Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks again chesebert.. I am feeling the inner strength build up to hold out for a non-wobbler. In this price range I just want it the best it can be.

03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
How did you get a price of $831? They are selling the lens for $1,200, 15% off still leaves a price of $1,020.
I paid $990 less 15% = AU$841 and they added $20 for shipping so that's $861. After I bought the lens they increased the online price to AU$1200.. I'm pretty sure the price I got was a mistake. I just hope they don't send me a beat up demo model or a return that's defective.. if they do they'll be getting it back with interest. I've been waiting for the exchange rate to get the B&H price under a grand delivered and was about to buy from them but this is the sweetest deal due to local warranty and 130 cheaper than B&H even. Because Pentax Australia are really CR Kennedy (who also distribute Sigma) I initially thought that the new low price was in response to the Sigma 35/1.4 which is to be released for Pentax soon.
03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Here's another Australian online store with the FA31 on sale: https://www.becextech.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1998#.UVSxgldj-Hc

they are doing it for $994
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Wobbler does feel less solid, however. The non-wobbler feels like a solid brick in comparison, much like how CZ feels (CZ feel indestructible)
Exactly how I feel as well. But I must emphasis this feel had nothing to do with the actual toughness after figuring out the cause.

03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Phew... The used wobbler sold..
04-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh happy wobble-free day! I didn't want to bother buying new with the potential hassle of having to return a wobbler, so I contacted an ebay seller of his used mint copy and asked him to check if it had any wobble. He tested and said there was no wobble, so I took the risk and purchased it for $950. It arrived today and it is indeed in pristine non-wobbling condition! My Panasonic FZ18 58mm hood and 58-49 step down adapter arrived today too and I am ready to party! Samples at f1.8 look plenty sharp to me, although I will be testing for sure. yeehaw!
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Oh happy wobble-free day! I didn't want to bother buying new with the potential hassle of having to return a wobbler, so I contacted an ebay seller of his used mint copy and asked him to check if it had any wobble. He tested and said there was no wobble, so I took the risk and purchased it for $950. It arrived today and it is indeed in pristine non-wobbling condition! My Panasonic FZ18 58mm hood and 58-49 step down adapter arrived today too and I am ready to party! Samples at f1.8 look plenty sharp to me, although I will be testing for sure. yeehaw!
Great result, congratulations!

04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more question that I don't want to start a new thread for: Should I be thinking that this lens is susceptible to developing a wobble if it takes a hit or fall, etc? I find myself being extra careful with it and checking it whenever it takes even a little bump...

(I read at least once somewhere on the forum that somebody had an FA31 that developed the wobble. They didn't provide any info about it, but just mentioned it... I looked again but couldn't find the post)..
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
Inactive Account

One more question that I don't want to start a new thread for: Should I be thinking that this lens is susceptible to developing a wobble if it takes a hit or fall, etc? I find myself being extra careful with it and checking it whenever it takes even a little bump...

(I read at least once somewhere on the forum that somebody had an FA31 that developed the wobble. They didn't provide any info about it, but just mentioned it... I looked again but couldn't find the post)..
As far as my research goes, this wobble is the result of some screws not being screwed tight enough. Once/if the screws are tight, there shouldn't be any problems with this annoying wobble anymore
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
As far as my research goes, this wobble is the result of some screws not being screwed tight enough. Once/if the screws are tight, there shouldn't be any problems with this annoying wobble anymore
thanks
04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #71
Inactive Account

thanks
No problem, I know how you feel
31mm Ltd is so precious that it sometimes make me feel like Gollum from LOTR
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
No problem, I know how you feel
31mm Ltd is so precious that it sometimes make me feel like Gollum from LOTR
haha yes that spell seems to be working on me too...
05-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The FA31 however is different. 3 lens groups are moving independently of each other, and the front or the rear group (or both) may wobble due to less than perfect inner barrel dimensions (a rather loose manufacturing tolerance to reduce cost imo because imprecise barrels were not discarded).
@wlachan: Would you expect any wobble at all with a good copy?

I've seen one that doesn't wobble at all at either minimum or maximum focusing distance. Only when focused at a certain distance, a slight movement of the front part of the lens was possible. But even then it wasn't loose, just could be moved with a little force.

I'm wondering how to recognise a good copy.
I would highly appreciate if you could share your expertise.
05-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably a little late to reply. Sounds like the lens should be fine, but wobble free alone does not guarantee perfect alignment, just to clarify.
05-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Sounds like the lens should be fine, but wobble free alone does not guarantee perfect alignment, just to clarify.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Are there any tests for checking alignment?

I often use a decentering test myself that involves taking five images of a relatively far away subject without changing focus in-between. In the image series the subject is located in the centre, and all four corners respectively. By comparing the corners -- which will be weaker than the centre but should be pretty comparable among themselves -- one can see whether a lens has a weaker corner or even weaker half.