Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

ND filters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, i am looking at buying a nd filter for doing long exposures during day light hours. I don't really now what i am looking for. any advice on makes and strengths would be gratefully acepted

03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long are you trying to do?

I use 2 and 3 stop NDs for dreamy waterfall shots along with a CPL, you can easily get 30 second or even 2-3 minute exposures using those, depending on ambient light. But if you are looking for really long exposures (30 minutes maybe) then you need 9 or 10 stop filters which is a whole 'nuther ball game. Search 'big stopper'.

As to makes, most name brands have good quality filters as long as you get the 'pro' line or whatever they call it. B+W is usually rated very good. Hoya is also good but they have multiple lines some are cheap and some are good. Marumi is also rated well.

With NDs you have to watch for color casts in the cheaper filters. These can be corrected in PP but why bother? Get a good quality filter to start with.
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Did someone say long exposures?

All those were done with a B+W 10 stop ND filter
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Did someone say long exposures?
Do you know how long those exposures were? I'm interested in doing something like this but not sure how to go about it yet.

03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you know how long those exposures were? I'm interested in doing something like this but not sure how to go about it yet.
95% of my long exposures are between 15 and 30 seconds.
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
95% of my long exposures are between 15 and 30 seconds.
Have you done any really long ones? I read someplace that you can eliminate tourists from a building shot by using very long exposure.
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you done any really long ones? I read someplace that you can eliminate tourists from a building shot by using very long exposure.
Many of my LE shots had people walking through them and they don't show up, 15 seconds is plenty long enough to eliminate people walking through the shot. "Crowds" is a bit different though and depends on how dense and how static they are, sometimes it doesn't matter how long your exposure is if the crowd doesn't disperse during the exposure then they will ghost in your shot.

08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #8

Has Pentax k30 got a built-in ND filter?

Hi,

Does anybody know whether the Pentax K30 got a built-in ND filter? It seems like the MX-1 and the Q series got one. It would be great if the K30 also got one built-in too.

Cheers
08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samuelyuen3 Quote
Does anybody know whether the Pentax K30 got a built-in ND filter?
No. Our K30 lacks that filter.
08-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The k30 doesn't have a ND filter as far as I am aware. I have since got the cokin p series nd filters for my k30 and I am very happy with them
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #11

Thank you for the reply! Very helpful indeed.

Can I also ask how is the focus peaking on the K30? I tried focus peaking on the Q10 which I found quite hard to use... esp under bright sunlight... Any thoughts? Thanks!
08-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can't answer that one. I have never used focus peaking. Wait for someone who has and they will tell you.

You're welcome for the other answer.
08-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

An alternative without ND filters or long exposures for removing people is with multiple exposures of the same scene on a tripod using Image Stacks in Photoshop.
08-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Can I also ask how is the focus peaking on the K30? I tried focus peaking on the Q10 which I found quite hard to use... esp under bright sunlight... Any thoughts? Thanks!
Focus peaking works the same on the K30 as it does on the Q. The LCD will be washed out under bright sunlight unless you have the screen at the brightest setting and shade the screen a little with your hand or other object.

There is an anti-glare protective film that you can place on the LCD that supposedly works really well. I cannot find the exact link to what I saw here on the forums though, but I think it's this: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX (Verizon) Anti-Glare Screen Protector Film
08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use one of these when using live view:
LCD Viewfinder Extender Loupe Camera Rubber Eyecup V2 | eBay

It effectively turns it into an EVF, no problems with sunlight and it also magnifies the image so it is like you are looking into a large and bright viewfinder. I find it greatly improves the usability of focus peaking

I don't use live view and focus peaking very often but there are situations where it is very useful and works very well.