Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Question For Old Timers.

Which BA is/was worse? Analog or digital? I had my LX for 30+ years until last year(I have another...somewhere)as I thought that newer offerings didn't supersede it's abilities. I now find that digital technology is zipping along and I'll have to be happy with what I've got if I suddenly can't afford this hobby.

That being said, I have to have a IIs before the ship goes down.

Last edited by tabl10s; 03-20-2013 at 05:26 PM.
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
A Question For Old Timers
I always worry when I see thread tittles like this, cos I know it means me.

I like you, was a big LX fan, in fact I still have a couple that used very irregularly.

Nowadays, more than happy the digital offerings of today and will be even happier when FF arrives, so my lenses will work like they used to on the LX's.
03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find myself regressing. I just bought a LX, and a Spot F, and Ricoh KR-10...

I plan on shooting B&W and developing it myself. It's a sickness worse than digital, because I can't afford new gear...

Not that I'm an old timer, I'm only 39 (I have lusted after the LX for 25 years at least).
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought my ME Super at 18(1980)and my LX's at 20 & 21 respectively(military discount with no tax helped).

03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started around 1970 with a school Spotmatiic; was given a KX in 18977 and bought an MESuper in 1984.

I've bought and sold 42 Pentax film bodies in the last 10 or so years, just about everything I ever dreamt about in a catalog, and the lust is finally sated. I could actually let everything but the SV, KX and LX go.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Almost got an LX, but instead I bought a Mamiya 220 Pro f TLR medium format. However I'm old and have been in the Pentax fold since '68....bought a new S1a....then in '74 bought a new ES 11....then wife got a K1000 in '80.
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
was given a KX in 1877
Wow, Pentax is a lot older than I thought. You are too.

03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow, Pentax is a lot older than I thought. You are too.
Well, it is elderly
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People who shoot film tend to be collectors. There is a lot of old used film gear and manual lenses, so space becomes an issue. It’s not uncommon to have dozens of film cameras and lenses. Good news is that most of the old stuff is not expensive and can easily be resold, a lot of times at a profit.

People who shoot digital tend to want the latest and greatest new items. New gear is expensive, does not hold its value and is not built to last. Digital gear is going to be harder to unload down the road, especially the camera bodies. It’s also unlikely to be of any value in 40 years, like the old film gear is. Keeping up to date with the latest consumer electronics fad is a vicious expensive cycle.

Analog BA is worse for space and digital BA is worse for cost.

Phil.

PS yes I'm an old fart!
03-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Analog BA is worse for space and digital BA is worse for cost.
How true about storage.
Old film cameras; I keep jiggling and reshuffling. The Retinas and other range finders on top.
Next, below, the Minoltas and screw mount Pentax's from pre Spotmatic to ES11
In the drawer the K mount family except the K2, including the original MX bought in 1976
All shown are operational and it takes time to give each it's turn.
Attached Images

03-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
People who shoot film tend to be collectors.
Yes, I do collect cameras, and I am lucky enough to have an LX, MX, Super A and Z1P (and others) amongst my horde. Of course, I used to shoot film (since the 1960s), and had my own darkroom, where I processed and printed my monochrome (sorry, monochrome - no pun intended ). That was a lot of fun, but I since having gone digital, I don't miss it at all. I find that, with results obtained immediately, I am a lot more adventurous in my photography, and have recently tried my hand at macro work (well, close-up, anyway) and birds in flight with results that I found pleasing. I really feel my photography has improved a lot since my film days. This could, of course, be partly down to accumulated experience, but much of it is down to the fact that I am more confident to experiment, both with the camera and with post-processing.

Incidentally, I have a freezer drawer full of 35mm and 120 film. It's ancient stock of course, but since it's been kept in the fridge/freezer since it was bought, it should be ok. I have plans to bring those film cameras out of retirement in the Spring/summer, just for nostalgia's sake.

Flickr: brianjdavies' Photostream
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah! If we're going to show pictures of collections, here's mine, for what it's worth. Pentax is second shelf down. Basically, they are all the cameras I lusted after in my younger days, but couldn't afford.

Taken with my Q. Sorry about the quality, the cabinet's mirrored back did not help the flash photography. If anyone else has pictures of their collections, I'd love to see them
Attached Images

03-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At one time, I wanted the LX, OM 2, A-1 and MD11 all at the same time.

Last edited by tabl10s; 03-21-2013 at 10:30 AM.