Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax D FA 50mm Macro lens has fungus - how much would it cost to fix?

My Pentax D FA 50mm macro lens is showing faint signs of fungus on the inside edge of the front element. It isn't severe, and it doesn't affect any of the other elements, but it does need to be fixed. How much would this kind of repair cost to perform, and would it be worth it? (I called C.R.I.S. and they said that they would need to replace the affected lens elements to fix it.)

--DragonLord

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
03-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it to Eric for an evaluation
03-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Send it to Eric for an evaluation
This is a modern AF lens, not a vintage Takumar. I'm not sure if a third party would be equipped to handle this...

--DragonLord
03-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Eric can clean the elements. He's better than C.R.I.S. anyway. He doesn't work on digital cameras but D FA is a coatings and barrel change only from the 1988 F50/2.8 Macro (8 elements in 7 groups) - the design is old enough that they were current-issue before he retired from Pentax in 1992, when he started his business in Chicago and worked on current Pentax gear. In 2005 he fully retired and sold his business to his employees.

If you need to inquire email or call him Monday. If he can do it he'll tell you. If he can't, he'll tell you.

Eric Hendrickson

03-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump: Any other suggestions?

--DragonLord
03-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Bump: Any other suggestions?

--DragonLord

Sell it.

Seems fungus on your lens is extremely minor thing and that means - does not affects image quality. But cleaning might damage coating to that internal side of lens (because it will be washed, fungus killed with vinegar etc) then add some dust particles inside the lens and all that might result into visible traces of lens opening process (some scratches on black aluminum rings which ones are fixing together lenses).

Kill fungus.

Just keep lens in direct sun beams. And it`s done! And use it by yourself. Minor things does not affect image

But if you are perfectionist, you can try to sell it for good price and then get good copy for some little higher price:
1. There is a lot of people who understands that minor funguses, dust particles on side of lens does not affect image quality, so they can get some lens for some cheaper price;
2. And there is even "fungus hunters", people who like to clean funguses and talk. Although they are from Manual focus lens forums.

By myself I have cleaned 5 pentax lenses. Two of them was AF.

First one I damaged and started with expensive one.... Just didn`t knew how to open it, bought lens spanner (search ebay) and added too much pressure to ring what was second element to be opened. And then spanner moved to one side and I pressed with full body load (I tried really hard!) ;-) into front element...

Sold on ebay for cheap "for parts" :/

But! Before that I opened it finally. I even don`t want to say what lens I damaged... It is real shame (and fungus there was just tiny, tiny on one side... : )

So, perfectionist = sell.
Average user = just use it.
Gadget freak = try to open and clean (but after that it will cost much less, than with minor fungus). But it is easy! I just checked out on my copy of lens:
1. First you must make tool to turn around plate where is written SMC PENTAX-D FA 1:2.8.... That plate might be hiding some screws...
2. Buy on ebay lens spanner (then can re-sell) and turn out black ring which keeps in place front element lens. Clean it with cleaner what you have in your mouth (yes, it is the best! Just put lens in mouth for some minutes then carefully wash with soap and tap water, then wash with distilled water and clean with microfiber (freshly bought). All that must be done in "dust free" place. All tiny dust particles under front element will be magnified.

I found the best dust free place on my balcony on cold, snowy days. Then I am going to work precision works... on third floor balcony. Otherwise I have couple of really noticeable dust particles under front element.

Last edited by Vaards; 03-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.
04-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just sent my DA40 limited to Eric for repair. The aperture blades were sticking sometimes and very slow. Estimate for a complete cleaning, $48 plus $10 for return shipping.
04-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's on its way to C.R.I.S.. I know it's going to be expensive, but I prefer the assurance of an officially supported repair.

--DragonLord

04-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
UPON EVALUATION NO FUNGUS OBSERVED
ESTIMATE TO DISASSEMBLE LENS TO CLEAN INTERNAL DUST CONTAMINATION
ADJUST TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
REPAIR COMES WITH A 6 MONTH WARRANTY
$141.00 including shipping.

I'm glad C.R.I.S. did not find fungus in the lens...

In any case, I have approved the estimate and it will be back in May.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-14-2013 at 06:28 AM.