Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,551
"K" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5

I am looking to improve the image quality of my Sigma 150-500, the OS version. Ideally I would like to buy the Sigma 500 4.5 or the Pentax 560 - right now they are out of my price range but maybe Santa will visit this Christmas. In the meantime I would appreciate knowing if the SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 would offer better image quality than the Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. I did get one opinion that the Sigma would be better but would appreciate any other comments.
Thanks
Bob


03-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
Certainly not; it is an old design that does not incorporate ED glasses for best correction.
03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,970
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am looking to improve the image quality of my Sigma 150-500, the OS version. Ideally I would like to buy the Sigma 500 4.5 or the Pentax 560 - right now they are out of my price range but maybe Santa will visit this Christmas. In the meantime I would appreciate knowing if the SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 would offer better image quality than the Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. I did get one opinion that the Sigma would be better but would appreciate any other comments.
Thanks
Bob
The 500mm prime is going to be significantly sharper, but you'll see a lot more aberrations and fringing due to the old and simple lens design.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 500mm prime is going to be significantly sharper, but you'll see a lot more aberrations and fringing due to the old and simple lens design.
Thanks Adam. Wouldn't most of the aberrations be corrected by creating an Adobe Lens Profile plus Camera Raw CA removal? I can color correct using a ColorChecker and RAW's camera correction so I am left with fringe as the primary downside (assuming I make a good lens correction.)

03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,970
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks Adam. Wouldn't most of the aberrations be corrected by creating an Adobe Lens Profile plus Camera Raw CA removal? I can color correct using a ColorChecker and RAW's camera correction so I am left with fringe as the primary downside (assuming I make a good lens correction.)
The fringing is really hard to remove. It can be suppressed, but changes are it'll still be visible in the final product.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
siamthai's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Svealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 172
I have owned both of these lenses and I may buy the 150-500 again but never again the Pentax 500mm. Weight mabye doesn't matter for you but the 500mm is a huge lens thats very heavy.
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
I have owned both of these lenses and I may buy the 150-500 again but never again the Pentax 500mm. Weight mabye doesn't matter for you but the 500mm is a huge lens thats very heavy.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I realize it weighs a lot, almost twice the weight. Looking only at image quality did you get better results with the Takumar 500? I have a large tripod and gimbal head so while heavy to set up, once set up and balanced the weight shouldn't make a difference. For situations where I have to use handheld or be more mobile, I still have the Sigma zoom. I am just looking for sharper images at 500mm.
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks Adam. Wouldn't most of the aberrations be corrected by creating an Adobe Lens Profile plus Camera Raw CA removal? I can color correct using a ColorChecker and RAW's camera correction so I am left with fringe as the primary downside (assuming I make a good lens correction.)
The fringing is in the out of focus areas, CA correction really only works whe lateral CA is in. The focus plane. What you will get is removable with fringe removal in Corels PSP but it does leave artifacts

03-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
siamthai's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Svealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 172
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I realize it weighs a lot, almost twice the weight. Looking only at image quality did you get better results with the Takumar 500? I have a large tripod and gimbal head so while heavy to set up, once set up and balanced the weight shouldn't make a difference. For situations where I have to use handheld or be more mobile, I still have the Sigma zoom. I am just looking for sharper images at 500mm.
I didn't have the Takumar 500mm it was Pentax 500mm (late version) and I'd say that Pentax was the sharper of the two. I also have some memory that it was rather hard to get focus with the Pentax 500mm. I don't know the right word for it but you had to use a lot of mucle power when focusing it.

I did like the sights on the Pentax and that's something I'd like to have on the telelenses of today :-)
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Piotr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 337
I had Pentax 500mm. It is very big and heavy. I always used it with sand bag from car's window. It is difficult to use. It is sharp at f8, but at f8 it is quite dark and it is difficult do focus. So if you want to focus good you need to go to f4.5 - focus - change to f8 and take shot. Quite complicated.
Anyway, it is very long tele and with some patience it is possible to have some satisfaction

I don't have Sigma 150-500. I have last version of Sigma 50-500. It is really good at 500mm.

K500 samples
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
I had Pentax 500mm. It is very big and heavy. I always used it with sand bag from car's window. It is difficult to use. It is sharp at f8, but at f8 it is quite dark and it is difficult do focus. So if you want to focus good you need to go to f4.5 - focus - change to f8 and take shot. Quite complicated.
Anyway, it is very long tele and with some patience it is possible to have some satisfaction

I don't have Sigma 150-500. I have last version of Sigma 50-500. It is really good at 500mm.

K500 samples
Thanks Piotr
The link is to the 500 with the 1.7 converter.
So was that shot really at 750?
Did the lens auto-focus with the converter?
If focused properly do you feel the Pentax 500mm is sharper than the Sigma zoom at 500MM?

Thanks Bob
03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
I had no luck (when I had it) getting mine to AF with the 1.7x, and while it was pretty decent with the k100 and k10d even, you may be disappointed with a higher MP body. It is pretty unbalanced too. If you have the 1.7x, I would try to find a DA300 f4.
03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Piotr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thanks Piotr
The link is to the 500 with the 1.7 converter.
So was that shot really at 750?
Yes, if it is described as taken with af 1.7
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Did the lens auto-focus with the converter?
If focused properly do you feel the Pentax 500mm is sharper than the Sigma zoom at 500MM?

Thanks Bob
Not really, I used focus ring from lens and got confirmation from camera with additionall support from AF1.7.
k500 with AF1.7 was ok with istDS (6mb) not with with K5 (16mb).
In my opinion Sigma is better in any aspect.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
500mm, f4.5, image, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, quality, sigma, slr lens, smc, smc pentax 500mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't say Pentax "Q" in French ... "Q" = "cul" = "A--" Jean Poitiers Pentax Q 52 11-10-2013 06:25 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K 500mm f4.5 SMC k-mount littledrawe Sold Items 7 12-04-2011 10:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: "Gently Used" Asahi Pentax SMC 200mm F4 Takumar Telephoto M42 eleventhirteen83 Sold Items 2 12-03-2011 05:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm APO F4-5.6 (Worldwide) telfish Sold Items 4 01-30-2011 12:24 PM
For Sale - Sold: [SOLD]SMC PENTAX "K" 1:3.5/28mm (Hard to Find) Curbster54 Sold Items 7 02-26-2010 03:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top