Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
So I am basically just looking for any advice you may have about purchasing the best FA31 I can for my circumstance.
I agree with the adivce alrady posted. Buy new, AIV is not a sign of inferior quality, buy from B&H or Adorama that allow you to exchange copies no questions asked, and do test for wobble and sharpness.

I own (what I think is) an excellent copy of a FA31, it has no wobble and sharp from wide open, and it is AIV. MIJ is more for collectors.

03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree with the adivce alrady posted. Buy new, AIV is not a sign of inferior quality, buy from B&H or Adorama that allow you to exchange copies no questions asked, and do test for wobble and sharpness.

I own (what I think is) an excellent copy of a FA31, it has no wobble and sharp from wide open, and it is AIV. MIJ is more for collectors.
thank you for that sir.. And your images rock, btw. :-)
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

some photos from the AIV copy of FA31

03-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All great shots! .#2 is some serious eye candy. #4 is incredible too.. thanks for sharing..

03-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, I never thought this day would arrive, (and it actually hasn't yet), but I was told at work last week that I have a surprise bonus coming this Friday with my paycheck, and to the chagrin of my wife, I told her that a third of it is going to the purchase of an FA31.

[Background: I have been doing the FA31/FA77 internal debate and research ever since I found out about my bonus last week, as I want both lenses pretty much equally.. The funny thing is that while the hefty price tag of the FA31 is a deterrent to many, for me it actually tips the scale in favor of the FA31 because I can buy the FA31 and then worst case scenario if I feel like I should have got the FA77, I can sell the FA31 to buy it. I know that I would love the FA77 even more than the FA31 for everything - except for indoors stuff. FA50/1.4 was my first prime and I love it, but as long as I've had a cropped Pentax camera, I've felt that 50mm is too long for indoors, and even my DAL35 feels slightly too long and slow to me for indoors.. 28mm for me has always been a favorite for indoors and other stuff too, but my 28's are MF f2.8's and I feel that's often too slow...So I could buy the FA77 first, in hopes that I could eventually buy the FA31, but that would be harder and take longer than going for a FA77 later because of the steeper price tag.. Like many I am sure, I have considered waiting for the upcoming Sigma 35/1.4, but again, 35mm still feels a touch too long for me on k5..It is slightly faster which makes me waiver a bit, but the same situation applies here where I could sell the FA31 for the S35 if I really wanted to...]

So I am basically just looking for any advice you may have about purchasing the best FA31 I can for my circumstance. I've read a bit about the things to look out for once acquired, like the wobble and sharpness (although I don't actually know how to test lens sharpness yet)... My primary concern right now is where and what to buy. Should I make sure MIJ? I really want to buy for under $1000 (especially for the wife), but I want to make sure I have a good copy... The B&H copies are AIV, right? Is that ok? If any used copies come up on the forum before I pull the trigger, I might go for that but it seems unlikely...

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks!
The FA 31 currently costs US$989 from B&H whereas here in OZ it costs AU$1695 and our $ is currently buying just under US$1.05. I regard that $989 as cheap. I had a AIV unit that I sold and will be trying to get another FA31 ASAP as it was a great lens. I can't see that there would be any major differences frankly.

Last edited by bossa; 03-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
03-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My FA31 is also AIV, and if it has any flaws I am unable to find them. I used it solidly for a month in the SIngle in January challenge, and although I would not pretend to compete with MikeSF and twitch, you can see my humble offerings HERE
03-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

gorgeous work, Sandy!

03-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am honoured Mike
03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Get a room guys!
03-26-2013, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

AIV FA 31LTD & K-5

03-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Getting a good copy is the key, whether AIV or MIJ. However, it may be difficult to find a copy with no wobble.
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks guys! Bossa I am glad you're adding one back into your fold, though your wallet isn't going to be. Your shots above are fantastic. You are quite the equipment adventurer, going boldly where few can go!..

Sandy I've seen your work and like Mike said, great stuff!

Thanks Chesebert. This kind of makes me want to be on the lookout for a used copy..
03-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

thanks guys! Bossa I am glad you're adding one back into your fold, though your wallet isn't going to be. Your shots above are fantastic. You are quite the equipment adventurer, going boldly where few can go!..

Sandy I've seen your work and like Mike said, great stuff!

Thanks Chesebert. This kind of makes me want to be on the lookout for a used copy..
Au Contraire, you should buy local and go through the reseller's entire stock.
03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Au Contraire, you should buy local and go through the reseller's entire stock.
I wonder if there are any local Pentax resellers in southern Cal.. I know Samy's had long stopped carrying Pentax the last time I was in there (about a year ago).. I'll have to look into that... thanks

update: called Fry's, Samy's, Calumet (each listed at pentax.com as carrying pentax with shops all over LA and OC) and tried a couple other smaller shops in L.A. and Orange County... Only Fry's carried a K30 but nothing else. Most people I talked to seemed like they'd never even heard of Pentax..

Last edited by todd; 03-26-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: new info
03-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found a potential used copy for sale. I asked him about the wobble and here was his reply: "Never noticed it until you asked, but if you try to wiggle it, you can, just a little. Not sure if that's a defect or just the way they are."

So the question is, how much wobble is too much wobble?