Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How used would you get for the DA* 16-50?

So i've been looking at the DA* 16-50mm. I've found a couple in a good price range. One has had no problems with it, and the other the AF never worked, but was recently sent in to Pentax in Arizona for a full tune up and repair. It has a six month warranty attached and is supposedly in better than new condition. Not sure if I believe that last claim, but good to know it was just in for servicing.

Anyway, they're both less than $800, the one that was just fixed is nearly $100 less than the other that has had no problems. Was thinking of making the purchase, but was looking for an outside opinion. Which lens would you get? The cheaper one that was just repaired or the slightly more expensive one that has had no problems. Are official Pentax repairs reliable?

Thanks

03-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When in doubt, get the Sigma 17-50mm

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
get the Sigma 17-50mm
Aye, but he'll loose a millimetre of range on the bottom end if he does that.
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

I think the biggest reason to get the Pentax DA* 16-50mm would be the WR.

03-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
When in doubt, get the Sigma 17-50mm
I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone mentioned that or the Tamron.

Ok, so let's pretend those lenses don't exist, and the only option in that range was the DA*.
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldn't get either given that you've got a 1:5 chance of having the SDM fail (whether or not it's been fixed, based on the survey here). But if you absolutely have to have the 16-50, take the newly repaired one (with repair docs) -- at least you get newer internals and a six month warranty -- the more expensive has older internals and no warranty at all.
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hey another NOLA pentaxian A third option is to ask Adorama or B&H for their in-store price. You will need to call or email them directly but you can base your decision on buying used or new off of that price, which you might find to be cheaper than a used copy in 100% working condition. It will almost certainly be cheaper than the price of a used copy + out of warranty repair bill. If you get a SDM dud you now have the option of screw driving it thanks to the instructions by a forum member (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html).

03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

I'd buy the the cheaper one that was just repaired.
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by callmeraymon Quote
I think the biggest reason to get the Pentax DA* 16-50mm would be the WR.
I think the ONLY reason he would get the Pentax is WR
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would get the repaired one as PENTAX said they fixed the SDM issue, I would think they mean the new motor will be fine.
I like my DA*16-50. Last year's thanks giving discount (bundle with K5II) bring it to $800?
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As always, the SDM bashers come flocking in......

For the point of the repaired lens supposedly being in "better than new" condition, there is a little truth to that. When you send a lens in for a repair like this, not only is the SDM motor replaced, but the lens is optically tuned. In some cases the lens will be sharper and render a much better image because of this. Therefore, I feel the repaired lens would be the better bet.

I love my DA* 16-50 and will never part with it. If it needs a repair, it is going to get it so I can keep enjoying the lens.
03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
I appreciate the input, everyone. Right after I posted this and got a few replies, I went to check on one of the copies and it looked as if my caution had come at the expense of losing the cheaper one. The auction was over and I had lost out. I figured it was probably a sign and didn't worry about it too much. An hour later I saw that the auction was back up, as apparently the person who had attempted to "Buy it Now" was an alleged scammer. Took that as my break and bought it. $690. Figured it's a good price for the condition considering any problems that may come up in the future. I'm staying optimistic and looking forward to this lens...and my extra mm in focal length.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Hey another NOLA pentaxian A third option is to ask Adorama or B&H for their in-store price. You will need to call or email them directly but you can base your decision on buying used or new off of that price, which you might find to be cheaper than a used copy in 100% working condition. It will almost certainly be cheaper than the price of a used copy + out of warranty repair bill. If you get a SDM dud you now have the option of screw driving it thanks to the instructions by a forum member (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html).
Thanks for the tip, neighbor. Maybe i'll see you around one of these days.
03-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So which one did you buy - the repaired one?

I see events like that as kind of "omens" myself - it was meant to be!
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
So which one did you buy - the repaired one?

I see events like that as kind of "omens" myself - it was meant to be!
Yeah, the repaired one. Hopefully their techs just didn't dust it off and ship it back. Still, I have a 14 day return period from the seller, so that eases my mind a bit. The six month warranty i'm not too sure about. I thought those weren't transferable.
03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehaus Quote
Yeah, the repaired one. Hopefully their techs just didn't dust it off and ship it back. Still, I have a 14 day return period from the seller, so that eases my mind a bit. The six month warranty i'm not too sure about. I thought those weren't transferable.
You might have a chance with the repair waranty if the seller gives you his receipt. No guarantees that it would work, but I would feel better if I had that receipt if something went wrong within the 6 months.

At any rate - congrats on the new lens - you got a good deal and I think you will love it. When you get it, check it out, then just enjoy shooting with it!