Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax SMC 200mm F2.8 DA* Price in UK

Following on my earlier thread, now the 200mm comparison

Pentax SMC 200mm F2.8 DA* - 799
Canon EF 200mm F2.8 L USM Mk2 - 493
Nikon - Only do F2 or F4 so cannot compare (prices are 2398 and 939 respectively)

Now, it does not look good against the Canon, but it looks good value against the Nikon opposition, being less than either.

03-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the UK pricing is quite a bit higher than elsewhere, so I would say it is a situation specific to the UK. Lenses are global products, buy them where you can find them cheapest. I've got my photo equipment from Singapore, China, HK, Japan, Australia, Germany, the US and the UK - where ever I could find them the cheapest.

BTW I did try out the DA* 200 yesterday and it is one heck of a good lens.
03-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think the UK pricing is quite a bit higher than elsewhere, so I would say it is a situation specific to the UK. Lenses are global products, buy them where you can find them cheapest. I've got my photo equipment from Singapore, China, HK, Japan, Australia, Germany, the US and the UK - where ever I could find them the cheapest.
No it's not only UK. This situation is specific to European Union.
If we could buy lenses from outside EU, there wouldn't be local photo stores. But You know why we can't buy cheap lenses from Japan, USA and why our lenses are so damn expensive? Because of EU importing politics we have to pay ~18-20% VAT and custom duties.

I have bought many things from outside EU countries without paying VAT, but that is cheating and it doesn't work every time. Customs inspector can open the package and find a 80-200mm F2.8 lens inside, then he just opens the first link in google and calculates the VAT from ebay price, for example.

I realy hate all this. I wish I could get everything for US prices.