Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

28 - 105 SMC 1:4 to 5.6 lens

Drove to the local pawn shop and came across this Pentax lens. It was in the box and unused. Fit's my K-01 perfectly. While not a super special lens, I guess; it takes very clear pics and matches up perfectly with the K-01. Paid $120 for the lense. How'd I do? Anyone out there have any experience with this lens?

I like how this lens fits onto the K-01 and it will live on that camera as it's primary bit of glass.

stepmac

03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two. One is a Power Zoom lens, one is internal focus. The Power Zoom feature doesn't do anything on some cameras, works a little on others. I have that one and don't use it for anything.
03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

Do you have the black Power Zoom model? If so, it is an extremely nice lens for the money and yes, you done good. That lens in good shape will go for more than you paid, used.

This was my most used lens on my PZ-1 and produced many sharp pictures with great colors. It focuses pretty close and is, to my mind, one of the best zoom lenses Pentax produced. It is a bit slow but on a modern digital camera that is no longer a major obstacle. I'm not a pixel-peeping kind of guy. I just shoot so for me this lens has a useful range, does everything i ask without problems, and produces sharp pics with nice colors. I'm happy with mine, can you tell?
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mushin Quote
Do you have the black Power Zoom model? If so, it is an extremely nice lens for the money and yes, you done good. That lens in good shape will go for more than you paid, used.

This was my most used lens on my PZ-1 and produced many sharp pictures with great colors. It focuses pretty close and is, to my mind, one of the best zoom lenses Pentax produced. It is a bit slow but on a modern digital camera that is no longer a major obstacle. I'm not a pixel-peeping kind of guy. I just shoot so for me this lens has a useful range, does everything i ask without problems, and produces sharp pics with nice colors. I'm happy with mine, can you tell?
Yep, I can tell you like the lens. Power Zoom? Ya got me. Box says, "smcFA28zoom28mmF-4-105mm5.6. I don't see the term "Power Zoom" anywhere.

Pics look sharp so far. Just got the lens so I haven't had a chance to wring it out yet.

03-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
Yep, I can tell you like the lens. Power Zoom? Ya got me. Box says, "smcFA28zoom28mmF-4-105mm5.6. I don't see the term "Power Zoom" anywhere.

Pics look sharp so far. Just got the lens so I haven't had a chance to wring it out yet.
Is it this one?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196946-super-mu...-f4-5-6-a.html

or this one?

SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
It is the first one. Great photos of the pretty little girl with bubbles! BTW.. I've got the smc Pentax F 4-5.6 35 to 80 mm which was the lens that came with my K100D (I think.), this new smc 28-105mm and a Pentax smc DA 18 - 55. I've got a slew of other Pentax lenses. I've been gathering them since 1973. I've got a Tamron AF LD 28 to 200 that is heavy and bulky which I bought years ago for my ME-Super. It is a large piece of glass; 3.8 - 5.6. .. I've got primes lenses running out of my years, some ancient. One a 2.3 35mm that is an old K mount that is a little tricky to use. (that magic green button!) and a mate for it, a 3.5 135mm that I have never taken a picture with (except for fooling around), and a few 50mms, 1.4 (screw mount) and a bayonet 1.7. Then a Takumar 3.5 28mm, a lens that I love, but being a k-mount tricky to use. I've got a K-mount doubler that I do not know how to use....or I've never used it. It screws onto the camera via K adapter and then the other lens screws into it. I wonder if I could turn my 135 focal length into a 270mm with it? Then I've got these two Takumarzooms that I bought when I bought my ME Super in 1987. One a 4.5 80 - 200. It's a bayonet lens, but I'm not to sure how I can get its best from it in my K-01. I took it to Africa on my ME SUPER, took a zillion slides that were destroyed when I tried to have them processed in South Africa BIG MISTAKE.

My collection of Pentax lenses looks pretty neat when I array them all on a table. I had not used any since my trip to Africa in '06. After that I went digital and bought a K100D which worked, but I was flummoxed by the digital terminology and put it aside. I just bought my K.01 to use the old lenses on and it works.....still not wild about the lack of view finder tho, but IQ is great when I do my part.

I even have an old Manton 80 to 200 zoom that was only made in 1973. It is huge and heavy. K-mount. I keep it to use as a club.

This with my K-01 with the 28 mm prime.

03-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is the first one.
Then you are the proud owner of the power zoom version, released as the kit lens with the PZ-1 Basic power zoom functions work with the high end dslr bodies but not the low-end bodies.

QuoteQuote:
Great photos of the pretty little girl with bubbles! BTW..
Thank you. Sadly she and her mother (my cousin) live in Mexico and I only get to see her a few weeks a year

03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had both versions, the power zoom version did well except it lost a lot of IQ when shooting at distant subjects. The other version is a rebadged Tamron, which I came across a Tamron and Promaster badged copies in the same week. They are lighter weight than the heavy power zoom version, and both copies I had were much sharper throughout the range than the PZ. I gave one to my daughter and sold the other when I got a DA 18-135. If not for the DA18-135 I would still have it and use it extensively.
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is the first one.
The photo in the lens section here shows the words "POWER ZOOM" right above the window that shows focal length, but you can't see that until you know the trick. The zoom ring slides forward into Power Zoom position. Then it can rock left or right to zoom in or out. That only works on some high-end bodies, check your manual in the lens compatibility section. There's also a switch on the side, don't know what it does, mine has always been missing.

The lens is pretty heavy and the focal length is all wrong for me, so I hardly ever use it. It does take a decent shot, though. I went through a spell where I bought a Vivitar 28-105 Series 1 manual focus, this lens, a Pentax-F 35-135, and a Pentax-A 28-135/4. I thought this was the best of the bunch.
07-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

I just bought the power zoom version of this lens and I can't get it to work on my K-x.... anyone know why? It doesn't seem to "focus" on anything wether I use the power zoom or not. It also has an infinity sign on the showing in the top and it has a button on the side that I can't find any information at all about. It says "P A AS" any ideas of why this isn't working on the K-x? I was excited to find this lens because it's rated fairly well and I wanted a little more distance than the 18-55 kit lens but it doesn't seem to focus on anything except landscapes.... any idea?