Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree with you that the more likely issue is that AF has decided to focus somewhere else, not where the OP wanted.
Agreed. I would suggest a trial with AF turned off and a less complex subject, perhaps?

Maybe something like a metal bridge at 100 yards distant in good light, manual focus (live view using a loupe), on tripod...

Steve

(...why do we keep getting these soft lens threads that boil down to missed focus on complex subjects...)

03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I had a wedding (terrifying right? I used a different lens) and then the sickness with my kids is just awesome.

My experience has been that unless I'm going to be shooting something close (within a few feet) I need to stop down the lens. I was focused on the 6 for each picture. It looks entirely too soft and I could do better manually, although slower which frankly makes af a little pointless if it won't do a good job. I'll try again without the multipoint focus when everyone is healthy again. Hopefully soon.
03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We want photography to be approachable, because it's not all about image quality - but, if you are interested in high resolution, learn to focus manually. When you have mastered that, you will better understand when autofocus can give you high resolution and when it cannot.
03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My F50 f1.7 is sharp wide open to infinity, but I've sent mine to CRK(Pentax Australia distributor) for a service to get a misalignment problem fixed to get that result...

my 2 cents

03-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by April.H Quote
Sorry, I had a wedding (terrifying right? I used a different lens) and then the sickness with my kids is just awesome.

My experience has been that unless I'm going to be shooting something close (within a few feet) I need to stop down the lens. I was focused on the 6 for each picture. It looks entirely too soft and I could do better manually, although slower which frankly makes af a little pointless if it won't do a good job. I'll try again without the multipoint focus when everyone is healthy again. Hopefully soon.
Perhaps you could try manual focus to see if you have the same issues?

Steve
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I still had my 50mm 1.7 lenses (first the M, and later the F), I loved them up close wide-open, but I was usually disappointed when using them wide-open on distant subjects.