Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA 21 and Vignetting with a Lee/Cokin filter system?

I am almost entirely a landscape photographer but have been noticing that I often try to do too much with my shots and often go wider than necessary (I recently purchased a pano head for my tripid and use it frequently). Anyway, I will be buying the DA 21 to try to force myself to scale back a bit and work on creating a central focus in my images instead of simply capturing as much as possible.

So, my question is: has anyone used the DA 21 with a Lee/Cokin filter system? I own the Lee 77mm ring adapter and would ideally like to just buy a 49 - 77mm step up ring to use with it but I am worried that it may cause some vignetting. Of course I could just buy the 49mm adapter, but the price is ridiculous for that small piece of metal.

According to Photozone.de, this lens has minimal vignetting when stopped down which is great. I wasn't sure if this stands true with a rectangular filter system attached, especially when used in conjunction with a step up ring. Anyone have experience with a set up like this?

03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just took a quick look back through my archives.. I know I've had a 49->52 stepping ring and 2x HOYA ND8 52mm with no vignetting. I don't have Lee/Cokin kit..
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've used mine with the Cokin A system using a 49mm ring and never noticed any vignetting. Never used Lee but aren't they bigger, 100mm? Cokin A is 70mm. I cannot see how it would cause a problem.
03-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ya, Lee is definitely larger. I suppose I will give it a try. Worst case I can just purchase a new Lee adapter ring.

03-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No vignetting in my experience. I find those holder adapters, step-up rings etc. to be a waste of money and a hassle to setup and handle. I just hold the filter against the lens.. With a squat lens like the 21mm it is very easy.

M
03-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
No vignetting in my experience. I find those holder adapters, step-up rings etc. to be a waste of money and a hassle to setup and handle. I just hold the filter against the lens.. With a squat lens like the 21mm it is very easy.

M
Yes that works, but for a 20 second exposure standing in icy water shooting waterfalls, I'll use the holder
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Never used Lee but aren't they bigger, 100mm?
Correct, standard Lee ND grad filters are 100x150mm. Apart from the annoying tabs for the built in lens hood on my DA15mm f/4 ASPH Limited I have used the Lee filter system without issue. I simply use de-glassed slim frame UV filter to extend the filter thread to attack the lee filter holder.

Pentax K7 - DA15mm f/4 ASPH ED Limited with Lee "big stopper" 10 stop ND filter - 45s f/11 ISO 100
03-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I will be buying the DA 21 to try to force myself to scale back a bit and work on creating a central focus in my images instead of simply capturing as much as possible.
For the record, that is an excellent choice for what you have in mind.