Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hawaii trip .... polarizing filter for 18-135WR ?

I am leaving for a trip to the Big Island on the 31st and was wondering if a CPL will make the difference shooting with my K30 and 18-135WR?
I will also be taking my Sigma 55-300DG macro and a manual ricoh 50mm.

I have future plans to buy a DA15mm but my budget won't allow it at the moment. I will buy a quality CPL for this lense once I get it as it will be my main landscape lense.

I saw a thread recommending Marumi CPL filters but I cannot seem to find a dealer in my area.

Any recommendations for a Marumi dealer near Vancouver, BC, Canada?
Or a recommendation for a CPL from Hoya, B&W or Kenko? All of these are available locally.

Thanks!

03-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brownie4u Quote
I am leaving for a trip to the Big Island on the 31st and was wondering if a CPL will make the difference shooting with my K30 and 18-135WR?
I will also be taking my Sigma 55-300DG macro and a manual ricoh 50mm.

I have future plans to buy a DA15mm but my budget won't allow it at the moment. I will buy a quality CPL for this lense once I get it as it will be my main landscape lense.

I saw a thread recommending Marumi CPL filters but I cannot seem to find a dealer in my area.

Any recommendations for a Marumi dealer near Vancouver, BC, Canada?
Or a recommendation for a CPL from Hoya, B&W or Kenko? All of these are available locally.

Thanks!
Amazon sells some, Rakuten.Com sells them and they can be found through eBay. The Marumi kills the others in tests when you look at performance (top 3-4) and price (cheapest in the top 5-7) AND the DHG models are EASY to clean (I've never had a Hoya filter that didn't attract dust and fingerprints and hold onto them stubbornly).

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Filter-Digital-Grade-Japan/dp/B003G4G6VY/ref=sr...=marumi+cpl+62

Last edited by Docrwm; 03-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A CPL would make a very good addition for your 18-135. I would suggest using it when you are at the longer end of the range. As for using a CPL on your future ultra-wide angle lens, use with caution if at all. Polarizers can give very problematic results on wide angle shots. The gradation of color in a wide sky tends to be very inconsistent, making the sky look blotchy. This cannot be fixed in postprocessing. You might be better off with a graduated ND filter for the wides.

I can't help with advice on Vancouver dealers but can say I have had very good experiences with B&W filters. They make a quality product.
03-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Amazon sells some, Rakuten.Com sells them and they can be found through eBay. The Marumi kills the others in tests when you look at performance (top 3-4) and price (cheapest in the top 5-7) AND the DHG models are EASY to clean (I['ve never had a Hoya filter that didn't attract dust and fingerprints and hold onto them stubbornly).
Thanks for that advice, I've been meaning to pick up a CPL for this, my current walkaround lens. I have a HOYA for my 16-45 so if I want to get creative sunbeam shots or whatever, I have to get the lens AND the filter (not usually in the same place).

03-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Heck yes, get a polarizer and learn to use it! (and learn when NOT to use it). You'll be glad for such a tool in your bag, it will help enhance the sky and foliage, and cut water reflections.

You'll love it there I'm sure.
03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a Marumi Super DHG CPL (the "Super" part adds easy cleaning, oil-water resistence) for my 18-55WR and could not be happier. They have the best quality/price according to several reviews arround the net (LensTip.com - lens review, lenses reviews, lens specification - Lenstip.com). And having a WR lens, you will certainly appreciate the "super" part.
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

I didnt get a CPL for my DA15 as I was afraid of it being too wide. The lens itself produces very stunning and contrasty colour without the CPL. My friends who saw my pictures with it actually thought I used one.

03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would also get a ND filter for regular use too. It is so BRIGHT there.

2filter.com is supposed to be reputable but I have not used them
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I would also get a ND filter for regular use too. It is so BRIGHT there.

2filter.com is supposed to be reputable but I have not used them
Over the years several people have reported good experiences with them, and they carry a HUGE variety. I've bought my Marumi filters from Amazon simply because the prices were the same and I have a corporate account with Amazon.
03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I would also get a ND filter for regular use too. It is so BRIGHT there...
And potential waterfalls depending on where you are on the island. Rainfall ranges from a desert to something like 100 inches a year in Hilo. It should be about at the end of the rainy season now.
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The 62mm filter size is really annoying for this lens; I've got 4 or 5 CPLs already but none in 62mm
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Definitely get a polarizing filter, they make a difference to the skies, I got a Henry's branded one, I have no idea who makes it. Be sure and rotate it if you have sun dogs. As an addition, be aware, we only get Vignetting on the 18-135, if the Polarizing filter is on, the extra 3/16 of an inch makes a difference. Nevertheless, we leave it on all the time.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks as always for the great advice!

I will have to see if I can get on of the Marumi CPL filters by next week, if not I will certainly buy one the others locally.
03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The 62mm filter size is really annoying for this lens; I've got 4 or 5 CPLs already but none in 62mm
Step-up/down ring?
03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Definitely get a polarizing filter, they make a difference to the skies, I got a Henry's branded one, I have no idea who makes it. Be sure and rotate it if you have sun dogs. As an addition, be aware, we only get Vignetting on the 18-135, if the Polarizing filter is on, the extra 3/16 of an inch makes a difference. Nevertheless, we leave it on all the time.
Have you tried one of the slim CPLs? I don't get vignetting with my Marumi.