Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood mistry

Hi
I bought a lens hood off eBay that I hoped was for my Auto-Tak 35mm f3.5, but no, it is way to large.

What lens could this possibly be made for?

It is marked: Takumar 1:3.5 35mm and it measures approx 54mm on the threads.

Any ideas?

Regards
Baard-Einar.

Attached Images

03-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe some medium format lens? Could also be a modified/off brand hood
03-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

My guess is the original K series 35mm f/3.5. That would have had a 52mm filter mount. Definitely not a 6x7 lens, though, as that thing was much larger (and could not even accept a hood, filter, etc., being a fisheye).
03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rather Mystery

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
My guess is the original K series 35mm f/3.5. That would have had a 52mm filter mount. Definitely not a 6x7 lens, though, as that thing was much larger (and could not even accept a hood, filter, etc., being a fisheye).
Yes but the K is not a Takumar lens, and my hood is not 52mm but 55mm. I have several lenses and step-down rings, and it is to large for the 52-49

Strange..

03-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am going to guess that this hood is missing a piece. I have two of these and they appear to be hoods for a 50mm lens. The silver bit is a step up ring from 49 to 55. The black bit is not marked. The assumption may have been that you already hod one of these if you were buying a second lens.
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The font looks right for an original hood (although it's hard to tell for sure from the picture). The 35mm Takumar's never had such a front filter size (the f3.5 was originally 46mm, then later 49mm); indeed the only Takumar lens (as I recall) with any front filter size between 52mm and 58mm is the Auto-Takumar 85mm f1.8, which had a 55mm filter. 35 and 85 are very similar looking numbers, so I could easily believe that an erroneous run of 85mm f1.8 Auto-Takumar hoods (right date to say just Takumar) was made which ended up stamped as 1:3.5 35. That having been said, is this the right shape for the 85mm hood? Perhaps someone who has one can chime in, but it still looks more like a shallow, wide-angle hood to me (indeed, it doesn't look like the one here: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses.

Another alternative is it was part of an early batch, maybe the first batch of these hoods, when they still hadn't finalised the optical design and hence front filter diameter. Hence they used a 55mm thread to be safe and then fixed an adaptor ring when the final filter size was established.
03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote

I am going to guess that this hood is missing a piece. I have two of these and they appear to be hoods for a 50mm lens. The silver bit is a step up ring from 49 to 55. The black bit is not marked. The assumption may have been that you already hod one of these if you were buying a second lens.
For the AT55/1.8 and AT35/3.5 I just sold the diameter of the base (male) of the silver piece that attaches to the lens threads was 46mm. Both hoods had the silver piece.
03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It looks like we have our answer then, it's missing the silver adaptor ring to bring it to the right size. I wonder why Pentax did that; I guess it was somehow cheaper or easier to manufacture if the hoods for various lenses had a common thread size (or, at the least, as I suggested, it afforded them more flexibility if they changed the filter size without needing to retool the hoods)

03-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
It looks like we have our answer then, it's missing the silver adaptor ring to bring it to the right size. I wonder why Pentax did that; I guess it was somehow cheaper or easier to manufacture if the hoods for various lenses had a common thread size (or, at the least, as I suggested, it afforded them more flexibility if they changed the filter size without needing to retool the hoods)
Yes, I thought but did not post, that Pentax might have done that for manufacturing reasons, or perhaps knowing that the filter threads diameter would change.

Interestingly, I might still have a metal hood that came with a Super Tak 55/1.8 with the detachable silver ring in 49mm threads. If so it is in a box full of stuff that has accumulated since 1999 when I joined eBay.

I also had (and sold on to the recent buyer along with the K and the 2 lenses) a solid black Bakelite hood with 46mm threads for the AT55. I'll have to look at a photo to relay what the markings were, but IIRC it was only imprinted Asahi Optical Co.

Someone here just paid $395 for Provencher (The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977), now OOP. Whoever has that book can likely make an authoritative ruling.
03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Interestingly, I might still have a metal hood that came with a Super Tak 55/1.8 with the detachable silver ring in 49mm threads. If so it is in a box full of stuff that has accumulated since 1999 when I joined eBay.

I also had (and sold on to the recent buyer along with the K and the 2 lenses) a solid black Bakelite hood with 46mm threads for the AT55. I'll have to look at a photo to relay what the markings were, but IIRC it was only imprinted Asahi Optical Co.

Well on the other side of the hood, it says Asahi Optical Company as it should. The hood is indeed very shallow, and yes it might be lacking that adapter ring.

For comparison, I snaped a very bad mobile photo of the hood Monochrome is refering to along side with my strange hood.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LT18i  Photo 
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Someone here just paid $395 for Provencher (The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977), now OOP. Whoever has that book can likely make an authoritative ruling.
395USD?? oh s*
04-25-2013, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mystery solved

Just an update on my mystery with the hood. I bougt a regular 46mm hood for 55mm lenses, and took the adapter ring and placed in on the 35mm f3,5.

It looks good, or?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LT25i  Photo