Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
a couple of questions now that I have a 500mm tele...

Couldn't resist... lba struck.. again...
I picked up a classic Takumar 500mm 4.5 - at $160US I think I got a damn fine deal - how could I resist???
Anyways... I knew from the reviews... this thing is a beast... going to have some fun shooting eagles and other wildlife around our property
Any recommendations on a good tripod to match with something this big? It weighs close to 8 lbs.

Second... (don't laugh) I'm trying to figure out if a teleconverter would be useful for those shots where 500mm just isn't enough (shooting a hummingbird at 500 m? Will pretty much any TC work? any recommendations of one that would be best to mate with a classic Takumar tele?

04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will now get recommendations for the $500+ tripod to go with that deal of a lens :-)
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had one of those once and enjoyed it--it taught me a lot. As far as tripod is concerned, I'd recommend that you get one with a load rating about 2x the weight of the lens + camera.

A good TC will work ok. I used the AF 1.7x (but that required inserting aluminum foil between the lens and adapter--I'll let someone else explain) with pretty good results in good light. Otherwise (the 1.7x is expensive), go with a decent 1.4x. Also be prepared to deal with fringing in PP. Finally, be patient: it takes a while to get the hang of shooting with long lenses.
04-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
recommendations on a good tripod
You might also want to consider a Wimberley type of gimbal head for this new tripod, just to make things easier in use.

04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to use the A 1.4x-L rear converter, but can't be sure as I have a modified K-mount fitted to mine. The lens also has a very long minimum focus distance, but you can reduce that with some tube extensions.

My Tak500 with 1.4xL and tube-extensions and K200 tacked on.
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
Couldn't resist... lba struck.. again...
I picked up a classic Takumar 500mm 4.5 - at $160US I think I got a damn fine deal - how could I resist???
Anyways... I knew from the reviews... this thing is a beast... going to have some fun shooting eagles and other wildlife around our property
Any recommendations on a good tripod to match with something this big? It weighs close to 8 lbs.

Second... (don't laugh) I'm trying to figure out if a teleconverter would be useful for those shots where 500mm just isn't enough (shooting a hummingbird at 500 m? Will pretty much any TC work? any recommendations of one that would be best to mate with a classic Takumar tele?
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You will now get recommendations for the $500+ tripod to go with that deal of a lens :-)
Not quite but a 350 gimbal head (I have a Jobo) is worth while
04-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
interesting... I decided to play around with my 2X vivitar macro Teleconverter... and it seems to work! I'm definitely going to have some fun with this lens...