Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 495
50-200 replacement...

Well went out for a walk around the west Cornwall coast line today (Porthleven) and tried to use my 50-200mm DAL, but it seems that it didn't like my son (2 yr old) dropping it..... put it on, and the shutter went mental!

So look like I need a replacement 50-200, was thinking about just getting the Pentax DA 50-200 or the Samsung alternative (seem a bit cheaper).
Either then that I have been thinking of spending a bit more on a walk about lens 18-200 or 28-300.

I'm on a budget so can see my self just going for the 50-200, as I have the 18-55 DAL, cant afford not to use it

Anyone have any advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Steve

04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,531
Why don't you consider the 55-300mm? The DA55-300mm is lightly more expansive, but not much, and it will give you more reach. The IQ of the 55-300 is regarded also better than that of the 50-200mm.

Foof for thoughts.
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
Yes, pick up a DAL 55-300. There are two trims. The DA is more expensive.
04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 495
Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for you comment.

I did have a quick look, but they are around 100 dearer then I want to spent at the moment, a 2nd hand DA or Samsung 50-200 can be picked up for around 50-70, and a new Sigma 50-200 for 99 with 3 year warranty.

To be honest it's just to replace the capability, I hardly use the 50-200mm, I normally sit between the 20-45mm range, so some nice primes are on the horizon...

Cheers Steve

04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Hi,

Thanks for you comment.

I did have a quick look, but they are around 100 dearer then I want to spent at the moment, a 2nd hand DA or Samsung 50-200 can be picked up for around 50-70, and a new Sigma 50-200 for 99 with 3 year warranty.

To be honest it's just to replace the capability, I hardly use the 50-200mm, I normally sit between the 20-45mm range, so some nice primes are on the horizon...

Cheers Steve
I'd say just go without for awhile then, until you can afford the DA or DAL 55-300 (Identical Formula). The DA55-300 really can't be matched, for what it is.
04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,360
If you can stand manual focus, that focal range is the absolute easiest to find cheap on eBay. I picked up eight manual tele-zooms, including the well-regarded Kiron 70-210 f/4, for $10 total. Seriously, people are practically giving these things away.
04-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
If you can stand manual focus, that focal range is the absolute easiest to find cheap on eBay. I picked up eight manual tele-zooms, including the well-regarded Kiron 70-210 f/4, for $10 total. Seriously, people are practically giving these things away.
Hey, since you have the Kiron 70-210, i guess i could try get some help from you.

My Viv S1 70-210/2.8-4 don't seem to be able to focus to infinity from ~150mm onwards, any help?

PS: To TS, if you don't mind MF, either the said lens would be good and cheaper alternative.
04-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13
The Tamron 70-300 can be found pretty cheap, not great at the long end and liable to purple fringing but the macro/close focus would be an addition to your options. I've seen plenty of excellent images from this lens. Use it as a stepping stone to the DA/DAL 55-300.

Some of the other F range zooms might be worth a look. 35-135 and 70-210.

I'd recommend getting the DA35 f2.4 as it is such fun and the image quality superb for the money. It might be out of your price range though. It is in your focal length norm.

04-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
I saw a Tamron 18-250 on KEH for $299, that is a well regarded lens and will be handy forever as a superzoom. I got my DAL55-300 on Ebay for the same price new, remember it is not available as a boxed product, dealers sell them as a split kit. Otherwise you could pick up either cheaper on EBay secondhand, they are pretty reliable as both run screw drive focusing.
04-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,828
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
I did have a quick look, but they are around 100 dearer then I want to spent at the moment, a 2nd hand DA or Samsung 50-200 can be picked up for around 50-70, and a new Sigma 50-200 for 99 with 3 year warranty.
You'll be hard-pressed to get a decent lens for less than 50, so I'd go for this. The Sigma is supposed to be not as good as the Pentax. If you liked your old lens, then why change ? Get another similar one.
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
Senior Member
jwc77's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 265
I will second the recommendation to look at the F 70-210. I picked it up to replace my 50-200 (which I never really like the results I got from). I really like the F 70-210 though...great color and you can usually find one fairly cheap.
04-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,360
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hey, since you have the Kiron 70-210, i guess i could try get some help from you.

My Viv S1 70-210/2.8-4 don't seem to be able to focus to infinity from ~150mm onwards, any help?

PS: To TS, if you don't mind MF, either the said lens would be good and cheaper alternative.
I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, since mine doesn't have any issues like that. In fact, it goes a little beyond infinity. It's a really nice lens, but it doesn't get out much because it's so big and heavy. I think your Vivitar is slightly smaller.

QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
I will second the recommendation to look at the F 70-210. I picked it up to replace my 50-200 (which I never really like the results I got from). I really like the F 70-210 though...great color and you can usually find one fairly cheap.
That's a good choice, too. If you really want cheap, look for the Takumar F 70-210 variant. It's the same lens minus the SMC coating, and it costs half as much ($50). I got mine for much less, practically free when you consider that it came with a multicoated filter attached. They're small, but heavy. Don't let the plastic on the outside fool you. This lens is solid. Contrast is a little low, but that's extrememly easy to fix on the computer.
04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 495
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dougf8 Quote

I'd recommend getting the DA35 f2.4 as it is such fun and the image quality superb for the money. It might be out of your price range though. It is in your focal length norm.
Hi,

Have been thinking about one of those, can be picked up 2nd hand and a OK price for me, but there is also the DA 40mm XS f2.8 which a company is selling at a very good price new, at the mo it's cheaper then the DA 35mm f2.4.
So in two minds if to replace my 50-200mm which I didnt really use, was just handy for if and when, or something I may use a fair bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You'll be hard-pressed to get a decent lens for less than 50, so I'd go for this. The Sigma is supposed to be not as good as the Pentax. If you liked your old lens, then why change ? Get another similar one.
The reason I thought about going for the DA over the DAL 50-200, as I thought the DA was a bit better build quality etc? It's nice just having the capability, would have been handy yesterday, but I think the haze was a bit of a issue on long distance yesterday.

Cheers, Steve
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,828
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
The reason I thought about going for the DA over the DAL 50-200, as I thought the DA was a bit better build quality etc? It's nice just having the capability, would have been handy yesterday, but I think the haze was a bit of a issue on long distance yesterday.
The build is better, particularly the metal mount, but you probably won't notice the difference in real life. The quick-shift manual focus might be an interesting bonus if you like MF. Optically they are the same.
04-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,270
My DA L 50-200 sits unused most of the time. I tend to grab it only if I am really pinched for carry space and weight. The DA L 50-200 is darn near the same size and weight as the DA L 18-55 and uses the same 52mm filters (although about the only filer I might take in such conditions is a CPL and maybe a UV.

The 3 lenses I use the most for general photography are #1 my F35-70 ... When I couldn't use my feet to zoom, it always felt that the next image needed the lens that was on the other side of 55mm. The F35-70 is sharp, and nicely covers that gap. It is a toss up which is #2 & #3 ... my DA L 18-55 or my DA L 55-300.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, walk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K-5 body, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, 18-250, 50-200, 55-300, Tamron 1.4x TC, and a DA 21mm einstrigger Sold Items 8 12-15-2012 12:33 AM
M 200 replacement Wired Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 12-18-2011 01:17 AM
advice on a replacement for 50-200wr adwb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 05-31-2011 01:52 PM
50-200 replacement - any recommendations ? simonkit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 09-02-2007 08:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top