04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Difference in Lenses

18-55mm AL and AL II ?

04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to Beginner's Q&A corner as this is a general question related to Pentax gear rather than a question specifically directed towards the B&H photo reps.

AL II version has significantly better image quality over the original AL version (contrast, sharpness and colour rendition). Just about everything else is the same.
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Sorry Ash, but a bit of awkward timing there. As you can see, I moved it here, virtually at the same time. Sorry.
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Version I came with a hood, quick-shift and a metal mount, introduced shortly after the 6 megapixel *ist D cameras were launched.

Version II was released to be the kit lens for the K20D, because the previous version started to look bad at 14 megapixels. It looks a lot like the original lens.

Then Pentax came out with two more variations of the same Version II formula. The DA-L has a plastic mount, no quick-shift focus and no distance scales. It comes in various colors too. The WR version is weather resistant, a different exterior style and all the upgraded features of the original Version II.

04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Version II was released to be the kit lens for the K20D, because the previous version started to look bad at 14 megapixels. It looks a lot like the original lens.
Good summary. (I'm sure you were implying this Dave, but just to be clear) the version II also included the hood, quick-shift and metal mount, and only lacks the WR.

I went to a bit of effort to sell my version I and acquire one of these shortly after I got my 1st Pentax DSLR (a K100D Super). It was a small improvement, but I didn't keep it very long, as I quickly found I wanted the better IQ and wider range of the DA17-70.
04-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, much appreciated info.