Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K and A difference

The older I get the more confused I get. And that is NOT saying a lot.

I think I know what an FA and a M lenses are.
But, what is the difference between a K and A lense and specifically referring to the 50mm f1.4

Here's another; What's the difference between the F and FA 50mm

Does this question make sense to you? The nomenclature is driving me crazy and sometimes I wish I didn't delve so much into the details.

03-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

-Deleted-
Sorry I mistakenly thought you asked A vs M.
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There really isn't a quick 50-words-or-less explanation for the differences in the Pentax mounts. Have you read the many pages of this website? It may help.

As for the differences between the FA 50mm f1.4 and the F 50mm f1.4 - Peter and I shared a couple PM's on this one. I don't think there is any difference in the optical formula but perhaps there is a bit of difference in the case holding the glass. The one difference is that one is 20 grams heavier.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-01-2008 at 10:07 AM.
03-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're referring to the differences between K and A of the 50, then it would be the coating and plastic/metal ratio. As for the F and FA, Scott pretty much said what i'm going to say.

03-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Am I mistaking or isn't the difference between the K and the A, the addition of the "A" aperture position that gives the ability for full program +/or shutter priority?
Brian
03-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
The older I get the more confused I get. And that is NOT saying a lot.

But, what is the difference between a K and A lense and specifically referring to the 50mm f1.4

Does this question make sense to you? The nomenclature is driving me crazy and sometimes I wish I didn't delve so much into the details.
I'm not very clear on the differences between F and FA lenses, but the K and A are fairly straight forward.
K lenses are pure manual lenses, manual focus and manual aperture.
A lenses are manual focus but automatic aperture, ie you can use the Tv, Av, etc settings on your DSLR (which ever one you have) and use the thumbwheel to set or change the aperture. On the K lenses you have to set or change the aperture by using the aperture ring on the lens.

NaCl(now if someone can explain the differences between FA and F lenses I'll be happy)H2O
03-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

How about the difference between a SMC lens and an M lens?
03-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I may be wrong, but I believe that all M series lens are SMC lens code4code5, That's just Pentax's way of saying that it's a coated glass.

However not all screwmount lenses are coated. The coated ones usually say SMC on them, however I have 1 that doesn't.
My guess is that it was an early production lens

03-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There really isn't a "K-series" of lenses. That is a shorthand for the ones that just say "SMC Pentax" on them. They are the exact same as M lenses in operation, but are generally larger. For example, the "K" 50/1.4 hs a 52mm thread, but the M-series onward has a 49mm thread.
03-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm amazed that no one has answered the post.

K series lenses have a K mount with no auto apature

A series have AE feature, and will function on the DSLRs in automatic modes. They will also work with P-TTL flash.

See the attached link
Pentax Lens/Camera Compatibility - Mark Roberts Photography
03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/152228-post14.html
03-03-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone who responded - I appreciate it.
Lowell thanks for Mark's link, I had visited but couldn't find the detail you provided.
Ivan thanks for the post's link, it helps even more, that it has an image link.

NEW question, same subject:

On the new lenses I've seen (I don't own any), there seems to be a colour code; silver, green, gold, other(?) ring around the lenses - any details what these mean? I think other lenses' manufactures use some colour coding as well, do they mean the same has a standard been set?

Thanks
03-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have absolutely no idea!

My sigma's all use gold, MY old SMC Pentax have Silver
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #14

On the new lenses I've seen (I don't own any), there seems to be a colour code; silver, green, gold, other(?) ring around the lenses - any details what these mean? I think other lenses' manufactures use some colour coding as well, do they mean the same has a standard been set?

Thanks
Well DA lenses have a green ring around them and DA*'s seem to have a gold.
In the Canon range L lenses are designated with a red ring (and many are white).

Don't know if those are the coloured rings you are refering to though..

Thanks
03-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Colors do dot mean anything in particular and Pentax is not really consistent with "color coding". For example, green ring appears to be associated with all non-star DA lenses but you can find green ring on most A* telephoto lenses, although it is around the front of the lens, not rear as with DA and DA*. Also, DA* have both green ring and a gold band (not the best combo I think), but there is a gold ring on F* 250-600 as well. Silver ring can be found on D-FA as well as some FA J zoom lenses, while DA 10-17 has both green ring and silver band, although silver band is specific to Pentax-FA 645 lenses and DA 10-17 has nothing to do with 645 format.

Quite a mess as you can see.