Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Water resistant screwdrive Lenses?

Water resistant electronics are obvious. A screw drive prime or zoom? That seems like a different question. Perhaps someone would be bold enough to experiment just how much water a non-WR lens can take...

03-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I understand the question? Are you asking if screw drives lens can be WR? If so the DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR comes to mind...

Or maybe I misunderstand.
03-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WR means weather resistant, not water repellant.
03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
Water resistant electronics are obvious. A screw drive prime or zoom? That seems like a different question. Perhaps someone would be bold enough to experiment just how much water a non-WR lens can take...
Screwdrive lenses can still be weather-sealed because the drive shaft is inside the rubber ring that forms a tight seal when mounted on the body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Apologies for not being clear. I was trying to compare a WR lens to a non-WR lens. If the lens is screw drive I see no reason it cannot get wet.
03-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean a non-WR getting wet is OK just because it is screw-drive?
What about vapor or condensation between the elements? Water leaking into the camera body at the lens mount?
Any of those seem relatively troublesome to me. I'm sure a lens could be carefully - actively - dried out once wet, but I have always tried to keep my non-WR equipment from the rain, mist, snow, etc.
03-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
I guess its all speculation at the moment, but in practice I don't think there is sufficient gap at the lens mount for rain water to get in. The same goes for lens elements.

03-24-2013, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not speculation. There is a reason why WR lenses have an O-ring around the mounting plate, and all the electrical contacts are inside that. Without a WR lens, your otherwise WR camera is not WR either.

Plenty of water can get in, and if it does it will ruin your camera and your lens.

Just don't do it.
03-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #9

in practice I don't think there is sufficient gap at the lens mount for rain water to get in. The same goes for lens elements.
Trust me; water can and probably will get inside of a camera body through the lens mount if exposed to rain or moisture for more than a very short amount of time. I used an old Nikon film camera in a the rain for a while once, not really concerned about what would happen to it since it was pretty destroyed anyways. Good thing I did not care much as you could see the water sitting in the bottom of the body at the end of the day. It can easily ruin a camera. Especially a digital one.
03-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I know that this review isn't very scientific, but 7D was frozen from the inside and still worked. That is a fact. I don't believe that K-5/II/IIs is less immortal

I have shot many times with my K-5IIs and 31mm or 70mm Ltd's (which are not WR) in temperatures up to -15 celsius for up to 2 hours. Never had a problem.
03-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apologies for not being clear. I was trying to compare a WR lens to a non-WR lens. If the lens is screw drive I see no reason it cannot get wet.
A screw-drive lens still has lots of electronics, gears, plus the glass itself can develop fungus. I see no reason why a screw-drive lens should be less wary of water.

Maybe you refer to fully manual lenses? If so, you're right that electronics would not be a problem, but there are still well-oiled components and the fugus issue. Plus fogging, etc.

Never a good idea to expose a non WR lens to lots of water.
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess its all speculation at the moment, but in practice I don't think there is sufficient gap at the lens mount for rain water to get in. The same goes for lens elements.
Not speculation at all. Water and camera lenses do not mix, it does not matter if they are 'electronic' or completely manual. Nearly all of the older (all manual lenses) that I have come across with problems were damaged by water. Usually this ends up as fungus inside the lens, but sometimes also as water spots on interior elements caused by water drying and leaving a residue.

There is a reason those of us in wet climates love WR lenses.
03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not speculation at all. Water and camera lenses do not mix, it does not matter if they are 'electronic' or completely manual.
What he said...

Though I would go as far as to suggest that while WR might be nice, it is best used as protection against the unexpected rather than a the basis for general use. If you one really wants to shoot in constant rain/spray/surf/monsoon, a proper enclosure is your best bet.

Steve

(...has managed, with reasonable care, to have never sacrificed a camera or lens to the weather gods...time is probably coming...)
03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
sometimes also as water spots on interior elements caused by water drying and leaving a residue.
I have definitely seen this (not on my lenses) as a result of condensation inside the lens caused by rapid temperature change.

Steve
03-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Canon 7D - Hardcore Durability Test - YouTube
I know that this review isn't very scientific, but 7D was frozen from the inside and still worked. That is a fact. I don't believe that K-5/II/IIs is less immortal

I have shot many times with my K-5IIs and 31mm or 70mm Ltd's (which are not WR) in temperatures up to -15 celsius for up to 2 hours. Never had a problem.

That's what I was looking for, but with a Pentax body. Any volunteers? I once baked a mechanical wristwatch that got waterlogged. Worked just fine afterwards.