Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
A numbers based system is utterly worthless without guidelines and a frame of reference at the very least.
When I've done lens reviews,
I've used other people's ratings as the frame of reference.
Start with a 10 for a lens that does the job it's designed for
as well as can be expected subject to the laws of optics,
and then work down as you count out the serious faults.

03-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That would also be hard to do in a meaningful way.
One problem is to compare a "prima donna" lens
that just does one or two things excellently (say portraiture)
with a versatile "maid-of-all-work" that does most jobs well,
without being particularly outstanding.
This.

Despite having a few really nice lenses that are primarily geared towards this or that, my best useful all around coverage comes from a plasticy FA28-90mm leftover from being a kit lens for one of the 1990's era... something. Back when the concept of the future involved everything weighing as little as possible.

I love the 28-90, but when I can afford to replace it with an 18-135mm, that sucker is going away. Probably permanently unless I get a second body to use as a backup.

Versatility and quality unfortunately are almost always two separate critters. That said, when I'm shooting pictures of my kid at the playground, I'm just going for the moment rather then being artsy so quality be damned in those cases. I'm perfectly happy getting snapshot quality stuff then.
03-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
plasticy FA28-90mm leftover
That has to be the cheapest looking, feeling lens I have ever owned. And I've sold a half dozen images taken with it, including one of my best sellers. My DIL now has it on her k-x.
03-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That has to be the cheapest looking, feeling lens I have ever owned. And I've sold a half dozen images taken with it, including one of my best sellers. My DIL now has it on her k-x.
Its an amazingly useful sleeper of a lens. I think most people pick it up and feel the lack of any weight and just assume its trash when it's so much more then that.

04-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter

I never pay any attention to the ratings in the data base, only to what people write, especially some people I trust because I've seen their work. To be honest, a lot of people rate their own lenses too high. This is quite understandable. We all want our lenses to be good. But most people has never owned a lens that would deserve a 9 or 10 rating, if this were in any way linear or proportional in some meaningful way. Now I'm sure this post will annoy a lot of people...
04-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What would be far more interesting would be where people ranked from top to bottom the lenses they owned, zooms and primes separately, and then those ranking lists were somehow combined into a superset of rankings.

So for my prime lenses I'd rank them

FA31
FA77
K50/1.2
FA50/1.4
DA70
DA15
DA40
DA21
FA24/2

By combining lots of these ranking we'd get a pattern emerging of which are the "real" 10/10 lenses and not just which lenses were bought by novice users that compared well to their kit lens.
Except that, since my lens collection differes from yours the FA50/1.4 might be Number Nine for me - or Number One.

Great lens, but K200/2.5, K85/1.8, K105/2.8, A50/1.4, K28/2, K35/3.5 would all come before it. And probably FA35/2.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
04-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Now I'm sure this post will annoy a lot of people...
It should not, since it is 100% true. Ratings become more accurate with the increase in the sample size, but unfortunately very few of the listings have a large enough sample size to be very accurate.
04-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It should not, since it is 100% true. Ratings become more accurate with the increase in the sample size, but unfortunately very few of the listings have a large enough sample size to be very accurate.
It is also a question of the sample size people who rate have. If you never have used a "10"-rated lens, you will not know that they can be that good. I have about 120 lenses and only a handful of them should be rated 10. But at least I have the perspective to rate a lens 5 or 6 instead of 7 or 8 and so one.

04-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What would be far more interesting would be where people ranked from top to bottom the lenses they owned
This probably would be more useful, since lenses are often judged in relation to other lenses. The DA 18-55 is a good lens when judged relative to other kit zooms; not so good when judged relative to star and limited lenses.

My ranking for primes would be as followed:

K 50/1.2
DA* 300/4
DFA 100/2.8 WR
DA 15/4 Limited
K 28/3.5
K 35/3.5
M 20/4
M 50/1.7
K 200/4
M 50/2
M 28/2.8