Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Need help to choose between 2 walkaround lens

Im looking to buy a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. But im hearing alot of good things about the tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I just need an everyday walkaround lens. Please your advice is needed. Thanks and have a great weekend.

03-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
Patajac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 241
17 is really useful when you want to go wide, 50-75 range not so important IMO
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
17 is really useful when you want to go wide, 50-75 range not so important IMO
Greatly depends on your shooting style though.

If you're more into scapes then surely wider lenses are more used but if you focus more on the details the slightly longer lenses would be better.
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
Depends on your shootingstyle, for travel/holyday/work walkaround I use a sigma 17-70. A decent (not stellar) performer which FL can handle 90% in an unknown situation.
I also have the DA*16-50, which has better IQ but sometimes I miss the 50-70mm range (but that`s just me, I like tele)

03-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 382
I like having the longer reach, so I would choose the 28-75mm. But that is my style of shooting everyone is different.
03-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,807
To me, an everyday walk around lens would be the Pentax 18-135. Unless you're walking around indoors a lot, F2.8 just isn't necessary , but the extra range sure is nice. Even when walking around with a 2.8 I don't find myself using F 2.8 a lot. It does enable better focussing with more light. But out doors, that's not often an issue.
03-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,898
17-50 is not long enough, 28-75 is not wide enough for a catch-as-catch-can single-lens, i.e., 'walk-around" option :-( But between the two I would go with the 17-50 because I prefer wide to long. I bought a used Sigma 17-70 for my WA, sacrificing a bit of IQ for the flexibility.
03-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
I sold the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as it was just too big for a walkaround for my taste, preferring to carry the FA35 attached and one or two (read 3 or 4...) other primes in the bag... It's a great lens, don't get me wrong but a 49mm filter thread is much less intimidating to most people and I tend to get better shots partly (I believe) because of this using my FA-primes than I did with the 17-50...

03-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
17 is really useful when you want to go wide, 50-75 range not so important IMO
thank you patajac. im really eyeing on this lens for a long time. thanks again.
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Greatly depends on your shooting style though.

If you're more into scapes then surely wider lenses are more used but if you focus more on the details the slightly longer lenses would be better.
thanks anvh im gonna test both lens today.
03-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Depends on your shootingstyle, for travel/holyday/work walkaround I use a sigma 17-70. A decent (not stellar) performer which FL can handle 90% in an unknown situation.
I also have the DA*16-50, which has better IQ but sometimes I miss the 50-70mm range (but that`s just me, I like tele)
thanks for the opinion TenZ.NL. on my canon gear i got like 3 tele lenses. i really like tele lens.
03-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
I like having the longer reach, so I would choose the 28-75mm. But that is my style of shooting everyone is different.
i agree rockmaster1964 thanks.
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To me, an everyday walk around lens would be the Pentax 18-135. Unless you're walking around indoors a lot, F2.8 just isn't necessary , but the extra range sure is nice. Even when walking around with a 2.8 I don't find myself using F 2.8 a lot. It does enable better focussing with more light. But out doors, that's not often an issue.
it is true normhead. majority of my walkaround lens would be outdoor. how do you like your 18-135?
03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
17-50 is not long enough, 28-75 is not wide enough for a catch-as-catch-can single-lens, i.e., 'walk-around" option :-( But between the two I would go with the 17-50 because I prefer wide to long. I bought a used Sigma 17-70 for my WA, sacrificing a bit of IQ for the flexibility.
thank you Specialk the sigma 17-70 looks really amazing. i look at some pics at pixel peepers and i really like it.
03-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I sold the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as it was just too big for a walkaround for my taste, preferring to carry the FA35 attached and one or two (read 3 or 4...) other primes in the bag... It's a great lens, don't get me wrong but a 49mm filter thread is much less intimidating to most people and I tend to get better shots partly (I believe) because of this using my FA-primes than I did with the 17-50...
thanks DaveHolmes, i got a pentax 35mm f/2.4 that comes with my k5. when i purchase it. but that the only lens i got so far for pentax. im just starting my addiction to pentax coming from canon this is whole different world for me. thanks again.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f/2.8, im, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron, walkaround
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help to choose the right lens.. complete novice. NikNak1980 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 02-11-2013 11:52 AM
If you had to choose 2 lenses........help needed. Skipper74 Pentax K-5 15 01-11-2013 07:54 AM
Please help to choose between two lenses haris Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-05-2010 03:21 AM
Which one to choose... need help okita Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 03-18-2010 12:58 AM
need help to choose a tele-zoom... Thanks Palu Guimaraes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 04-24-2007 04:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top