Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
enlarger lens know-how

Way back when there were some tantalising posts on using darkroom lenses like Schneider Componon-S and Rodenstock Rodagon as macro lenses. Can anyone tell me:

* do these get coupled on front of a normal lens or used as-is?
* what mounts are required?
* will they require stop-down metering?
* do they benefit further from extension tubes?
* does this solution provide any benefits over getting an older 100mm macro and adding tubes?

Thanks for any help!

03-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think these need a bellows for use.

To be honest, I never thought about it because I sold all of mine years ago
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Way back when there were some tantalising posts on using darkroom lenses like Schneider Componon-S and Rodenstock Rodagon as macro lenses. Can anyone tell me:

* do these get coupled on front of a normal lens or used as-is?
* what mounts are required?
* will they require stop-down metering?
* do they benefit further from extension tubes?
* does this solution provide any benefits over getting an older 100mm macro and adding tubes?

Thanks for any help!
1) You would need a bellows or extension tubes with a focusing rail

2) You would use stopped-down manual metering (P, AV, or Manual) since the aperture will be manual or pre-set at best

3) The mount is M39 (Leica thread), though I think adapters are available (M39 --> M42--> K-mount ???)
03-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1) You would need a bellows or extension tubes with a focusing rail

2) You would use stopped-down manual metering (P, AV, or Manual) since the aperture will be manual or pre-set at best

3) The mount is M39 (Leica thread), though I think adapters are available (M39 --> M42--> K-mount ???)
OK thanks! That's maybe too much for me to take on at the moment. Looking for a cheap way to get into macro but want the ratio to be 2x or better without sacrificing quality. Don't mind extension tubes but not likely to buy rails and bellows etc. Would also prefer a method that preserves auto-aperture (though manual focusing is of course a necessity).

03-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It would look like this - it is still taking-up space in one of my cases.

03-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
It would look like this - it is still taking-up space in one of my cases.
Thanks for the pix... that helps me get a feel for the setup.

How did it work out for you? Did you replace it with another macro solution or move on to other fun stuff?

I just went around the room using a second lens as a cheapo reversing solution. I couldn't get focus or steady myself enough but had good fun anyway. I think this could be addictive!
03-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, macro can be addictive. I didn't have much success with the bellows for a couple of reasons. One being that to fucus you need to move the camera and the bellows.
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Yes, macro can be addictive. I didn't have much success with the bellows for a couple of reasons. One being that to fucus you need to move the camera and the bellows.
I have thought from time to time also about a bellows, but to really make a go of it, you need a rack and pinion attachment between bellows and tripod for fine adjustment.

In fact, you really also need this for even a regular macro lens beyond true 1:1.

When I looked at copying old photos years ago, I built a specific copy stand out of an old enlarger so I could get the camera square to the paper, and to adjust easily the height above the photo for framing.

Usually I would mount the photo into an enlarging easel to hold it flat.

I have, since that time gotten rid of my darkroom and all that stuff, and use a flat bed scanner now.