Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Practically all my bear shots have been taken with three lenses: either the FA*80-200/2,8, 300/2,8 or 500/4,5. The first two probably a bit more often than the last one. But it really depends on the site, how close you are, how much obstacles there are between you and the animals etc.
In the north days are long in the summer and with a bit of luck the light can be good. Usually bears move around rather calmly. However, if distracted their movement can be outright frantic. They often have an unpleasant tendency to move their head continously, even when strolling around peacefully. Therefore it is often better to revert to using pretty fast shutter speeds to freeze this motion. High ISO and/or lens speed may be needed.
Observing these animals is a really fascinating experience ! It can be hilarious, they sometimes behave just like humans ! But do listen carefully to what the local people/guide tell you. No messing with these guys !

Last edited by PePe; 04-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.
04-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I don't know if this thread was the catalyst, but I definitely had a dream (nightmare?) last night where I was chased by two talking grizzlies the entire time...

-Heie
Trying to collect on the Oktoberfest beer tab?
04-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There isn't a human alive that can outrun a bear in a foot race. Even black bears are very very fast. The riskiest shooting I have done was probably taking pics of a wild baboon troop with a DA* 300mm.
But as I always say, I don't have to out run the bear. I just have to outrun the guy beside me.
04-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #34
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Oktoberfest beer
Perhaps we should start a new thread to explore this in more detail, while leaning on a bar.

04-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Perhaps we should start a new thread to explore this in more detail, while leaning on a bar.
The first round is on me. And bring your underwater camera and whatever diving gear you can't bear to rent.

And Heie- while I didn't enter, this is fearless (but not stupid as I have training) as I look back at our surface support team when my dive buddy and I descended into Lake Superior through 60cm of ice to explore a ship wreck below us. The surface temps that day were around -9C to -12C. The water was of course a tiny fraction above 0C. Not quite unbearably cold. The camera was an Olympus 3020.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C3100Z,C3020Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
C3100Z,C3020Z  Photo