Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

FA31 substitute

If you've ever shot with the FA31 and loved it, is there a substitute? On *any* system? My story: the FA31 was my favorite lens and I've regretted selling it four years ago (I was chasing FF and went to another system). I've had more expensive lenses, and lenses that test better, but I have never "love" a lens like the FA31 (and yes, I've had the FA77). I know the lens can test poorly, but just something in the way the FA31 renders. I'm pretty it sure its bokeh can't be beaten for a 50mm-equivalent lens (and I have the Sigma 50 1.4) . So I'm thinking of getting a FA31 and a cheap K-01 body, but how much of this is grass-is-always-greener kind of thing? Specifically, what have you had on a body of any brand (aside from the exception below) that you liked better in the 50mm-e focal length?

Also, any experience using an FA31 with a Nex or MFT body?

-T

Edit: Leica-anything is out of my price range, so let's not go there

Last edited by twinda1; 03-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.
03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Forum Member

Unfortunately, I don't think there is such an alternative for PK mount ....
03-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i am not sure if I am understanding you correctly. You are shooting full frame on another system and you want a lens comparable to the 31mm? If you happen to shoot Cannon, I am pretty sure you can convert a 31mm and use it on a 5d mkii or mkiii as a manual focus lens (i've heard the conversion is even reversible).
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be interested to read this (subjective) comparison between the FA31mm and Voigtlander 58mm f.4:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/209251-fa31mm-...mm-f1-4-a.html
Both lenses are FF.

If you like MF, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is a truly amazing FF lens.

Hope that the comment may help.

03-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
i am not sure if I am understanding you correctly. You are shooting full frame on another system and you want a lens comparable to the 31mm? If you happen to shoot Cannon, I am pretty sure you can convert a 31mm and use it on a 5d mkii or mkiii as a manual focus lens (i've heard the conversion is even reversible).
Pretty sure you cannot use the FA31 on EF bodies( 5D Mk anything), but can use it on EF-s bodies only. FWIW, I use it on my K-01 and it is sublime!
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Pentax K 28mm/2
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The grass must be greener on one of the sides, and I think you correctly know which one it is.

The rumors suggest that your options will be changing for Pentax bodies in the next couple of months, so get an FA31 plus whatever looks like the best value in a new or used body when you're ready.

03-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Pretty sure you cannot use the FA31 on EF bodies( 5D Mk anything), but can use it on EF-s bodies only.
The FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited carries the Pentax 'FA' designation indicating it is designed for full frame. Some canon photographers have butchered FA limited lenses so they can be used on EF mount bodies, and the resulting images from the FA31 are nevertheless spectacular.
03-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #9

Let me fix that for you:

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Some canon photographers have modified FA limited lenses so they can be used on EF mount bodies

It's a mount transplant. A small engineering procedure. Is it really necessary to sensationalize it with lovely terms like butchering?
03-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Let me fix that for you:

It's a mount transplant. A small engineering procedure. Is it really necessary to sensationalize it with lovely terms like butchering?
Hmm.... I'm not sure on this but i think it depends. A transplant is like swapping it out for another mount. But in this case, i think "butcher" is a better term since we all know that most of them just hack or bend the aperture lever and flange to fit. Is it then not butchering, but transplant? -_-"....
03-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Sigma 30 f1.4, plain awesome, and I liked it better than FA31 ( I know I will offending a mass ). It's not a FF though.
03-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Go ahead and buy a FA31. By the end of the year anything under a grand will seem cheap for such an outstanding lens. I love my FA31, it's has stunning IQ, I would not part with it for anything.
03-18-2013, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
No sensationalism involved. I'm merely laying it out like it is. If you find the language I use unpalatable, that is your problem. I know of many instances where removing the aperture lever by simply snapping it off and ablating any protrusions into the mirror box with sand paper has been used to enable the use of pentax lenses on canon EF mount cameras. Unless it is done professionally changing the lens mount can cause irreversible damage to the functionality of a lens on the camera mount it was intended to be used on.

As a Noun the word butcher is used to describe "a person who destroys, ruins, or bungles something" I could have used more graphic language.....I speak several languages, I know curse words that could probably start small fires in dry grass.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-18-2013 at 02:19 AM.
03-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Distagon 1.4/35? 2/28?
Nikon 1.4/35 can also be used on canon.

I am ok with K28/2.
03-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use the Contax (either the AE or the MM version of the C/Y mount) on a Canon via a simple adapter.