Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lenses to match style

I've been shooting "seriously" for a few years now (though dabbled on and off for over 30 years) and following a short dance with a K10d body (after my D70 got sick) with kit 18-55 and 100 macro, I'm starting clean slate.

Here's my "style" - hk08 - Page 1

I took these last week, where I had my Leica D-Lux3 and K10d with me. The reality is that almost all of these images are from the Leica. Part of that is just that I had the camera with me more, but I also just wasn't happy with what I was getting from the Pentax. I also was not impressed with the feel and build of the 100mm macro lens (or the kit lens but I don't expect much from that). Coming from a Nikkor 105 (pre-VR), the Pentax felt cheap and klunky.

While I wholeheartedly lay most of the blame at my feet/hands/eyes, I can get what I want with some setups (I don't shoot the Leica full auto, but rather in program mode and manually set iso all the time, and sometimes manually set aperture and/or shutter) so I think it is a combination of learning the tool as well as finding the one you bond with.

Given the way I shoot (or what I see), what would be your top couple of lenses to put on a K20d body? I could go back to Nikon and get a D300 but I really want to like the Pentax. I don't care about fps or nanosecond AF. In fact, I prefer to manual focus (and do it with the Leica often using the joystick). But I do want to use AF from time to time, and would like auto aperture.

I'm thinking an SMC A 50/1.4 or 1.7 for low light/indoors, a Voigtlander 125 macro (if I can find one), and maybe a * zoom? I hate to spend that much money right now, so I suppose the 16-45 could do in a pinch...

03-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have no idea what lens you would need in the pentax world.

But thank you for sharing you images of Hong Kong. Beautiful and inspirational.

Part of why I enjoy this forum is for the international contributions. Tonight I got to visit Hong Kong.

Thanks.

Eric.
03-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

31mm LTD and 77mm LTD
03-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
31mm LTD and 77mm LTD
funny, but at some point late last night almost the same thing popped into my head:

35mm macro ltd
77mm ltd

03-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yeah, that 35mm macro sure is intriguing...
03-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In addition to the fine limiteds, look at any of the A* lenses. A*200, and the A* 85 come to mind and if you have deep pockets, and can find one the KA*135 f1.8. Also the A50 f1.4, A28 f2.8, A20 f2.8. for a zoom the KA 35-105 f3.5 is very fine and underrated lens. Most of the KA lenses are really fine optically. There are a few gotchas, though (Stay away from the KA135 f2.8). The KA lenses are made of metal, have very good build, and since they are MF lenses, they have a much better MF feel.

You might also consider a Katz Eye Focus screen, if you prefer MF.