Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I think I got very, very lucky.

Right you are about Ebay prices for the older Pentax lenses, I almost gave up but stumbled across the BIN price for this lens and....Whewww!

I just bought a lens from our own forums and the nice thing is, if the members don't like the asking price the item does not sell.

The item I bought was not one of the "high tech" lenses, but it was something that I wanted to play around with. The seller was a great person and answered all my questions.

I'm now looking for a 600 f4 for under $500...anyone?

Ray
You might have to compromise your f/stop, but I see some pretty white Phoenix 650-1300's on eBay real cheap, brand new. It might compromise your image quality as well, but I have not seen any images from this lens, yet.

03-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #62
Igilligan

If as listed... you done good IMO

HEY Raybo
I think it was a very good price... I paid a few dollars more for mine and it was the most bang for the buck I have got with a lens. In fact if I had not just got my 28-75mm F2.8 in the mail and it needed to get tested, I doubt the Vivitar would have left my camera yet. (actually the weight of the vivi was a good workout for the 28-75mm haha) I was really beginning to appreciate it as a regular 100mm lens let alone how nice of a macro lens it is. Here are some of my very first shots with it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/20748-vivitar-series-1-105-macro.html
(there are some macros in the third or forth post...

also I did a quick couple of shots of a concert with it....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21217-b-w-color-help.html

considering that a plastic F3.5 macro just sold for 150 in the marketplace.... you got a steal on the vivitar... it is a classic piece of glass.

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-07-2008 at 09:52 PM.
03-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You might have to compromise your f/stop, but I see some pretty white Phoenix 650-1300's on eBay real cheap, brand new. It might compromise your image quality as well, but I have not seen any images from this lens, yet.
Was but a joke CR.

I just bought a 500mm reflex from one of the great sellers here, and i'm sure it will be fine for my purposes.

Ray

Last edited by Raybo; 03-08-2008 at 12:49 AM.
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
HEY Raybo
I think it was a very good price... I paid a few dollars more for mine and it was the most bang for the buck I have got with a lens. In fact if I had not just got my 28-75mm F2.8 in the mail and it needed to get tested, I doubt the Vivitar would have left my camera yet. (actually the weight of the vivi was a good workout for the 28-75mm haha) I was really beginning to appreciate it as a regular 100mm lens let alone how nice of a macro lens it is. Here are some of my very first shots with it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/20748-vivitar-series-1-105-macro.html

considering that a plastic F3.5 macro just sold for 150 in the marketplace.... you got a steal on the vivitar... it is a classic piece of glass.
Thanks Igilligan,

Now I just have to learn to use the damn thing correctly!
You have some nice images.

Ray

03-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Was but a joke CR.

Ray
Me, too. Should have put one of these in there:
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
HEY Raybo

Igilligan,

Lens arrived today and...........the son of a gun is NEW! I mean lens, case and original packaging look to be untouched!
Yep, this guy took very good care of his stuff, so I would not hesitate to buy from him again if the price is right.

Ray
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 100mm Macro f2.8

I am using the Pentax Macro 100mm f2.8. Excellent lens.

Ben

03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just two, but what a pair...!!

My choices, in order of preference
  1. FA* 200/4 macro - see lens review database
  2. FA 100/2.8 macro - great travel lens, very sharp (obtained first)
I cannot imagine NOT HAVING the FA* 200/4 macro - it was my first FA* lens purchase, and my second macro lens. Lots of reach, and it definitely has a learning curve because of it's focal length.

It's crazy sharp and the lens resolution is quite possibly the best ever made by Pentax. 100% crops are amazing...

Cheers,
Marc
03-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #69
Forum Member

Can someone here offer inputs on the F 50mm f2.8 macro - in comparison to other 50 macros? And, if worth purchasing, what would be a reasonable price to buy it if labelled 'excellent condition'?
03-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #70
Veteran Member

My favorite is the Voigtlander 125/.25 macro. The bokeh is superb, as the color rendition and sharpness. Manual focusing is also very easy due to the focus ring making nearly two full rotations. When I need a quick AF, I add to it the Pentax 1.7 AF converter.

When needing something lighter, I also use the excellent Pentax DFA 100/2.8 macro.
03-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 with extension tubes.

Irrelevant example, but I love the result.