. You will also need to use wide apertures which again introduces the problem of misfocussing, again the k100d will struggle here, small viewfinder and no live view.

Why not hire a k30 bidy from SRS for the weekend, it will make your wedding shoot a lot easier for you with your choice of glass.
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
Why not hire a k30 bidy from SRS for the weekend, it will make your wedding shoot a lot easier for you with your choice of glass.
+1 that idea.
I did an available lighting wedding with my K100D and a kit lens long time ago. (My A50 1.7 was not wide enough). It was not fun.

03-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Rather than start a new thread essentially asking the same question I will just tack onto this one....

What I got:
K-30, DA18-135 WR, DA35, Sigma 10-20 and Helios 44M-6

Been asked to photograph a cousins wedding. Is a very, very casual affair so no real necessity for a pro. But seems like the perfect excuse for me to add another bit of glass to the collection.

I have been lusting over FA31 and FA77 lens for some time. But can only afford one right now. Of these two which would be better for this purpose? For the price difference I could get the FA77 and a flash (thinking Metz 52) or just the FA31.

So the FA31 or FA77/flash combo?
03-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn M Quote
Pentax K50/1.2
+1 would be my preferred lens of choice, watch the focussing very limited DOF when wide open.
03-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

50 or 30 if the place is too crammed. I hope you're skilled with MF, you're going to need it.
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your valued comments, I was leaning towards using the K50/1.2 anyway. I have used this
legendary super fast lens many times and catch in focus always helps, only becoming problematic when shooting
wide open. My camera doesn't have great ISO capabilities but ISO 400 should be ok. The venue is an 18th century
town hall and not as dark as a church.

Slightly off topic, I don't understand why Pentax have never supplied a split prism viewfinder to the DSLR
line up, and have read some unfavourable comments re the current flagship K5 and manual focus.
Just a gripe from an habitual manual focus user.
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

Yes, I am in the same boat soon. I have a K-r and would love to use the A 50 1.4 that I bought but I can just never get it focussed correctly. It's a real shame. I may just order myself a new focus screen but have the concern I will mess the whole thing up when I install it. However, without it my fast lens is just wasted.
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn M Quote
Slightly off topic, I don't understand why Pentax have never supplied a split prism viewfinder to the DSLR
line up
There are OEM viewfinders that can get the job done.
03-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

To be quite honest with you... I would try to use flash as much as I can when I am shooting for indoor shots. Not only can flash freezes the action, but also retain the color. For example, in this shot can you get the color without flash?

attached the same photo in another link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/205090-depth-field-worthless.html
03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Regarding your ISO limitations, I once did an event with a camera also limited in its high-ISO capabilities. So I opted for slower shutter speeds. BIG mistake! Camera shake wasn't as much a problem as subject movement, but I hardly got any worthwhile shots that day. So given the choice, high ISO noise is preferable to blurry subjects.

Sounds like a tough assignment, given your equipment. K50/1.2 may be fast, but if you shoot it wide open you'd better be spot-on with your manual focusing. And with people sometimes moving, that's a tall order. You'd probably do better with any wide-zoom kit lens and a cheap external flash. (Sunpak 383 comes to mind; I recently picked up a mint example on Fleabay for $22.50, and it works just as well in "Auto" mode as a lot of pricier models.)

Personally, I'd just tell them, "I'm sorry, I really don't have the necessary equipment or experience", and spare yourself some headaches. But that's just me. Even if they claim they don't care to hire a pro, if/when the results are not pleasing, don't think they won't be unhappy. I don't know why people will spend so much for weddings on things like a DJ, decorations, etc., but the one thing that will last for years afterward - the pictures- becomes subject to "budget cuts"! Good luck if you go through with it.