Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Which lens to?

Hi All:

You can see my curent lens lignup in my sig below. I'm looking for a lens to do tabletop "still lifes" (like a bowl of eggs) for stock use. Close focus is a must and since I'm using a tripod, I think a zoom would be better then a prime. I was kind of thinking the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, but would be interested in what others might suggest. Of course I'll use whatever I get for other purposes as well, but primary need is for shooting a bunch of houshold items on a table. BTW, though about going the macro route, but I don't think I need to get that close. Close focus yes...macro no. Curently I'm using the Sigma at 200-300 in macro mode.

Last edited by kpfeifle; 03-03-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Poor Spelling Ability
03-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the Tammy would be a fine choice for your purposes.
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From my collection I find that I use my 31mm Limited, and A 100mm Macro for close work the most. Sometimes the FA 50mm /1.4 get's used. The Tamron is on my aquisition list and from what I hear it's a great lens (especially for the price). From my experience with my Limiteds I know you'll need/enjoy the wider aperature.
03-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you'll be pleased with your Tamron for this application. I just shot a bunch of photo equipment pics for possible future sale. I used a Pentax 28-70/2.8 and though I can't stand doing "table top" type studio work, the chore was actually pleasant. The lens I used has a minimum focus distance of 1.4 ft. As long as your Tammy has a similar close focus capability, I think you'll end up liking it for this purpose. Also, the 2.8 aperture is nice for focusing in low indoor lighting (better than the f. 4 and above's).