Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Quit bragging! Just because you are massively fleet of foot doesn't mean the rest of us are!

NaCl(with a sigma 8-16 I could probably get some nice close ups of bear teeth)H2O
There isn't a human alive that can outrun a bear in a foot race. Even black bears are very very fast. The riskiest shooting I have done was probably taking pics of a wild baboon troop with a DA* 300mm.

04-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baboons and Bears... You all are way brave.
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Baboons and Bears
Both of these are not available in Scotland, we just have another wee beastie to deal with occasionally.
04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Both of these are not available in Scotland, we just have another wee beastie to deal with occasionally.
Forgot about the Nessie. You would never catch me diving in them Lochs, trying to catch a shot.

04-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Like Normhead, I live in bear country ... black bear specifically which tend to be a trifle less aggressive and a bit more shy than other bear species, but still a LONG way from tolerating close encounters with humans. Listen to the above, take the long zoom and respect those bears!

Most locals are not afraid of bears, but we retain a healthy respect. We have seen first hand what a determined bear can do. We had a local bear, well known to the Department of Natural Resources. In fact, the DNR had tagged him twice, once in each ear and the locals called him Two-tag. Two-tag would wait on the edge of a thickly wooded section of highway. Dumb tourists would stop and toss him food, so he learned to tolerate humans fairly well. One tourist stopped at a local resort and told the owner about the 'tame bear' a couple miles up the road. Huh???? Oh yeah, this bear would sit up and beg for food, and it rolled over on its back... What made you think it was tame? Well, it had these things that looked like earrings and I thought a local owner had put them there. And it really liked it when I reached down to scratch its belly... YOU WHAT!!?? Damn tourist is lucky he still has that hand, let alone is still alive. Two-tags was a smallish black bear, but probably still around 250 pounds. I wouldn't want to ever have a bear even that size think I was a threat.
04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We've been to Alaska a couple times. The first time, our guide gave us some tips about looking out for bears. Alaska has two kinds of bears, black bears which are the smaller and less aggressive of the two and brown bears, also known as grizzlies, which are larger and more aggressive. When hiking, the guide said to make a lot of noise, dress in bright colored clothing for visibility and carry pepper spray. She said most bears do not want to have contact with humans, and if they hear or see you, will often run the other way. To prevent stumbling upon a bear, she also said to look for bear signs such as scratches on trees, as well as bear scat. You can tell the type of bear by it's scat: black bears have a diet that is mainly berries and fruit, and their scat is small and will contain bits of twigs. Brown bears on the other hand have larger scat and it will contain pieces of bright clothing and smell like pepper spray.
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

We have bears up here, but I've yet to ever see one.

I *have* had my way-to-close-of-an-encounter with a massive animal for my lifetime though. Damned thing decided it wanted to play with me (or more likely the purple station wagon I was in) - about gave me a heart attack trying to figure out what it was up to.

04-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
it will contain pieces of bright clothing and smell like pepper spray
That's the best bit of bear advice I've seen in a long, long, time.
04-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

As an aside, I keep misreading the thread title as "Beer Photography" and thinking "Why yes, that does sound fun."
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Baboons and Bears... You all are way brave.
I would rather take my chances with these Florida black bears than the baboons but I did get some fair shots of that troop when I was in the Eastern Cape. I missed a chance last August to get a pic of a black bear swimming the Wacissa River which is about 11 miles from the house. I only had a 100mm lens with me. As we sped up in the boat, he sped up.
04-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
As an aside, I keep misreading the thread title as "Beer Photography" and thinking "Why yes, that does sound fun."
Beer photography is a lot of fun. For some reason as the session progresses and the fun increases, my focus seems to suffer. Is it possible to have front focus and back focus at the same time?
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Beer photography is a lot of fun. For some reason as the session progresses and the fun increases, my focus seems to suffer. Is it possible to have front focus and back focus at the same time?
I noticed this as I was reviewing my images from Oktoberfest last year. As the day progressed there was a steady, incremental increase in the degree of tilt in all my images. I have still yet to confirm or deny if there was any correlation to the liters of beer consumed...

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-05-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
04-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #28

It all depends on the distance. Here are couple of bears with DA 70 in Yosemite. It was scary

I did not have a longer lens with me, and it was pretty much twilight already, so the quality is so-so.
04-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't know if this thread was the catalyst, but I definitely had a dream (nightmare?) last night where I was chased by two talking grizzlies the entire time...

-Heie
04-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I lived in NW Ontario for a while. Lots of Black Bears in the area.

An oldtimer told me that bears can not only run fast than you they can swim and climb better as well.

His advice was to give them lots of room.

Tom G