Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Learning Curve FA 43mm Lens

I just purchased a new FA 43mm lens this past week and am learning how to use it. Who ever said learning to operate the FA Limited lens's was like learning how to drive a Ferrari was right! At first I thought "What have I bought" ? And how am I going to use it? Now after careful selection of subjects I'm beginning to see the usefulness and pixie dust this lens has to offer.

03-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just purchased a new FA 43mm lens this past week and am learning how to use it. Who ever said learning to operate the FA Limited lens's was like learning how to drive a Ferrari was right! At first I thought "What have I bought" ? And how am I going to use it? Now after careful selection of subjects I'm beginning to see the usefulness and pixie dust this lens has to offer.
This is a very nice sample shot taken with the FA 43mm Ltd.
What camera did you use? Which settings?

It is a good thing you posted this because .... I was just considering selling mine due to the fact that I have used it get this: ONCE !! One single click!

Now, I am better go and see what I can do with that lens, and thanks for the reminder.

JP
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I completely agree. I bought the FA 43mm Ltd a couple months ago and came to the same conclusion. I have taken some great photos with it... and some lack-luster ones (which were my fault ) but oooohhhhh does it make subjects pop out and give beautiful colour rendition
03-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

It is a good thing you posted this because .... I was just considering selling mine due to the fact that I have used it get this: ONCE !! One single click!

Now, I am better go and see what I can do with that lens, and thanks for the reminder.

JP
JP, although I have not used that lens recently (as most of my photo opportunities are event photos). The FA43 ltd lens is my favorite lens for portrait (3/4 length) indoor/outdoor shots for colour rendition and 3D look. For indoor shots, most of the 50mm lens are bit too tight, so 43mm is perfect. I don't use it much not because of lens quality, it is only because I have too many lens to use.

03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

JP
I used my new K5. f3.5 at ISO 80 1/750 shutter. Shot in Av Mode. The only other lens I own is the DA 18-135mm and I already know what it can do so I am only leaving the FA 43 on my camera for now so I can get proficient with it. I was looking for stunning "clear" shots and so far when used right, that's exactly what I'm getting.

I also wondered about setting the focus adjustment properly between it and the K5, but so far the autofocus seems to work like it should. And I don't have a lens align chart anyway. I'd hate to dump $100 into one just for one lens. I suppose if you manual focused it wouldn't matter anyway. But like I said so far it seems to focus spot on.
03-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love the 43. I really can't get enough of it. It seems to spend an awful lot of time on my camera, but the images that come out of it just make me so happy.

Don't get frustrated with the learning curve. Part of it is the fact that it is the 43 and it take a little while to wrap you head around how you can really make it shine. But for you part of it might also be an adjustment to prime over the zoom. The play with DOF and low light that you suddenly have is a real game changer. You are going about it right by focusing yourself on just using the 43 for a while.
03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Having used Leica lenses, not to mention many other manufacturers cameras and lenses for years, the FA limited lenses remind me the most of my Leica lenses. They catch nuances that some slower or less well designed lenses simply fail to reproduce.The inclusion of an aperture ring on the Limited lenses is a really nice touch, especially since I started my studies in photography with a Leica M3 and a Pentax LX. I place my hands on the metal lens barrel, feel the click stops of the aperture ring and it feels like home, unlike the wunderplastik polycarbonate lenses abominations manufacturers make these days.

Mark my words, you will be pining for the FA77 or FA31 next...

Pentax K-7- FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited
03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have to be inspired to shoot(read: trips), so I just shoot sports(Table Tennis). I started with the '43 and have used the '15, '21, '31, '77 and Tamron 70-200 all to good effect. The Table Tennis U.S. Open will be in Las Vegas in June and when I'm not playing, I'll have my '43 on-hand...and camera.

03-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'm interested in getting this lens for my K01, do you mind explaining more about the "learning curve", would love to know more.
03-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I use my FA43 solely one my Pentax manual focus film cameras.

The FA43 really shines as a “normal” lens and is also pretty easy to manual focus, even though the focusing ring is smaller than the ones on most “K” series lenses.

I also use the FA43 manual apertures, as I don’t have a film body that supports the “A” setting for shutter priority.

Phil.
03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
I'm interested in getting this lens for my K01, do you mind explaining more about the "learning curve", would love to know more.
By learning curve, I mean carefully placing the shot utilizing the 43mm focal length. In other words don't try to make it do something it wasn't meant for. And because its a fixed length it requires you to frame it by moving around. So I do alot more preparation and a bit thinking before just firing off a bunch of shutter clicks.
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's funny to read threads from user's who grew up on digital and AF zoom lenses.
03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
It's funny to read threads from user's who grew up on digital and AF zoom lenses.

I grew up on the Pentax Program Plus and P5 SLR
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

I use the FA 43mm and 77mm almost exclusively on my K-5. I will bring other lenses but unless there is a group shot, It is one or the other. The 43 gives me my inclusive image and the 77 is just a slice of the pie. Both force me to see the world in something other than proper framing which zooms tend to create. Enjoy the lens.
03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I was in Japan when the Program came out. I didn't get it because to me, it wasn't that much better than the ME Super. I also didn't get the PZ1 because my hands were too large for the grip.