Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

They might not be the best photos, but some of my favourites were taken with 21mm...

03-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
They might not be the best photos, but some of my favourites were taken with 21mm...

#3 is spectacular
03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's another thumb up for the DA21: it is my 2nd most-used lens (FA35 is still 1st by a small margin), it is small, light, great color rendition, and sharp even wide open. And to be honest, I have yet to find one real-life shot where the barrel distortion is really apparent (ok, I don't shoot architecture with it).

I have to say that upgrading to a K-5 II from a K-7 has made this lens even more useful: the better high-ISO means that I can now often use in indoor-no-flash situations (eg. f/3.2 or even f/4 is usable where f/2 was required on the K-7).

Also, I sometimes find myself using it in a rangefinder-esque way: I try to frame within the AF markers (e.g. using them as "framelines") and crop in post to match. Great way to follow moving subjects and still see what is going on around them a bit through the viewfinder.

Now, all that being said, for weddings I think you would be better off with a f/2.8 "standard zoom" like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50.
03-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #34

I have used the 21mm and really enjoyed it. But, having said that, I would recommend getting the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 like others have said. It is better in low light and I can confidently say that it is one of the most underrated and best value lenses available. It takes wonderful images and performs far better than other zooms anywhere near it in price. I bought mine new here in Japan for about the equivalent of $260 USD. While it may not be as fun or challenging to shoot with as a prime, it will get the job done and save you a considerable amount of money.

03-18-2013, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Hmm, I am really torn here.

I got the 21mm Ltd. almost at the same time as it came out, and used it a fair bit. Then, it kinda got forgotten, I'd pick up one of the other Ltd's, or the 16-50/2.8. The past year or so, I didn't use it at all....

....then I got a K-01, which made me reorganize my grab-bag, and somehow ended up slinging that lens on the body on a whim....I guess it's a little like falling in love with your ex-wives: you already know each others quirks and habits, but one or the other of you has picked up a few new "tricks" during the break that makes it all new and exciting again......?

I think that the 21mm Ltd has the most sexy lens-hood of any of the Ltd's, though, and in the past couple of months I've gotten quite happy with it. It's no 31mm Ltd, of course, but it is a very neat lens that I've come to realize I'd not be without.
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
#3 is spectacular
Thanks! Got to love tropical islands with their unpredictable weather
03-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I guess it's a little like falling in love with your ex-wives: you already know each others quirks and habits, but one or the other of you has picked up a few new "tricks" during the break that makes it all new and exciting again......?

Whaaat!? How many times can one get into that situation!? But yes, I have also fell back in love with some old primes I had forgotten. Kind of a good feeling (with lenses that is...can't say about wives).

03-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
Whaaat!? How many times can one get into that situation!? But yes, I have also fell back in love with some old primes I had forgotten. Kind of a good feeling (with lenses that is...can't say about wives).
I think Tim Allen can answer that for you: The Six Wives of Henry Lefay Reviews & Ratings - IMDb - one not to be missed!
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think Tim Allen can answer that for you: The Six Wives of Henry Lefay Reviews & Ratings - IMDb - one not to be missed!
Thanks!
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
Veteran Member

IMHO, be as professional as you can afford. That means two zooms of excellent speed & quality to cover the whole range and two bodies and reliable flash with bounce. Then one prime that can do close-up photos for those specialty shots. Can your two existing primes take a high quality close-up filter? They are plenty sharp enough to handle it and the two zooms would cover those fast changing situations. Can't get those moments back when they are gone, especially at a wedding or a reception. Good luck!

03-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I am selling my DA 21 right now, but the main reason why is a bit of spousal spending subterfuge. My wife has been nagging me because she doesn't like prime lenses because they can't zoom and I only have primes. So I have already bought a 16-45 to please her but haven't told her that I have it yet, I am going to sell my DA 21 and want to buy a FA 77 then say that I got the zoom lens that she wants and a prime lens that I want as part of a trade which should go over more smoothly than if I just bought 1 lens. I intend to eventually reacquire the 21 mm because it is a great lens, but it is just in the right price point that if my wife did have any idea exactly how much specific lenses were worth that I could get away without ire over spending hundreds of dollars.
Sounds like you need to get her a body to go with that DA16-45...
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #42
Pentaxian

here's a pano with the DA21 from last Sunday morning. Boring conditions at the bridge, but I got to use my 21.

03-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To sum up...
Looks like the 21 Ltd is a really capable lens, but.. it has a specific use. Due to its small size and optical characteristics, it shines in landscapes/panoramas
But it isn't the best choice if you are looking for speed, low light performance or portraits.
03-20-2013, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #44

Just my 2 cents. I own DA 21 and DA 70. Never really wanted a DA 40, to me this is really THE least exciting limited due to immense array of options in the field of 35-55 mm lenses. Although I love portraiture, DA 70 does not really satisfy me in this field and I find myself reaching for Pancolar 80/1.8, K50/1.2 or even F50/1.4 more often (mostly due to CA in bokeh which I find the weakest aspect of DA 70 overall).

I still own a Tamron 17-50 and must concur it is an excellent lens...with a really slow AF and the thing is just huge.

DA 21 is small, sharp and come on F/3.2 vs F/2.8 of the Tamron? Really? That is what? third of a stop difference?
The distortion is negligible in real life and easily correctable in PP, sharpness is excellent, as is contrast. What I value most about this lens is its consistency of results under most of conditions and versatility of use. When I traveled to India, I usually brought 3-4 lenses and for the ordinary street shots, the DA 21 was my main "lens cap" (I even had DA 14 with me but rarely used it)

Some of my DA 21 photos

Regarding the last three pictures - this is DA 21+ K-5 low light performance. You can check more at my dA profile
03-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
To sum up...
Looks like the 21 Ltd is a really capable lens, but.. it has a specific use. Due to its small size and optical characteristics, it shines in landscapes/panoramas
But it isn't the best choice if you are looking for speed, low light performance or portraits.
Don't forget street shooting/environmental portraits. It's focal lenght and small size make it almost perfect for these uses.