Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Why is f/5.6 more "magical"?
I assume that's to me since i asked what is so magical but I did not ask what was so magical about f/5.6 though.

As for the rest, it seems you're saying that lenses behave differently on a crop sensor, which most of us know but what your point is for the rest?

04-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

No, no.... Not directing it anywhere or to anyone... I'm just listing down my opinions as to making an image more 3D, one of the factors that is..

Hmm... I don't know how else to explain. Maybe harder by text? LoL! Perhaps looking at the distance scale and the aperture markings would roughly show one the effective DoF/focal plane and thus, anything that falls within the range of distance in a chosen f/stop as marked by the distance scale would be sharp. I think it's called hyperfocusing?

For example, look at the left and right range of distance that lies between f/4 as marked on the lens distance scale. That'll be how "thick" the focal plane would be.
04-04-2013, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
. . . DoF Preview was a crutch.
A "crutch"? Or a useful tool?

There are two primary factors that affect "3D pop". Separation of the subject and the background and the use of differential lighting. Both can be evaluated using the DoF preview function by those practiced in the use of that tool - or by manually stopping down to shooting aperture with those bodies without that feature; a common practice, especially when using larger format cameras with 'real' view finders.

The quality of "bokeh" in the OOF region, OTOH, is a physical characteristic of the lens, its FL and optical qualities and the shape of the aperture window.

One involves lens selection, the other requires craftsmanship in its use.

H2
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saying any feature on a camera that helps you shoot more easily is a crutch is akin to car enthusiasts slamming power steering and automatic transmissions as crutches because they make driving simpler. If there is a tool out there at your disposal and its easy enough to get to, I say use it.

You could argue the fact that the K-5II is so much more expensive than a K-30 is is because its loaded down with so many more 'crutches'.

04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lushdimple Quote
I've got those shots more by chance . . .
Looking at the rose image and your other Flicker shots I believe you're on the right "path to pop" but a little comparative experimentation might be useful.

Regarding the rose, had you moved closer to the subject, the relationship with the background would have changed as well as the apparent perspective of the view. Likewise for a change in focal length from the same position; and of course, any change in aperture as well. The light differential in that shot is quite good.

May I suggest you set up an "exercise" using a scene similar to the rose shot to explore some preplanned/scripted changes in the distance, aperture and focal length. Perhaps a three-way matrix of changes? Practical application will be quite valuable.

Using a browser that allows image comparisons and a DoF chart for your lens to help see relative changes in the esthetics of your sample shots will add to your understanding of the various parameters as well.
04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Looking at the rose image and your other Flicker shots I believe you're on the right "path to pop" but a little comparative experimentation might be useful.

Regarding the rose, had you moved closer to the subject, the relationship with the background would have changed as well as the apparent perspective of the view. Likewise for a change in focal length from the same position; and of course, any change in aperture as well. The light differential in that shot is quite good.

May I suggest you set up an "exercise" using a scene similar to the rose shot to explore some preplanned/scripted changes in the distance, aperture and focal length. Perhaps a three-way matrix of changes? Practical application will be quite valuable.

Using a browser that allows image comparisons and a DoF chart for your lens to help see relative changes in the esthetics of your sample shots will add to your understanding of the various parameters as well.
Many thanks for the comment, Pacerr. Finally someone looked at my photos
Yep, definitely I will experiment more, given thanks to all inputs to this thread now I know better about the effect, as well as key conditions I should consider to produce such kind of photo.