Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please help me find this lens!!!

Ok,

I'm almost ready to give up - I've been searching for this Sigma EX 100-300mm F4 for the past 6 months, and nothing... No one can confirm that is was discontinued in Pentax mount, and yet, nowhere to be found

For anyone who has any local camera shops in your area - please, next time you there, remember "little-ole-me" and check if they have one in stock ? I have no local stores anywhere near me!!!

The only other option is to get it from Japan, but question - does this "1 year international warranty" really work if I get it from Japan?

Kind regards,
D

03-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This lens is not discontinued. The problem is that Sigma produces their lenses in cycles, which means that a lens that is not high priority will get produced less often.

The camera stores also have to order a certain amount of lenses each time if they do not wish to run out. Many do not keep this lens in stock at all, and that might be the reason why you can't find it.

If you place a order for it in a store that sells Sigma, they will most likely send a purchase order to Sigma and you will get your lens. The problem is that if you miss Sigma's production cycle, it might take you as long as 3-4 months before the lens arrives.

But that's just how things are done in crazy Sigma-land. You could also check with Sigma USA if the have it in stock, and if not make a complaint to them.
03-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

henry's up in canada is advertising that they have the lens if you want to look up there for it
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma4less.com lists a newer version Sigma Zoom Telephoto 100-300mm f/4 EX APO DG IF Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF (134109) -

the version you mention says "discontinued" The newer version is not in stock ATM, but I am guessing it will be in the future..

03-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd be skeptical. I have "purchased" this lens from two different internet camera stores - one a very big name seller. Both listed it as "in stock". Both purchases were using PayPal and ended up as refunds, eventually. The first seller contacted me saying that "the packaging of the lens we had in stock appeared damaged and so we have sent the lens back to Sigma for further inspection. Unfortunately that was the only one we had in stock." They promised that they would be receiving a shipment in a couple weeks. I waited and waited, no luck.
The second seller never sent me an order confirmation, so a few days later when I called, they said, "Oh yeah, it should ship out tomorrow." Then a few days later came the news that it was not in stock and they were waiting on Sigma to ship more. They were pretty sure it would only be a few weeks. I said the hell with it and got a refund.
So be prepared to wait! I figure, if I've got to wait for whatever, might as well hold out for the Pentax DA 60-250.

"A lens in the hand is worth two on the Internet."
03-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback all!

Yes, saw it at Henry's, but that is almost $300 above what everyone sell it when in stock.
Checked for weeks with every store online as NeverSatisfied did, but called before placing online order, no stock (regardless of the listing online).

Just got response back from Sigma - not discontinued as Shashinki said, I guess I may have to wait till the next production run? Oh well, this is the lens I want, and will wait. I've seen the results first hand on D200, stunning lens. So I'm waiting.

Still, if anyone finds one - please, PM me, I want it!

Regards,
D