Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"K" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5

I am looking to improve the image quality of my Sigma 150-500, the OS version. Ideally I would like to buy the Sigma 500 4.5 or the Pentax 560 - right now they are out of my price range but maybe Santa will visit this Christmas. In the meantime I would appreciate knowing if the SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 would offer better image quality than the Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. I did get one opinion that the Sigma would be better but would appreciate any other comments.
Thanks
Bob

03-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Certainly not; it is an old design that does not incorporate ED glasses for best correction.
03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am looking to improve the image quality of my Sigma 150-500, the OS version. Ideally I would like to buy the Sigma 500 4.5 or the Pentax 560 - right now they are out of my price range but maybe Santa will visit this Christmas. In the meantime I would appreciate knowing if the SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 would offer better image quality than the Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. I did get one opinion that the Sigma would be better but would appreciate any other comments.
Thanks
Bob
The 500mm prime is going to be significantly sharper, but you'll see a lot more aberrations and fringing due to the old and simple lens design.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 500mm prime is going to be significantly sharper, but you'll see a lot more aberrations and fringing due to the old and simple lens design.
Thanks Adam. Wouldn't most of the aberrations be corrected by creating an Adobe Lens Profile plus Camera Raw CA removal? I can color correct using a ColorChecker and RAW's camera correction so I am left with fringe as the primary downside (assuming I make a good lens correction.)

03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam. Wouldn't most of the aberrations be corrected by creating an Adobe Lens Profile plus Camera Raw CA removal? I can color correct using a ColorChecker and RAW's camera correction so I am left with fringe as the primary downside (assuming I make a good lens correction.)
The fringing is really hard to remove. It can be suppressed, but changes are it'll still be visible in the final product.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

I have owned both of these lenses and I may buy the 150-500 again but never again the Pentax 500mm. Weight mabye doesn't matter for you but the 500mm is a huge lens thats very heavy.
03-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
I have owned both of these lenses and I may buy the 150-500 again but never again the Pentax 500mm. Weight mabye doesn't matter for you but the 500mm is a huge lens thats very heavy.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I realize it weighs a lot, almost twice the weight. Looking only at image quality did you get better results with the Takumar 500? I have a large tripod and gimbal head so while heavy to set up, once set up and balanced the weight shouldn't make a difference. For situations where I have to use handheld or be more mobile, I still have the Sigma zoom. I am just looking for sharper images at 500mm.
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The fringing is in the out of focus areas, CA correction really only works whe lateral CA is in. The focus plane. What you will get is removable with fringe removal in Corels PSP but it does leave artifacts

03-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #9

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I realize it weighs a lot, almost twice the weight. Looking only at image quality did you get better results with the Takumar 500? I have a large tripod and gimbal head so while heavy to set up, once set up and balanced the weight shouldn't make a difference. For situations where I have to use handheld or be more mobile, I still have the Sigma zoom. I am just looking for sharper images at 500mm.
I didn't have the Takumar 500mm it was Pentax 500mm (late version) and I'd say that Pentax was the sharper of the two. I also have some memory that it was rather hard to get focus with the Pentax 500mm. I don't know the right word for it but you had to use a lot of mucle power when focusing it.

I did like the sights on the Pentax and that's something I'd like to have on the telelenses of today :-)
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had Pentax 500mm. It is very big and heavy. I always used it with sand bag from car's window. It is difficult to use. It is sharp at f8, but at f8 it is quite dark and it is difficult do focus. So if you want to focus good you need to go to f4.5 - focus - change to f8 and take shot. Quite complicated.
Anyway, it is very long tele and with some patience it is possible to have some satisfaction

I don't have Sigma 150-500. I have last version of Sigma 50-500. It is really good at 500mm.

K500 samples
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
I had Pentax 500mm. It is very big and heavy. I always used it with sand bag from car's window. It is difficult to use. It is sharp at f8, but at f8 it is quite dark and it is difficult do focus. So if you want to focus good you need to go to f4.5 - focus - change to f8 and take shot. Quite complicated.
Anyway, it is very long tele and with some patience it is possible to have some satisfaction

I don't have Sigma 150-500. I have last version of Sigma 50-500. It is really good at 500mm.

K500 samples
Thanks Piotr
The link is to the 500 with the 1.7 converter.
So was that shot really at 750?
Did the lens auto-focus with the converter?
If focused properly do you feel the Pentax 500mm is sharper than the Sigma zoom at 500MM?

Thanks Bob
03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had no luck (when I had it) getting mine to AF with the 1.7x, and while it was pretty decent with the k100 and k10d even, you may be disappointed with a higher MP body. It is pretty unbalanced too. If you have the 1.7x, I would try to find a DA300 f4.
03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Piotr
The link is to the 500 with the 1.7 converter.
So was that shot really at 750?
Yes, if it is described as taken with af 1.7
Did the lens auto-focus with the converter?
If focused properly do you feel the Pentax 500mm is sharper than the Sigma zoom at 500MM?

Thanks Bob
Not really, I used focus ring from lens and got confirmation from camera with additionall support from AF1.7.
k500 with AF1.7 was ok with istDS (6mb) not with with K5 (16mb).
In my opinion Sigma is better in any aspect.