Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
da 15 fell to ground with tripod

Got my camera with da15 mounted on the tripod and fell to the ground. I just cannot pull out or push the hood in smoothly. I think the focus ring is not perfectly rounded. Any idea to fix it?

thanks

03-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You may want to post some pictures.
03-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Erm.... It sounds really bad enough..

How else can anyone here advise you other than to send it in at your expense or warranty?
03-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't force anything. The distorted parts have to be replaced.

03-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yjcs Quote
Got my camera with da15 mounted on the tripod and fell to the ground. I just cannot pull out or push the hood in smoothly. I think the focus ring is not perfectly rounded. Any idea to fix it?

thanks
its junk, sell it to me for $100
03-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Oh dear, that's not sounding too good, I think it's time to visit the repair centre.
03-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just use a little force and it will work just fine.

Or send it in to be repaired
03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks all for the reply. I can see that the gap between the hood and the focus ring is different in different direction. I can genteelly pull the hood out and bend it to a special angle the I can move the focus ring relatively easier. I think I can at least manual focus. I love this lens though.

03-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience in this matter. When traveling to Walt Disney World, I dropped my camera with a DA 15 attached within the first 45 sec of entering the Magic Kingdom. That has to be a record! I knew someone in my family was gonna cry at some point in the day. I just didn't think it would be me.

Anyway I always extend the hood. Thank goodness. It saved my lens. I bent the hood badly. Like you. I could not retract it. The lens was otherwise perfect in appearance. The focus ring was also jammed due to the hood. I slowly worked the hood out to a full extension that allowed the focus ring to travel normally. But I also know that it could now be pulled out just a bit further which tightened up the focus ring again. After getting home, I CAREFULLY took some cloth to cover the bent part of the hood and then using a needle nose plyers reshaped the hood. I took a long time working with the metal. It is possible to mold it so that it slides smoothly. Don't expect miracles. In the end, the hood worked well and the AF and MF. I hope this helps. Worse case is send it in. In my case fixing the hood solved everything. Note I didnt see how bad your damage was. I just know tha the force of the impact distorts the hood that interferes with the focus ring.

Mark
04-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #10

I have you beaten. Couple of years ago I bought a Fuji exr 200 for ~ 500$ the day before leaving for a trip in Cuba. Took a coupe of pictures in the plane on the way there, left it on the plane, under the seat... Never got it back.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Unfortunately I have a lot of experience in this matter. When traveling to Walt Disney World, I dropped my camera with a DA 15 attached within the first 45 sec of entering the Magic Kingdom. That has to be a record! I knew someone in my family was gonna cry at some point in the day. I just didn't think it would be me.

Anyway I always extend the hood. Thank goodness. It saved my lens. I bent the hood badly. Like you. I could not retract it. The lens was otherwise perfect in appearance. The focus ring was also jammed due to the hood. I slowly worked the hood out to a full extension that allowed the focus ring to travel normally. But I also know that it could now be pulled out just a bit further which tightened up the focus ring again. After getting home, I CAREFULLY took some cloth to cover the bent part of the hood and then using a needle nose plyers reshaped the hood. I took a long time working with the metal. It is possible to mold it so that it slides smoothly. Don't expect miracles. In the end, the hood worked well and the AF and MF. I hope this helps. Worse case is send it in. In my case fixing the hood solved everything. Note I didnt see how bad your damage was. I just know tha the force of the impact distorts the hood that interferes with the focus ring.

Mark