Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine Tuning Sigma Lens to Kx?

Hello again,

I finally got my Kx back from Precision Camera after it's trip through he** with ServiceNet/NewEgg warranty. I was months without it and I'll never buy another from them again. But that's not the point of the thread.

I also use a Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM on this camera as a walkaround and have always loved it. I have my other lenses for particular situations but this lens has always treated me very well. I've probably shot 25k or so shots with it and it has developed a bad case of lens creep. It is under warranty and they say they'll be glad to fix it up.

One thing that bothers me is that it sometimes seems to have a slight back focus issue. Sigma will, when the lens is under warranty, fine tune it to your camera if you send the camera in. Since the $$$$ do not seem to be in the offing for a K5ii and the K30 does not have Dust Alert, I guess I'll be sticking with this camera. So...

Has anyone used this service and does it help that much? They say they will turn it around real quick but after having been without my camera for months (leaving me to use my beat up old Fuji) I'm skeered. Have turnaround times with Sigma been good for others?

I can't keep going on with a gumband around the barrel of my lens to stop it from drifting so it is going to have to go in no matter what.

Thoughts?

03-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This isn't entirely the answer you're looking for, but have you tried the trick where you zoom in further than you want, focus, zoom back to the length you really want without releasing the shutter halfway, then taking the picture? Focus should be the same through the whole zoom range, and the autofocus is much more accurate zoomed in. It doesn't matter how bad your autofocus is, it will come out pretty much dead-on.

Also, is Dust Alert really necessary? That's a bit of a strange feature to hang your next purchase on. All you have to do is stop your lens (any lens) down as far as it can go and take a picture of the bright sky, or any bright, uniform surface. Any dust on the sensor will be clearly evident in the picture.

I can't help your zoom creep, and the only camera repair service I've used is C.R.I.S when my K-r turned out to have a defective aperture control unit. It took about 2 months, which seems pretty standard.
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I sent my kx and my Sigma 30mm 1.4 in for focus calibration. It was off by a mile, now it's near perfect. Their turnaround is 1 or 2 days, the rest is all shipping time. This was in early January for me.
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Also, is Dust Alert really necessary? That's a bit of a strange feature to hang your next purchase on. All you have to do is stop your lens (any lens) down as far as it can go and take a picture of the bright sky, or any bright, uniform surface. Any dust on the sensor will be clearly evident in the picture.
+1 I've never used the dust alert feature that I can remember, just shoot a picture of a blue sky or a wall. Certainly the last thing I would use as a purchase decider.

03-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I sent my kx and my Sigma 30mm 1.4 in for focus calibration. It was off by a mile, now it's near perfect. Their turnaround is 1 or 2 days, the rest is all shipping time. This was in early January for me.
Is there a web site or email to get this done? I'm thinking of sending in my 50-500mm
03-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just fill out the web form in the service area at sigma's website. Send in you camera, lens, receipt and warranty card, done.
03-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just fill out the web form in the service area at sigma's website. Send in you camera, lens, receipt and warranty card, done.
Got it, thanks. Though mine is far out of warranty. I would think they do this for OOW lenses as well? But charge of course?
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
This isn't entirely the answer you're looking for, but have you tried the trick where you zoom in further than you want, focus, zoom back to the length you really want without releasing the shutter halfway, then taking the picture? Focus should be the same through the whole zoom range, and the autofocus is much more accurate zoomed in. It doesn't matter how bad your autofocus is, it will come out pretty much dead-on.

I can't help your zoom creep, and the only camera repair service I've used is C.R.I.S when my K-r turned out to have a defective aperture control unit. It took about 2 months, which seems pretty standard.
I shoot stuff that's coming at me in an unpredictable manner at, sometimes, 60 or more MPH sometimes at 15MPH, sometimes dull black and no contrast and other times brightly colored or striped... I need to frame and shoot on the fly often with only a guess as to what is coming next. This is why the 18-250 is such a good tradeoff... I never know what is coming around the corner next or how it will frame or be focused. :-o

I didn't mean to rekindle a discussion I already had recently about Dust Alert. I'll just say that, it is important to me and that it is one of the reasons I chose this Pentax in the first place. It helped that I had old film lenses and especially helped that it took AA's... but it was most important that it take quality shots and have a solid dust system. If could have afforded the K5 it would have been the one, but I wasn't going to buy at all if I couldn't fill the dust and IQ deals.

03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks. It's good to know that at least one has had good experience with this. I only wish I had read reviews about ServiceNet and their Precission Camera partners before I bought from them. I'm going to be nervous about sending my camera *anywhere* now and paranoid about purchases.

Did they do any extra while they had it? Did you have to pay for shipping both ways?
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1 I've never used the dust alert feature that I can remember, just shoot a picture of a blue sky or a wall. Certainly the last thing I would use as a purchase decider.
Just shows why the feature-rich cameras sell so well... what one man never uses another leans on like a crutch.

Thanks for replying!