Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here in South Africa the few local stores that stock Pentax usually offer better prices than local online. But even with VAT and shipping charges, the best local prices for new Pentax lenses are about 20-80% higher than the best US online prices (SA has no import duty on lenses!). The only reason now for me ever to buy local in South Africa is the warranty on SDM lenses (which was recently changed to 2 years).

04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I wouldn't know, I've never bought a Pentax lens new.

As far as B&M stores go, I wouldn't even consider buying locally. Even assuming I could find Pentax gear, and for the same price as online, there's the 10% sales tax to consider. If I had bought my K-5 IIs locally, I would have paid $130 in taxes. So, pay $130 in tax, or none at all? Tough choice.
If Arizona is like most states, you are required to report purchases you have made on which sales tax was not collected by the vendor and remit the sales tax due directly to the state. Failure to do so is tax evasion. Fortunately for you, state governments have no way to track such purchases made by individuals. Unfortunately for you, calling attention to evading taxes on a public forum is a potentially risky thing to do.

Just sayin'.
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

raising prices -> more buyers? i always look back and think about jumping back into pentax but the prices of lenses don't make any sense
even if there is a "special" premium for the water sealing, limiteds, etc.
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
If Arizona is like most states, you are required to report purchases you have made on which sales tax was not collected by the vendor and remit the sales tax due directly to the state. Failure to do so is tax evasion.
That's only if the seller has a presence in the state, which they call "nexus". Amazon has warehouses here, which gives them "nexus" in Arizona, so they have begun charging sales tax here. Retailers like B&H and Adorama have no presence in Arizona. Buying from them is clearly interstate commerce, so without a federal law for it, no local sales tax can be applied.

Congress is trying to change this, but they haven't done so yet. For now, avoiding sales tax by buying online is completely legal and above-board as long as the website has no presence in the state.

04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Move to NH and enjoy life without sales tax.

Joking aside, I think the prices are ridiculous. The 16-50 is NOT worth $1400 (or even $1000). It's good -- but not great. It's optically inferior to a MUCH cheaper Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50. The WR and SDM aren't really worth the $800 premium over the alternatives. For the old price of $750/800? Absolutely.

They're trying to jack up the prices closer to Canon/Nikon but they aren't raising the quality of their lenses. Canikon prices are jacked but not up to the level of Pentax when you compare the quality you get. It kind of ruined the whole Pentax being the affordable brand thing.
04-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's only if the seller has a presence in the state, which they call "nexus". Amazon has warehouses here, which gives them "nexus" in Arizona, so they have begun charging sales tax here. Retailers like B&H and Adorama have no presence in Arizona. Buying from them is clearly interstate commerce, so without a federal law for it, no local sales tax can be applied.

Congress is trying to change this, but they haven't done so yet. For now, avoiding sales tax by buying online is completely legal and above-board as long as the website has no presence in the state.
I think MPrince is right. Stuff purchased on the internet is not technically tax free, if you live in a state the charges sale tax. You are supposed to report it after the fact on your state tax form. Most people don't, but a lot of states are moving to close that loop hole and I expect within a couple of years there will not be any tax benefit to internet purchases, even if the end price may be a little cheaper that buying in a physical store closer to home.
04-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Re. sales tax, in some states you are obligated to report out of state purchases and pay taxes when you bring the item home. This applies to online purchases and in-person purchases. Out of state cars are the usual target, since the act of registering the car notifies the state.
04-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You didn't understand my point. Purchasing something from an out-of-state vendor who is not under your state's jurisdiction and therefore doesn't collect sales tax does not relieve you of the obligation to pay the sales tax directly to your state. (That's assuming Arizona's law is like most other states with sales tax). Interstate commerce has nothing to do with it.

Businesses that make such purchases generally have to report those purchases on their sales tax returns which are filed monthly or quarterly, and remit the tax not collected by the out of state vendor as a use tax. But states have no way to monitor such purchases made by individuals and lack the resources to audit individuals for compliance. Your final sentence above may be correct under Arizona law, but I doubt it.