Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

"World Record"?..m42 SMC 85 1.8?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just had a look at "Kevins" website, as I do from time to time.
I noticed a 85 1.8 for $1000!!!!.......Surely a record asking price?
Cheers, Pickles.

03-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree. people sometime have crazy expections, I would buy FA77 or five Samyang in that price.
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will gladly sell all my lenses for half of his lowest asking price for them.
03-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well - you can ask any price you want. That doesn't mean you'll find someone to pay the price.

Tom G

03-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
"World Record"?..m42 SMC 85 1.8?
It can only become a world record if the seller can find someone daft enough to pay that price, watch this space.
03-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know someone here (it was not me!) who collects lenses of a certain vintage who will grudgingly admit he, in desperation, purchased an exquisite example of a difficult lens from Kevin.

In fact, that is Kevin's business model. He serves that very market and has done so for a long time. I've actually looked at a particular hood recently and nearly hit the buy button - but I realized I could have a good used lens for the same money. We all have our prices.
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep I’ve happily over paid for three Pentax K series lenses & one hood from Kevin’s Camera! Why because Kevin was the only place that had these lenses in the condition I was looking for with the lens accessories included. Kevin somehow seems to find these rare lenses in mint condition with cases & hoods.

As Paul mentioned Kevin’s Camera is for a niche market, mostly collectors. If you are looking for a cheap common lens, then skip him. You a least know what you are getting from Kevin. His descriptions and pictures tell the story and I’ve never had any issues with the condition of the items that I have bought from him. They were exactly as described.

At least with his prices you know the lens will still be available in a couple months from now, so you have time to digest how much you are going to have to pay and have time to shop around for a better price.

Would I buy from Kevin again? Absolutely!

Phil.

03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I’ve happily over paid for three Pentax K series lenses & one hood from Kevin’s Camera!
You outed yourself. I didn't do it!
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Kevin is worse than "French Camera" ... vente d ... J
03-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You outed yourself. I didn't do it!
Yep I freely confess I have purchased lenses from Kevin and I’m sure he has sold more than my three lenses over the last five years.

I have also purchased other hard to find Pentax lenses from eBay or Camera stores and the prices aren’t much different.

Like I said he is for collectors that need a specific lens for their collection, if you don’t collect hard to find Pentax lenses then he is not your man. These lenses just don’t turn up at KEH and if they do they are sold in hours.

I at least trust him for getting a decent product, which is more than I can say for other private sellers or stores.

I can afford his prices if I have to, so yep he’s in my favorite list!

Phil.
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is why people eventually buy from Kevin's

KX and SMC 85/1.8

At one point I thought the lens was mine and the KX looked like a nice addition. I have been sniped or outbid eight or ten time in the last three years on a clean 85 - and the prices just keep going up. At this rate I should just break the bank and buy an A*85/1.4 and be done with it.

Or sell all my MF lenses and buy the three FA Limiteds (which looks compelling right now).
03-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KX and SMC 85/1.8

At one point I thought the lens was mine and the KX looked like a nice addition. I have been sniped or outbid eight or ten time in the last three years on a clean 85 - and the prices just keep going up. At this rate I should just break the bank and buy an A*85/1.4 and be done with it.

Or sell all my MF lenses and buy the three FA Limiteds (which looks compelling right now).
But Kevin is charging $850 for a K85/1.8...

That auction wasn't even sniped, the final bid was nearly 6 minutes before the end of the auction.
03-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But Kevin is charging $850 for a K85/1.8...

That auction wasn't even sniped, the final bid was nearly 6 minutes before the end of the auction.
I didn't say I would buy from Kevin - at least not today. My price was $5 below the final price. That's how I do eBay. But if I got in a bidding war, who knows what the other bidder's price was?

Other people may not have the same willingness to wait or do without and they may have the money to pay Kevin. As to whether the other bidder was Kevin - and we'll see the lens on his site later - I wrote down the S/N just for grins.

And as I wrote, for a few dollars more than a K85 from Kevin I can get an A*85/1.4 BIN right now.
03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't say I would buy from Kevin - at least not today. My price was $5 below the final price. That's how I do eBay. But if I got in a bidding war, who knows what the other bidder's price was?
That's how I eBay as well, but if you really have to have something then sniping is the way to go. $400 in the last 15 seconds probably would have won that auction...
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
$400 in the last 15 seconds probably would have won that auction...
Prob. But that's $125 higher than what I initially AutoBid (and I broke my own rule by $100, to boot). I can od a lot of other things with $400 than buy a lens because it fills a hole on my shelf.