HELP! lens fell & cracked :( URGENT

THIS IS URGENT :'(

I got my Tamron 17-50 less than 12 hours ago & it fell while unmounting
Zoom, focus & aperture all working
Mounting & unmounting is a bit more rigid

But i noticed this crack (attached image) right below the zoom ring

The lens is working find but I need to fix this crack/seal it
HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS?!

P.S: Sorry for freaking out, it cost a decent sum for me & I'm about to lose my shit over this stupid mistake

Attached Images

03-30-2013, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If the mounting is tighter then it means that the metal mount is slightly bent, that is why the crack is open more away from it.
Tamron would be able to repair it, unless you are experienced in lens repair yourself. Not a terribly hard job but the little contacts
and springs are a pain.
You would have to remove the base and then the cracked shield could be removed and glued with a plastic weld, The mount would have to be carefully straightend
on a perfectly flat plate. It is plated brass so it is not hard to tap it back to flat.
Still with a drop hard enough to do that the alignment of the glass elements could be off and only the manufacturer would be able to correct that.
Your Call , good luck
03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
If the mounting is tighter then it means that the metal mount is slightly bent, that is why the crack is open more away from it.
Tamron would be able to repair it, unless you are experienced in lens repair yourself. Not a terribly hard job but the little contacts
and springs are a pain.
You would have to remove the base and then the cracked shield could be removed and glued with a plastic weld, The mount would have to be carefully straightend
on a perfectly flat plate. It is plated brass so it is not hard to tap it back to flat.
Still with a drop hard enough to do that the alignment of the glass elements could be off and only the manufacturer would be able to correct that.
Your Call , good luck
Thanks man; the mount does seem bent

I'm not experienced at all but sending it back is out of the question; brought to Egypt form Germany via a friend
I'll try to find a local lens repairman

I'm really worried about that crack & having something get inside the lens
I managed to seal the visible part with plastic tape, temporarily
But I'd really appreciate any tips on how best to seal it or deal with that crack
03-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Assuming you purchased the lens new, your credit card may provide theft or accidental damage coverage for up to 90 days from purchase. You should check with your card issuer. It's a fairly common card benefit. I'm not sure about international terms - I'm only referring to the U.S.-issued cards that I'm familiar with.

Paul

03-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's bad luck.
I'd say there will be more damage underneath that ring.
03-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That is really bad luck. Hopefully not a habit related to your @dstructor signature (sorry for bad pun).

My guess would be that the only real damage is a bent mounting ring and the cracked plastic. But is the plastic damage serious or cosmetic. It looks like it needs a profession opinion from someone who knows the lens construction. The cracked plastic might be cosmetic only in which case a bit of superglue and resin filler should work (not pretty but functional), but it could be part of the main structural bore of the lens.

You might be able to straighten the mounting ring as per @bobpur suggestion, but very slight bending of this type of part can be difficult to get right. An alternative might be to see it you can get a new mounting ring or a substitute from a similar old lens.
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
That is really bad luck. Hopefully not a habit related to your @dstructor signature (sorry for bad pun).

My guess would be that the only real damage is a bent mounting ring and the cracked plastic. But is the plastic damage serious or cosmetic. It looks like it needs a profession opinion from someone who knows the lens construction. The cracked plastic might be cosmetic only in which case a bit of superglue and resin filler should work (not pretty but functional), but it could be part of the main structural bore of the lens.

You might be able to straighten the mounting ring as per @bobpur suggestion, but very slight bending of this type of part can be difficult to get right. An alternative might be to see it you can get a new mounting ring or a substitute from a similar old lens.
LOL thanks for the laugh I needed that

Do you know any online store that sells such spare parts?
That'd be fantastic

EDIT: So far, the crack appears to be cosmetic, but before I fill it, I wanted a professional to see 'how far the crack is' under the zoom ring, you know?
Wouldn't want to fill only the external part

Last edited by dstructor; 03-31-2013 at 12:53 AM.
03-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Oh dear, it's time to bit the bullet and spend some money my friend with your friendly Tamron repair man.

You also need to get you self a pair of those sticky gloves, the type that football goal keepers use, when they catch the ball one handed in mid air.

03-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Update!:

Took the risk & trusted my tingling DIY sense...and unscrewed the mount :S

As stated: damage is in bent metal mount, making the aperture lever a tiny bit dampened in its action

As for the crack: unscrewed the plastic ring & verified it doesn't go further than visible under the zoom ring
Some epoxy as fill, spread on a piece of black wire-tape, should suffice.
The straightening needs to be done professionally though, & very accurately (not sure who can do it, but got a lead anyway)

However, it was a scary moment when removing the plastic ring as the board, cable & AF screw are attached to it with 2 circular metal plates under it with matching screw-holes that need to be aligned to be assembled

Thanking my lucky stars I managed to put it back together, and that the damage is not severe or affecting functionality
Thanks a lot for the help guys; at least it was nice sharing the woe & shock with those who understand these things

----
Edit:
Do you think Tamron should send me a copy for this testimonial of functionality after a >4-foot fall?

Last edited by Tom S.; 04-02-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Removed vulgarities
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
Update!:
Took the risk & trusted my tingling DIY sense...and unscrewed the mount :S

----
Edit:
Do you think Tamron should send me a copy for this testimonial of functionality after a >4-foot fall?
Seems like you have a functional lens, and just need a new mount. Well done. It seems your diy skills have served you well here.

Going deep into a lens is a bit easier when it is old and expendable, not brand new and precious.

The testimonial angle might be interesting if you can find someone who knows someone at Tamron. Or perhaps via the agents you bought it from. Perhaps not a new copy, but a new mount ring..?? Worth a try.

Last edited by Tom S.; 04-02-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Removed vulgarities
03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Seems like you have a functional lens, and just need a new mount. Well done. It seems your diy skills have served you well here.

Going deep into a lens is a bit easier when it is old and expendable, not brand new and precious.

The testimonial angle might be interesting if you can find someone who knows someone at Tamron. Or perhaps via the agents you bought it from. Perhaps not a new copy, but a new mount ring..?? Worth a try.
I studied the bent in the mount; it's not serious and looks very repairable

So, I'm going for a new lens :P haha
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

tape it and and pretend nothing happened.
04-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An impact like this will likely result in optical misalignment which only Tamron will be able to fix, if possible at all.
04-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
An impact like this will likely result in optical misalignment which only Tamron will be able to fix, if possible at all.
I took it for a test run after that, with flash & kino-flo...IQ didn't seem deteriorated at all

I'll do a newspaper test soon & let you all know what's up
04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Here's the lens test, after it fell & I unscrewed the mount & screwed it back several times to adjust
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 pentax 'post trauma' test

shot at 17, 24, 35 & 50mm, each at f2.8, f4, f5.6 & f8
iso 100 with +1EV (wide open it was 2", increased with each decrease of aperture)

Thanks to Chris Gampat from The Phoblographer for the idea to use a newspaper to test a lens