Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F*250-600/5,6

It was me who bought that F*250-600 last week. Got it yesterday and are very pleased so far. The auction showed a lens with some scratches and had a pretty bad description. So it was a little risky, but the price of $3600 was to tempting. A good part of the scratches on the white paint was in fact dirt and cleaned up very well. There are still some scratches, but nothing to bother about. The glass is perfect. No scratches at all. The dent in the hood is alredy fixed. I have a friend with a car body shop and he helped me. This hood is rock solid and made of 3mm metal sheets and not easy to fix, but it is in good condition now :-)
The tripod mount is missing, but I have access to a CNC milling machine so I will have one made. I have to decide on aluminum or stainless steel, but I suppose I can manage that.

Last edited by StigVidar; 04-01-2013 at 07:07 AM.
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Awesome. Please post more photograph to this rare lens.

Well done.
03-20-2013, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's that tiny black thing on the end of the lens?
03-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go with aluminum. The lens is heavy enough without adding more weight to it. Plus aluminum is far easier to machine.

03-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

wow. congrats
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The tripod mount is sent for prototyping now and I have to wait a week or two to get a plastic model of it :-)

03-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Solidworks eh?

Congratulations on your new car... I mean lens! wow, I look forward to seeing pictures taken with it.

03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
The tripod mount is sent for prototyping now and I have to wait a week or two to get a plastic model of it :-)

With built in Arca Swiss plate as well to fit straight into the Wimberley? Nice!

Would seriously be interested in one as my copy currently has the FA* silver mount and would love a matching white one in the original style! Could you price one up for me please? Thanks!
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
With built in Arca Swiss plate as well to fit straight into the Wimberley? Nice!

Would seriously be interested in one as my copy currently has the FA* silver mount and would love a matching white one in the original style! Could you price one up for me please? Thanks!
Currently, I have not a clue about how much this is going to cost me :-)

A friend of me said he could mill it for free, but I am not sure he is able to (or his CNC milling machine is able to). So I am looking and searching for companies able to do this for not a huge amount of money.

PS. I sent you a message on your web site a week or two ago, but never got any answer. It was about the FA* mount. I asked Pentax about it, but the FA* mount is also unavailable now.

Last edited by StigVidar; 03-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

A friend of me said he could mill it for free, but I am not sure he is able to (or his CNC milling machine is able to). So I am loking and searching for companies able to do this for not a huge amount of money.

PS. I sent you a message on your web site a week or two ago, but never got any answer. It was about the FA* mount. I asked Pentax about it, but the FA* mount is also unavailable now.
Speaking as a former machinist, I see nothing in the mount you pictured that your friend couldn't do on a CNC controlled mill, even a small one like a Bridgeport. Additionally, once he has the program, he start producing them for sale. Having said that, he may tell you he can't make it if he doesn't want to make it.
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #11

A friend of me said he could mill it for free, but I am not sure he is able to (or his CNC milling machine is able to). So I am looking and searching for companies able to do this for not a huge amount of money.

Hi Stig, thanks for the reply, would very much appreciate an update when you have one.

Have checked the site and cannot find any new comments, checked the spam too, so not sure what happened there? Can I ask how you sent the message so I can find out what happened?

How can I help with the FA* mount?
03-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There are places where you can just upload your design and they mill it for it -- it is not terribly expensive.
03-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Hi Stig, thanks for the reply, would very much appreciate an update when you have one.

Have checked the site and cannot find any new comments, checked the spam too, so not sure what happened there? Can I ask how you sent the message so I can find out what happened?

How can I help with the FA* mount?
I used your web form: Contact @ Danny Ewers PhotographyDanny Ewers Photography

I wanted to know if you used the FA*600 or the FA*250-600 mount, but then I saw in a forum that you bought it with this mount and probably don't know? But I asked Pentax in Norway about it and was told that either mount is unavailable now.
03-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There are places where you can just upload your design and they mill it for it -- it is not terribly expensive.
Do you now of any which you can recommend?
03-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the club. At that price I felt like if you could get a mount made it would be a no-brainer.

Might I also suggest stopping by here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/152168-where-g...0-2-8-etc.html