Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tamron Telephoto SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro on its way

I just purchased this lens and its on its way. A week or so ago I took some pictures at night on a lit field for a coworkers soccer game. I was using my K-x and a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 and I was fairly 'happy' with the results. I do need to work a little on technique and remember to turn off the shake compensator when mounted to a monopod.

In reviewing my pictures I noticed the better ones appear to be at the 70mm area. Is it a decent assumption that the Tamron Telephoto SP AF 90mm would also be a good choice of use for the soccer games? It is lighter so would be a lot easier on me and Im at the boundary lines so im not that far away and have free roam around the perimeter.

Thanks for your time.

04-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 90mm is well regarded by Pentaxians. I have it, but possibly under-utilise it.

I think that the Tamron 90mm may be a bit short for soccer IMHO. I use the Tammy for Volley ball training and match photographs, but the court is only 9 m by 9 m!

Also will you shoot during daytime or evenings, and what camera do you use?

With the K-7, not too good at high ISO, I tend to prefer to use a faster lens (f1.4 or f1.8) )for low light shots: e.g., indoor and evenings. With the K-01 (and it would be the same with K-5, K-30), I can use higher ISO and this is less a problem. The Tamron 90mm would be fine.

Hope that the comment may help.
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's a great macro lens. But because it's macro, it has to go a long way if it misses focus. It does have a nice manual ring though. For sports... everyone seems to think the Sigma 70-200 is the fastest focussing... but probably not good for you since you already have the Tammy. Whenever we use this lens it gives us superior images if you actually catch your subject in focus. We used it for birds in flight a while ago, me with my DA*60-250. I got more good shots. But her best was better than my best. Of course there were so many variables we don't want to draw conclusions, but just saying, you can do great work with that lens. In terms of cost, it hits way over it's head, also on canon and Nikon, not just on Pentax.
04-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
the better ones appear to be at the 70mm area.
It would be helpful to know what you consider "better".

Longer focal lengths are more susceptible to motion blur attributed to magnification. Tracking fast motion with AF in dim light would also be affected by longer FLs.

H2

04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
My experience

I've owned this lens for some time and found it freakishly sharp, to the point where it is a bit unflattering to people's faces unless reduced to black and white.
I recommend the Tamron 90 for sports, but if you find yourself fairly close to the action, consider that a color portrait is probably better attempted with another lens.
04-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Used with the focus limiter, it's moderately quick at focusing. You may have trouble with players running towards or away from you at any angle.
04-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

@Pacerr Better meaning just it seemed the 70mm pictures came out better then say the 150mm pictures. Of course this could be attributed to my technique, hand shake etc. However in reviewing the pictures the consistently better (in focus, no blur, etc) were in the 70mm range.

@normhead Thanks that is what I kind of wanted to hear. I mean with memory cards the way they are I have time to practice and get 1 or two good shots out of every ten or 15. That is until I improve overall.

@hcc So far just night games however the filed is lit fairly well. I will be moving onto day games as the weeks go by so (of course depending on weather) light will be better. Im using a K-x. Im more or less right on the sidelines so it is not really that far away so im good with that.

@Harm and Jin Im fairly close but tend to try and stay away from players running toward or near me. Deathly afraid of injuring my camera... I will need to read up and understand the focus limiter.

Sad thing is I was unable to make the game last night because of the late delivery of the lens. So it will have to wait until next week. Just cause here is a link to the last game I took pictures of. There is some Post processing to make them sharper etc.

The team was happy but I still see room for improvement.

Home - Soccer Gallery
04-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

shake reduction

Is it recommended to disable SR with a monopod also? I will be using the K-30 with the Tammy 70-200 f2.8 for track and field with a mono for the first time this Monday . Always hand held the 55-300 but the Tammy is a little bulky for hand hold .

04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Is it recommended to disable SR with a monopod also? I will be using the K-30 with the Tammy 70-200 f2.8 for track and field with a mono for the first time this Monday . Always hand held the 55-300 but the Tammy is a little bulky for hand hold .
I don't even disable the SR on a tripod. It's automatically disabled when I shoot with the 2 second delay. If your hand is on the camera, you need SR, at least that's the way I see it.
04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #10

Thanks , that's what I thought because when you are panning with a mono movement still exists. The auto SR override with the shutter delay is a nice function.