Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #61
Forum Member

Just joined the forum and this is my first posting. The forum has been extremely useful with real life info from Pentax users. I have had a Pentax from the early 80's and still have my MX and ME Super film bodies.

To keep this on track with this thread I have been using the 35 and 70 special for a few years, but feel I have been missing out so have just purchased the 31, 43 and 77 to go with the recently (last year) purchased 15. Have been getting so fed up with zooms, except for the Pentax 12-24 which is great and need to shed a little more weight in the back pack.

They are in transit at the moment from B and H. Can't wait to try them out.

Tim

04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #62
Forum Member

The Amazing Primes

This is my second post, don't know where the first one went?

Have found this forum really useful so have decided to join. Regarding the small primes I have the 15, 35 and 70 special editions and love them. I am getting a bit fed up of lugging around a few zooms except for the 12-24 which is great. I've just ordered the 31, 43 and 77 from B and H and they are in transit to me right now. I hope they are as good as people say, might try them on my old MX and ME Super film bodies as well.

Cheers

Tim
04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tjstimbo Quote
This is my second post, don't know where the first one went?

Have found this forum really useful so have decided to join. Regarding the small primes I have the 15, 35 and 70 special editions and love them. I am getting a bit fed up of lugging around a few zooms except for the 12-24 which is great. I've just ordered the 31, 43 and 77 from B and H and they are in transit to me right now. I hope they are as good as people say, might try them on my old MX and ME Super film bodies as well.

Cheers

Tim
Oh there it is, must be my slow internet connection, apologies for the duplication.

Tim
04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #64
Pentaxian

this thread is useless without pics...

we know you want one...

Pentax K-7 - SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited

04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

we know you want one...

can I play too?

I got four out of the LTD collection, and have decided the 35mm Macro will be my next, and most likely last. DA 40, FA 77, FA 31, and FA 43 was my route.

here are my opinions, and I hope they help your LBA

DA 40: very small, very light, very sharp, a great overall lens, especially for the price. It's usually in my bag as a backup or just an extra lens as it's so tiny and will fit anywhere. Will also shove it in my pocket when I go out if I'm taking only a mounted lens with me. Was my third purchased lens, and the initial fire that started the LBA. Caused me to want the 43mm Limited so I could hopefuly similar results on my MX. The purchase of a MZ6 pushed that plan back for about a year as the lens also covers 35mm and works fantastically on film as well.

FA 77: my most used lens to date. Doing a "meta search" in Lightroom on my main computer with all my external drives hooked up proves this, with at least 30% more photos taken with this lens than any other in my collection.. In addition, I have taken more "keepers" with this lens than any other, and has helped me create arguably my best work. It also never leaves the bag. This lens controls my mind, and has become a favorite since first click. It sparked the "I gotta get all 3" feeling. When I see something that sparks my photographic mind, I instantly frame it with the 77 in mind, and then have to wrap my brain around the situation once I figure out the 77 is either not with me, or the fact I can't position the camera/myself in a way to capture it... In my opinion...the best lens I've ever owned.

FA 31: really a disappointment to me, and over-hyped. But let me explain... I do not think in "normal" focal lengths. I never use my 50mm lenses on film. I rarely take my 50mm over my 85mm on my D600. I do not like the "normal" field of view. This will become my least used lens out of my modern Pentax lenses. Do not get me wrong, the rendering of color, sharpness, and bokeh is nothing short of fantastic, it is just not for me. Checking the meta data sorting in Lightroom... the 28-35mm focal range, even when using zooms, is less than half of my photography as a whole. Still going to keep it though, it's a great lens, and completes my collection.

FA 43: I just got this 3 hours ago, and I have a buggered leg right now (torn tendon in the bottom of my foot) so not wanting to go out and do some shooting. Luckily it's grey and gloomy outside this spring. But, I already know I'll use it quite a bit after owning the 40mm limited. The first few photos I've taken were what I expected in FOV, and I find my mind likes this FOV quite nicely. I also found the colors and sharpness to be closer to the 77mm than the 31mm, and personally I like the character of the 77 more than the 31.
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

FA31 works particularly well on the K-01 too for street shooting. F8, MF, focus peaking, and be there!

FA31 street

And the FA43 is pretty darn delicious on the street as well

04-16-2013, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I do not think in "normal" focal lengths. I never use my 50mm lenses on film.
Well that is where you an I differ - I'm really into normal focal lengths - because if you took a good look at the 180 50mm lenses I have you would see exactly how abnormal "normal" lenses really are. Though I understand your preferences: there is just as much variety amongst the typical 70-135mm "portrait" focal length range as there is amongst 50mm lenses. Besides it is hard to make a poorly performing short telephoto lens these days - there are plenty of bad 50mm lenses out there as things are - the Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is certainly one of the most interesting lenses I have seen over the years.

Pentax K7- SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-16-2013 at 09:42 PM.
04-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
can I play too?

I got four out of the LTD collection, and have decided the 35mm Macro will be my next, and most likely last. DA 40, FA 77, FA 31, and FA 43 was my route.

here are my opinions, and I hope they help your LBA

DA 40: very small, very light, very sharp, a great overall lens, especially for the price. It's usually in my bag as a backup or just an extra lens as it's so tiny and will fit anywhere. Will also shove it in my pocket when I go out if I'm taking only a mounted lens with me. Was my third purchased lens, and the initial fire that started the LBA. Caused me to want the 43mm Limited so I could hopefuly similar results on my MX. The purchase of a MZ6 pushed that plan back for about a year as the lens also covers 35mm and works fantastically on film as well.

FA 77: my most used lens to date. Doing a "meta search" in Lightroom on my main computer with all my external drives hooked up proves this, with at least 30% more photos taken with this lens than any other in my collection.. In addition, I have taken more "keepers" with this lens than any other, and has helped me create arguably my best work. It also never leaves the bag. This lens controls my mind, and has become a favorite since first click. It sparked the "I gotta get all 3" feeling. When I see something that sparks my photographic mind, I instantly frame it with the 77 in mind, and then have to wrap my brain around the situation once I figure out the 77 is either not with me, or the fact I can't position the camera/myself in a way to capture it... In my opinion...the best lens I've ever owned.

FA 31: really a disappointment to me, and over-hyped. But let me explain... I do not think in "normal" focal lengths. I never use my 50mm lenses on film. I rarely take my 50mm over my 85mm on my D600. I do not like the "normal" field of view. This will become my least used lens out of my modern Pentax lenses. Do not get me wrong, the rendering of color, sharpness, and bokeh is nothing short of fantastic, it is just not for me. Checking the meta data sorting in Lightroom... the 28-35mm focal range, even when using zooms, is less than half of my photography as a whole. Still going to keep it though, it's a great lens, and completes my collection.

FA 43: I just got this 3 hours ago, and I have a buggered leg right now (torn tendon in the bottom of my foot) so not wanting to go out and do some shooting. Luckily it's grey and gloomy outside this spring. But, I already know I'll use it quite a bit after owning the 40mm limited. The first few photos I've taken were what I expected in FOV, and I find my mind likes this FOV quite nicely. I also found the colors and sharpness to be closer to the 77mm than the 31mm, and personally I like the character of the 77 more than the 31.
Watch your lingo mate ;-)

I got 'done' for saying bast@rd in a 'nice way' in another thread.

I'm surprised that you don't like the '31as this has to be my all-time favourite lens. I'll be buying another '77 soon though as I never used my previous one enough due to having two nice zooms that overlapped that FL. ....no Pentax zooms this time for me. I really wish that I'd sold all of my old musical gear instead of my Pentax stuff last year.. ..it's too late now though. I thought Nikon was going to be all I needed but my back is telling me otherwise (along with my wonderful new DA*55 and K-01).

04-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Well that is where you an I differ - I'm really into normal focal lengths - because if you took a good look at the 180 50mm lenses I have you would see exactly how abnormal "normal" lenses really are. Though I understand your preferences: there is just as much variety amongst the typical 70-135mm "portrait" focal length range as there is amongst 50mm lenses. Besides it is hard to make a poorly performing short telephoto lens these days - there are plenty of bad 50mm lenses out there as things are - the Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited is certainly one of the most interesting lenses I have seen over the years.

Pentax K7- SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
Awesome BG!
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

FA 31 LTD
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #71
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If a new 31 makes your 43 feel inadequate, an extension may pad its damaged ego...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-17-2013, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

we know you want one...

Thanks. Now look what you've done. Now I " need" an FA 31 instead of just wanting one.

I have however made a decision on my next lens purchase.. It will be the DA 15 mm. It will make a nice wide angle paired with my FA 43 on my new K5.
04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #73
Pentaxian

we know you want one...

Sharp where is should be sharp, smooth bokeh elsewhere, that pic nicely demonstrates the greatness of the FA31
04-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Sharp where is should be sharp, smooth bokeh elsewhere, that pic nicely demonstrates the greatness of the FA31
If you had an FA43 and were looking for another wider angle lens, would you purchase the DA15 first or go for the FA31. I only have funds available for one more lens at this time. I trust your judgement.
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I'm convinced... I've had the 77 for over a year and the 43 for over 6 months. Yesterday I ordered the 31. With two bodies (K5 and K-01), I'm curious to see who the odd lens out will be. I imagine that the 43 and 31 will share the K-01, and the 77 will share time on the K5 with the F 135, but time will tell.