Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I'm convinced... I've had the 77 for over a year and the 43 for over 6 months. Yesterday I ordered the 31. With two bodies (K5 and K-01), I'm curious to see who the odd lens out will be. I imagine that the 43 and 31 will share the K-01, and the 77 will share time on the K5 with the F 135, but time will tell.
How do you use the 77? Its such a great lens but it seems the focal length is soo long its almost a telephoto. Are you happy with the 43?

04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I use the 77 primarily for portraits of people or of things (i.e., still-life), though it works for landscapes as well. It is a telephoto lens - a short tele on full frame, and a mediumish tele on APSC (~115mm). The rendering of the 77 is so fine, that it can make a hard boiled egg look special.

I love the 43. L-O-V-E it. It has been on my K-5 about 80-90% of the time since I got it. I just bought a $250 K-01, and the 43 has taken up residence on that now. I use it in much the same way as the 77, i.e., portraits and still-lifes. But it does lend itself more readily to pictures with a wider subject, like landscapes. I took both 43 and 77 to Mexico on vacation recently, and used the 43 about 70% of the time. For people pictures, the 77 has the benefit that you can be farther away and so less intrusive, and it is also better suited for close-up portraiture, but the 43 is better for portraits of groups or environmental portraits.

I have to admit that when I first joined PF last year, I didn't understand why people would feel the need to own all three FA limiteds... Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. Thank goodness for an understanding wife!
04-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use the 77 primarily for portraits of people or of things (i.e., still-life), though it works for landscapes as well. It is a telephoto lens - a short tele on full frame, and a mediumish tele on APSC (~115mm). The rendering of the 77 is so fine, that it can make a hard boiled egg look special.

I love the 43. L-O-V-E it. It has been on my K-5 about 80-90% of the time since I got it. I just bought a $250 K-01, and the 43 has taken up residence on that now. I use it in much the same way as the 77, i.e., portraits and still-lifes. But it does lend itself more readily to pictures with a wider subject, like landscapes. I took both 43 and 77 to Mexico on vacation recently, and used the 43 about 70% of the time. For people pictures, the 77 has the benefit that you can be farther away and so less intrusive, and it is also better suited for close-up portraiture, but the 43 is better for portraits of groups or environmental portraits.

I have to admit that when I first joined PF last year, I didn't understand why people would feel the need to own all three FA limiteds... Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. Thank goodness for an understanding wife!
So you use your kit lens for wide shots? Ever thought of a DA 15 or 21?
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #79
Veteran Member

I have gone back and forth in my mind about the 21 and 15, and even rented them both for 10 days last summer... Bottom line is that I am not really a wide-angle kind of guy. The Sigma super wide (24mm) is about as wide as I might want to go in almost all situations. So when it came down to 15/21 vs 31 (and once I received the thumbs-up from my wife), getting the 31 was the obvious choice for me.

I imagine that some day (perhaps sooner than I expect - such is the nature of LBA!) I will add the 15 or the 21. But once the 31 arrives (early next week, I hope), I will have enough toys to play with for a while.

And yes - if I need to go wider, I use the DA 18 - 55, which is in fact a very nice lens at f/8.

04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have gone back and forth in my mind about the 21 and 15, and even rented them both for 10 days last summer... Bottom line is that I am not really a wide-angle kind of guy. The Sigma super wide (24mm) is about as wide as I might want to go in almost all situations. So when it came down to 15/21 vs 31 (and once I received the thumbs-up from my wife), getting the 31 was the obvious choice for me.

I imagine that some day (perhaps sooner than I expect - such is the nature of LBA!) I will add the 15 or the 21. But once the 31 arrives (early next week, I hope), I will have enough toys to play with for a while.

And yes - if I need to go wider, I use the DA 18 - 55, which is in fact a very nice lens at f/8.
I would be interested in what your thoughts are concerning the FA 31 in relation to wider or landscape shots. And most importantly what it will do to your current amount of use of the FA 43. I don't want to buy the FA 31 only to shelve the FA 43. I would rather buy the DA 15 and continue using the FA 43 (if that makes sense).

Last edited by Driline; 04-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.
04-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I would be happy to answer that question in several months.

(I had similar concerns, but I have for the moment allayed them by getting a second body )
04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

and for fun

thats why you need 3

04-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

and for fun

thats why you need 3
Wow, great comparison. Thank you. I have to be honest here. The 43 looks more contrasty and just a tad bit sharper than the 31 or 77. I'm looking at these on a 27" IMAC.
Another observation.....the 77 is quite obvious with its longer focal length, however its not as pronounced looking between the 43 and 31. I'm thinking the DA 15 will be my next lens......
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
would you purchase the DA15 first or go for the FA31. I only have funds available for one more lens at this time. I trust your judgement.
The DA15 isn't optically quite in the same league as the FA31 - but physically the two lenses are superb, though for me personally the FA31 is more desirable due to its aperture ring.

Like the FA31 the DA15 brings compactness and flare tolerance like no other UWA prime does - and its central sharpness is impressively high.

Pentax K7- Pentax DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH Limited
04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The DA15 isn't optically quite in the same league as the FA31 - but physically the two lenses are superb, though for me personally the FA31 is more desirable due to its aperture ring.

Like the FA31 the DA15 brings compactness and flare tolerance like no other UWA prime does - and its central sharpness is impressively high.

Pentax K7- Pentax DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH Limited
I understand its not in the same league as the FA's, but it seems to be the best optically for a prime in a wider focal range. Your close up picture of the DA 15 is impressive. Had you not labeled it a DA 15, I would have guessed it to be one of the three limited FA lenses.
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Your close up picture of the DA 15 is impressive. Had you not labeled it a DA 15, I would have guessed it to be one of the three limited FA lenses.
yes, the DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH does have its virtues, its optical design is clearly of pentax heritage. The upper left corner of that image you can see a hint of a 7 bladed aperture - the FA limited lenses have 9 blades, the 7 bladed aperture is part of the optical signature of the DA15. My issue with the DA 15 is that even at f/8 it isn't as sharp in the corners as my Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 is @ 15mm - also the sigma zoom has lower chromatic aberration than the DA15, this can be corrected in post production however the loss of sharpness in the corners cannot be corrected. The DA15mm f/4 also has some pretty bad field curvature which makes manually focusing it a bit of a challenge - the slow f/4 aperture doesn't help with that either.

But if you are aware of these quirks, the DA15mm f/4 is a real joy to work with:

Pentax K10D - Pentax DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH Limited
04-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the FA limited lenses have 9 blades, the 7 bladed aperture is part of the optical signature of the DA15.
Some great points made in your posts Doug, but I have to pick you up on two minor points of order. The FA43 has eight aperture blades, and the DA21 shares the DA15's "signature" of seven.

Don't get me wrong though, I find your breadth and depth of knowledge on the technical side of photography very helpful indeed, and the images you post are always outstanding.
04-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The FA43 has eight aperture blades, and the DA21 shares the DA15's "signature" of seven.
I stand corrected - if you will excuse the pun I have *limited* experience with the FA43 - I only have a copy of it in Leica screw mount that I typically use on my Leica M8 since 43X 1.3 = 55.9mm it is better suited to the Leica M8's framelines than the M9. I as of yet I haven't used the DA21.
04-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe....and this is just a thought....the IQ of the FA 43 is so damn good that perhaps I won't be happy with anything other than an FA lens. And if that's the case I'll have to wait for Pentax to come out with an FA limited lens somewhere between 15 & 24 in an all metal prime like the 31,43 & 77.

I mean look how sharp the house is using the FA43 as a landscape lens. (Sorry,the house will look much better after it greens up in Spring).

04-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Why not rent the 15 and 21 (and perhaps the 31 too) and see (a) which FL you prefer, and (b) if the IQ is to your liking.