Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
DA*30mm on the 2008 roadmap. Rumour said it was to be f1.4.
A 300mm f/1.4 lens? it would be about the size of a watermelon....A big one.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Now we seem to have the DxO effect confounded with the step-down ring aperture effect.
Pentax caneras don't fudge the ISO values the way Fuji,Olympus, Nikon and canon DSLR cameras do.If pentax did, we all would have spotted it by now - besides there is too great a range of lenses to be used on a pentax DSLR, many of which have no capability to communicate with the camera.

04-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Getting back to the original question... My opinion is that Pentax `owes' us a DA 28mm, preferably of the limited variety. My reasoning is that the 21 ltd more or less reproduces the 31mm FL on APSC, and any of the various 50mm reproduce the 77mm FL on APSC, so all that is missing is 43/1.54=27.92 mm lens...
My thoughts exactly!
04-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A 300mm f/1.4 lens? it would be about the size of a watermelon....A big one.
Yes it would, but I said 30mm, not 300mm.

I was out with my FA 35mm on the K-01 yesterday. I was vexed a few times due to lack of quick-shift focus. An FA 31mm would be no help. Pentax needs a modern, fast normal. A DA*30mm f1.4 with the same build as the DA*55 would do it for me. At $800, I'd jump on that in a minute.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.
04-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it would, but I said 30mm, not 300mm.

I was out with my FA 35mm on the K-01 yesterday. I was vexed a few times due to lack of quick-shift focus. An FA 31mm would be no help. Pentax needs a modern, fast normal. A DA*30mm with the same build as the DA*55 would do it for me. At $800, I'd jump on that in a minute.
I agree but make it a bit wider. I'd be drooling for a DA* or DA ltd 28mm or 24mm.

NaCl(as my dad used to say "I'd jump on that like a duck on a beetle" ---he grew up on a farm)H2O

04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I was out with my FA 35mm on the K-01 yesterday. I was vexed a few times due to lack of quick-shift focus
I think your choice of camera was more of a problem than the lens. Besides if you really need to switch focus modes quickly, simply press the lens release - it disengages the screwdrive mechanism.
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #66
Pentaxian

I think your choice of camera was more of a problem than the lens.
Cameras don't affect quickshift. And CD AF isn't inaccurate. PD AF misses focus all the time, just look at how many people complain about their Pentax DSLR focusing on something behind the object they wanted (not back-focusing; actually focusing on the thing farther away)
04-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
PD AF misses focus all the time
Really?

Are you saying that Phase detect AF misses 100% of the time?

I never knew that...and to think I have been using cameras with world class Phase detect AF (D3,D3s,D4,Canon 1Ds) for the past 8 years and it has been malfunctioning all the time.

People like you should just stick to Manual AF - if you can't get the shot, then it is your fault. If you can't use AF correctly then you shouldn't use it at all.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-15-2013 at 07:28 PM.
04-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #68
Site Supporter

@Digitalis. Stunning photos. What lens/lenses were used to capture these images?

04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #69
Pentaxian

the Lens used was the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG - the top two images are from a Pentax K10D - which has by far the most tetchy AF of any camera I have used so far, but when it nails the focus: the results are sublime The last image was from my Pentax K5IIs, which by virtue of not having an AA filter makes any AF system blunders painfully obvious - thankfully the AF of the K5IIs is very accurate*

*but only with pentax lenses from what I have seen - 3rd party lenses seem to have calibration issues, especially if the lenses aren't parfocal: like the sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG.
04-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Hhhmmm - there have been long, laborious threads here and on dpreview demonstrating that neither focal length nor angle or view are related to perspective, strictly defined. Perspective depends entirely on the relative physical positioning of you (the photographer) and the various objects in front of you; that will not change no matter what lens you put on the front of the camera. (Distortion is something different.)
This is an absurd remark.

Put a super telephoto on ANY camera and take a picture of something out near the horizon and you will find that the image is *flat* due to all lines of perspective converging on you in a greatly foreshortened and parallel manner. You will find no a single geometric object that has convergent lines receding from you at any other angle than *parallel*. Slap a super-wide angle lens on your camera and you can also look *sideways* and suddenly there are convergent lines everywhere. The image space is what we use as reference here and not absolute values that exist beyond it. Why would we claim that a FF sensor had 'higher resolution' than a APS-C sensor with the same pixel density if this were not true?
04-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Are you saying that Phase detect AF misses 100% of the time?
People like you should just stick to Manual AF
Yes, clearly that is exactly what I meant and you are not at all being obnoxious by literally trying to misunderstand what I typed. Also, thanks for the "people like you" remark. And I am quite happy to use "Manual AF" sometimes, thanks for the concern.
but when it nails the focus
*but only with pentax lenses
Oh wait a second. Are you saying PD AF isn't perfect? Because what you said here about two different DSLRs is that their PD AF isn't reliable, even for you, someone who is not "a people like me", someone who knows how to use the complicated apparatus that is AF. Well that is a paradox. But I guess I have to be explicit, for people like you to understand.
1) I didn't mean that PD AF always always fails, its a figure of speech saying that it misses and its not uncommon. Maybe English isn't your first language and you didn't get it, in that case I'm sorry, this doesn't apply. But by the way you kept referring to what I said, I think you misunderstood on purpose.
2) I stated that this isn't just a personal experience, but rather something you can see in many threads on these forums. A trend, if you will. So to blame me, personally, for being too inept to use PD AF is wrong. But if you know some secret technique, please write a thread on the correct usage of PD AF. I'm sure a lot of people would like that.
3) CD AF only looks for max contrast, which means it is often more accurate than PD AF, because Pentax cameras PD AF, has a large centre point, sometimes suffers from FF/BF, is greatly affected by the lens being used, is affected by the white balance, etc. CD AF, even though it is slower and has problems with moving subjects, is still accurate and saying that a CD AF camera is a wrong choice is just absurd. But its weird that you claim I shouldn't use PD AF if I don't know how to use it, but a post ago you claimied that a camera was a wrong choice for good AF. Doesn't that just mean that you don't know how to use it? And that someone who does wouldn't have a problem? So its wrong for people like me to blame a camera, but its okay for you to blame a camera? These were rhetoric questions. I will now try not to respond in this thread anymore. Nice pictures btw.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-16-2013 at 04:50 AM.
04-16-2013, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, since this has turned into a contest between a few posters to see who can put up the most insults, or make the other look foolish, we're done here.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Closed Thread