Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Quick question re replacement hoods

Just scored a da 16-50 with a couple scratches on the front element and no hood for a very good price. Should I try and find a genuine pentax hood? some cheapo aftermarket petal-type or one of those rubber ones? What's a good replacement hood? I have no idea, but a hood is mandatory.

03-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have scratches on the front element, I think a hood is a "must". Finding the optimal hood is far less important than using a hood of some sort.
03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have a hood I got cheap off ebay to replace one I lost off my DA 18-55. Then found the missing one. side by side with the name hidden it is almost impossible to tell one from the other. there is a very slight difference in thickness thus weight but it works as well as the original.
03-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I have a hood I got cheap off ebay to replace one I lost off my DA 18-55. Then found the missing one. side by side with the name hidden it is almost impossible to tell one from the other. there is a very slight difference in thickness thus weight but it works as well as the original.
Ditto here. I was even able to move the window piece from an aftermarket hood onto a genuine Pentax hood and have it fit perfectly. Just use a hood.

pentax 16-50 hood | eBay

03-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems like most of the cheapo hoods are screw-on. Do these keep you from being able to use a cpl?
03-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I lost the hood off of my 16-45 lens a few years ago. It was around $ 75 for a replacement hood....which I declined. I haven't noticed any difference in my phoo's I would suggest before you go to the expense of getting another hood...try the lens out in sunny conditions.

If you notice issues....get a hood....if not....why get a hood.
03-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've found that the diff between a shaded lens and one exposed to direct light is huge. Plus, more times than I can remember, I've hit the hood against something that would have def scratched the lens had there not been a hood. Like I said, it is a must, I've just not had any experience with the aftermarket ones.
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I've found that the diff between a shaded lens and one exposed to direct light is huge. Plus, more times than I can remember, I've hit the hood against something that would have def scratched the lens had there not been a hood. Like I said, it is a must, I've just not had any experience with the aftermarket ones.
Absolutely. It's like folks that say - oh, the sun isn't that bad, I don't need a hat! and once they put on a good hat the relief is immediate. There is no substitute for a good hood, none.

03-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

I'd start off with the original Pentax hood designed for that lens and go from there.
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Absolutely. It's like folks that say - oh, the sun isn't that bad, I don't need a hat! and once they put on a good hat the relief is immediate. There is no substitute for a good hood, none.
wait... you mean I need a hat too?!! but which kind?!!!
03-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

you mean I need a hat too
You mean you haven't got one, all serious photographers always wear large highly coloured sombreros, even on dull days.

That's how you know they're masters of their art.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
03-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

wait... you mean I need a hat too?!! but which kind?!!!
One with a brim - no beret's!
03-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, I'm sold. Maybe I can shade my lens with my hat!
Apparently, they are also quite dapper....

Last edited by ChatMechant; 10-07-2016 at 09:12 AM.
03-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
cpk
Site Supporter

I would recommend a Tilley. But then I'm a Canadian (I have four of them, three for spring/summer/fall and one for winter).
03-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter

It seems like most of the cheapo hoods are screw-on. Do these keep you from being able to use a cpl?
There are those that screw on but also ones that mount as the original. I chose one that fit as an original so as to be able to flip it backwards for storage.
On another My hat means I can go out without my wife as she has said she wouldn't be caught dead near me with that thing on my head in public