Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Macro Extension Tubes

Well after getting a macro bellows ( what a cumbersome bit of kit that is ) I found it a chore to use , maybe ok in a studio environment , but outside , just a little too much kit .
So the search for affordable macro saw me go even cheaper :

Macro extension tubes , now for the Pentax , they can be had for like $5 or little more shipped to your door ( sure you knew that already ) .

But news to me , and very easy to use , almost stealth technology .

Here is what I got , there are 4 bits , front and back mounts and 2 different sized extensions ( that add on to No 1) , Well I started with no 1 , or the smallest one with a Richo 50mm F1.7 manual lens ..

Focus range is a little tight , and tweaking the focus on the lens one can improve things a little

But changing angle might be better :

And if you after something funky

Something different

Or you want to get really artsy : ( Im not very artsy )

Well , for the princely sum of $5 or so from ebay , these cheap nasty macro extension tubes are Very Good . The resulting photos are very nice , much nicer than I expected , and all were taken free hand ( no tripod - bi-pod or shooting stick ) Matted to a decent primary lens seems to offer a lot of scope for photography exploration .

Well , I wasn't expecting much , so , wow , possibly the best $5 spent in quite a while ...

Last edited by old4570; 03-14-2013 at 10:34 PM.
03-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Forum Member

Great pictures and well captured. Thanks for sharing with us. Did you use any lighting on the subject? Extensions tubes will eat the light like anything. I think shorter focal length lens give great macro capability than the longer focals. If you're already experimented with different lenses, please share few with us.
Cheers,
03-15-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice captures and I have the same tubes as are pictured in your post ... they are OK and fun to play around with ... J
03-15-2013, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I used a 50mm Richo F1.7 Lens , plenty of light gathering ... With the shorter ring ..

Adding the No 2 ring gave much closer focus , but still plenty of light gathering ... ill post a picture .

This is with the No 1 and No 2 tubes in place ...

Last edited by old4570; 03-15-2013 at 04:31 AM.
03-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/218518-abstract-light-na...cal-cable.html

Check out this funky shot ... ( With this combo )
03-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I used a 50mm Richo F1.7 Lens , plenty of light gathering ... With the shorter ring ..

Adding the No 2 ring gave much closer focus , but still plenty of light gathering ... ill post a picture .

This is with the No 1 and No 2 tubes in place ...
Very nice ... like the ant, since it gives a sense of scale ... J
03-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

possibly the best $5 spent in quite a while
Well done on bargain hunting and on your close-up photos! I'm really curious where you're finding passion flowers to photograph right now -- is this in a greenhouse? I know what you mean about the depth of field -- having photographed these flowers before I know just how 3-d they are.
03-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The flowers are growing along our fence - Summer - well actually autumn here , but record heat ... ( Australia )
Yeah ( depth of field ) A higher Fstop might help , but then I would need the tripod ( all shots free hand )

03-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The flowers are growing along our fence - Summer - well actually autumn here , but record heat ... ( Australia )
Ah, thanks. Looks rather like Passiflora incarnata native to North America, which is why I was wondering.